Re: [WarOf1812] tobacco

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      In a recent discussion on this list about cigars/tobacco being present in
      Upper Canada, I have found some information. In 1822 (a few years after
      the war) John McGregor and William Chrysler of Kent county, had crops of
      tobacco that produced as much as 2000 pounds per acre. There was also a
      duty on leaf tobacco inported from the US.
      The article does not say anything about tobacco being produced in Kent
      during 1812-1814, but the soil conditions and weather were favourable for
      tobacco as well as a market for it.

      Mark Dickerson