Re: [WarOf1812] reenactor shot with live round

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
      OK Michael, so let's review.

      The guilty party was a minor, so I assume we are talking of someone who should not have been on the field with a weapon in the first place.
      The weapons he and his friends were carrying were not period correct, in fact they were modern.
      The individual had been observed 'showing off' with said weapon earlier in the day and was then allowed to take the field with it.

      So what you are saying here is that there was a total lack of supervision by his officers and NCOs, this is exactly why we once had a rule in the NA British forces that any person in direct command of troops must not, under any circumstances, fire a weapon with the men. The job of the officers (including NCOs whith direct command) is command and control, watching the men, moving them, checking on their safety.
      On a higher level what happened to the safety inspection? if there wasn't one the high up heads should roll, if there was one and this individual was allowed on the field his imediate commaners head should roll. If this idiot was banned from the field and then seeked on anyway there needs to be a serious review of security and as an indivitual he needs to be banned from re-enactment for life and his particulars circulated to other period organisations. Harsh? Well if we don't police ourselves the Police will!

      From: KILTONE@...

      Subject: [WarOf1812] reenactor shot with live round

      Shiners,

      Some of you may have already read this, but for those that have not,
      this is why we check equipment again and again and again, safety first,
      authenticity second. fun third.

      <<Oh crap... this is all we need?!?
      Marsh

    • hm95thfoot
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
        Until somebody can come up with any confirmation that this actually
        occurred, and recently, I'm going to have to call BS on this whole
        thing. Names? Dates? Place? I tried a google search on them, nothing
        comes up on this re injuries at a reenactment.

        I've seen some whoppers before on the Internet, and I've learned to
        become rather mistrustful about "sky is falling" types of posts and
        news, until I see confirmation from multiple sources.

        RWF

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
          Well as the original post is writen by someone who said he was there to actualy whitness the incident I was assuming it was true. ut true or not I stand by my opinion stated below. On re-reading it I don't think I made any 'sky is falling' statements. If so please point them out. Safety is of prime importance and in my 32 years of re-enacting I have seen incidents that came very close to what was stated.

          Until somebody can come up with any confirmation that this actually
          occurred, and recently, I'm going to have to call BS on this whole
          thing. Names? Dates? Place? I tried a google search on them, nothing
          comes up on this re injuries at a reenactment.

          I've seen some whoppers before on the Internet, and I've learned to
          become rather mistrustful about "sky is falling" types of posts and
          news, until I see confirmation from multiple sources.

          RWF

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:
          > OK Michael, so let's review.
          >
          > The guilty party was a minor, so I assume we are talking of
          someone who should not have been on the field with a weapon in the
          first place.
          > The weapons he and his friends were carrying were not period
          correct, in fact they were modern.
          > The individual had been observed 'showing off' with said weapon
          earlier in the day and was then allowed to take the field with it.

          > So what you are saying here is that there was a total lack of
          supervision by his officers and NCOs, this is exactly why we once
          had a rule in the NA British forces that any person in direct
          command of troops must not, under any circumstances, fire a weapon
          with the men. The job of the officers (including NCOs whith direct
          command) is command and control, watching the men, moving them,
          checking on their safety.
          > On a higher level what happened to the safety inspection? if there
          wasn't one the high up heads should roll, if there was one and this
          individual was allowed on the field his imediate commaners head
          should roll. If this idiot was banned from the field and then seeked
          on anyway there needs to be a serious review of security and as an
          indivitual he needs to be banned from re-enactment for life and his
          particulars circulated to other period organisations. Harsh? Well if
          we don't police ourselves the Police will!

          > Cheers
          >
          > Tim

          The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of square
          miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
          miles...