reenactor shot with live round

  • KILTONE@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
      Shiners,

      Some of you may have already read this, but for those that have not,
      this is why we check equipment again and again and again, safety first,
      authenticity second. fun third.

      <<Oh crap... this is all we need?!?
      Marsh

      Greetings All:

      Yesterday, a member of the LAH was participating in a Civil War
      re-enactment when he was shot by a live round. Fortunately, it appears
      he's going to be OK but it just goes to show how dangerous our hobby can
      be when safety and ammo inspections are not conducted by event
      coordinators. As many of you know, this is not the first incident of
      this kind in our hobby. Below is the account of the incident by another
      participant. I have changed the names to protect their identity.

      Dale Taylor
      Kommandeur, 1.LSSAH

      Gentleman,

      While at a civil war event this past weekend, Joe Smith and I saw
      what could have been a fatal mistake and could have got some people
      killed. This is my account of what happened. I was there.

      Joe and I decided to go to the Demarie Festival this past weekend. This
      is a small event that alot of local reenactors go to. When we got there
      we saw several people that we knew. We decided to do Confederate this
      weekend. This was a small reenactment that turned into a nightmare. What
      happened is the normal progression of a civil war battle. First there
      was a cannon assault like normal.Then the Calvary went on the field and
      fought. Then the infantry formed a line and started to give fire
      support. This is when the reenactment turned bad.

      I was on the infantry line. I went to one knee and started to load my
      weapon. I went to my cartridge box, grabbed a black powder cartridge and
      went to load. I fumbled the cartridge. It fell to the ground. I
      picked-up the cartridge and poured the black powder down the barrel. I
      then went to cap the weapon. That's when I heard "I'm hit, someone is
      using live rounds and I'm hit". I looked up and saw John Doe with blood
      squirting out two spots on his hand. I then dropped my weapon and went
      over to him and looked at both of his wounds. He had been shot. By what
      I didn't know and at the time didn't care. I then put pressure on the
      wounds and yelled for a cloth. Someone gave me cloth
      and I wrapped his hand and kept pressure on it. I elevated his hand and
      tried to keep John calm. An off duty police officer asked me if he
      needed a ambulance. I said yes.

      The Paramedics came and looked John over. They were going to airlift him
      to St. Johns Mercy but John Said " If you have drugs, I'll ride". The
      paramedics wanted to look him over some more and wanted to cut off his
      uniform. John said " you are not cutting off this uniform". His uniform
      by that time had blood all over it. The paramedics loaded him up and
      took John to the hospital.

      What I saw was John took a hit from a small caliber gun or a piece of
      shrapnel. I saw a entry wound to the right of John's middle knuckle and
      a exit wound by wrist with a large knot in the middle.

      Then the police came.. The officers asked me alot of questions. They
      wanted to know what happened and I told them.

      To make a long story short, here's what the police found. A minor had a
      modern style .22 cal pistol. There was also a modern break open style
      short barrel shotgun that was used. It appears that this minor didn't
      check to see if the gun had blanks or live rounds in it. It appears that
      the .22 had live rounds. It also appears that the minor shot 5 live
      rounds at the confederates. One of the rounds hitting John Doe in the
      hand. Other people at the reenactment heard the impact of the rounds
      hitting around the hill they were sitting on. I don't know what happen
      to the minor in question but I do know the police talked to the minor
      with the shot gun and the .22 cal pistol.

      I saw the minor with the .22 cal pistol and a quick draw style holster
      before the reenactment. I said that the pistol and holster didn't belong
      on the battlefield. I was not with that group and I don't think that
      minor was supervised.

      There was not a safety check of weapons at this event. No one looked at
      any of the weapons or uniforms at this event to see if they were up to
      standards. If there was, this little incident wouldn't have happened. I
      saw this minor quick drawing this pistol in front of his friends. If
      this minor would have drawn and shot that pistol at short range, he
      would have killed someone. That someone might have been me or one of his
      friends. NOT GOOD...

      I haven't heard from John. I hope he's doing fine. If this shot would
      have been 6-8 inches to John's right, he might have taken a direct to
      the chest area. The minor endangered me, all the reenactors and public.

      I guess I'm telling you this story to reiterate what I consider to be
      basic safety measures with firearms. Always check your firearms.. Make
      sure they are in proper working order with the BFD affixed. NEVER BRING
      LIVE ROUNDS TO A REENACTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Always have safety and uniform checks at all reenactments...>>

      Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant
      Captain Michael Monahan
      Grenadier Company
      His Majesty's Fifth Regiment of Foot
      (In America)

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
        OK Michael, so let's review.

        The guilty party was a minor, so I assume we are talking of someone who should not have been on the field with a weapon in the first place.
        The weapons he and his friends were carrying were not period correct, in fact they were modern.
        The individual had been observed 'showing off' with said weapon earlier in the day and was then allowed to take the field with it.

        So what you are saying here is that there was a total lack of supervision by his officers and NCOs, this is exactly why we once had a rule in the NA British forces that any person in direct command of troops must not, under any circumstances, fire a weapon with the men. The job of the officers (including NCOs whith direct command) is command and control, watching the men, moving them, checking on their safety.
        On a higher level what happened to the safety inspection? if there wasn't one the high up heads should roll, if there was one and this individual was allowed on the field his imediate commaners head should roll. If this idiot was banned from the field and then seeked on anyway there needs to be a serious review of security and as an indivitual he needs to be banned from re-enactment for life and his particulars circulated to other period organisations. Harsh? Well if we don't police ourselves the Police will!

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
          Until somebody can come up with any confirmation that this actually
          occurred, and recently, I'm going to have to call BS on this whole
          thing. Names? Dates? Place? I tried a google search on them, nothing
          comes up on this re injuries at a reenactment.

          I've seen some whoppers before on the Internet, and I've learned to
          become rather mistrustful about "sky is falling" types of posts and
          news, until I see confirmation from multiple sources.

          RWF

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
            Well as the original post is writen by someone who said he was there to actualy whitness the incident I was assuming it was true. ut true or not I stand by my opinion stated below. On re-reading it I don't think I made any 'sky is falling' statements. If so please point them out. Safety is of prime importance and in my 32 years of re-enacting I have seen incidents that came very close to what was stated.

            Until somebody can come up with any confirmation that this actually
            occurred, and recently, I'm going to have to call BS on this whole
            thing. Names? Dates? Place? I tried a google search on them, nothing
            comes up on this re injuries at a reenactment.

            I've seen some whoppers before on the Internet, and I've learned to
            become rather mistrustful about "sky is falling" types of posts and
            news, until I see confirmation from multiple sources.

            RWF

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:
            > OK Michael, so let's review.
            >
            > The guilty party was a minor, so I assume we are talking of
            someone who should not have been on the field with a weapon in the
            first place.
            > The weapons he and his friends were carrying were not period
            correct, in fact they were modern.
            > The individual had been observed 'showing off' with said weapon
            earlier in the day and was then allowed to take the field with it.

            > So what you are saying here is that there was a total lack of
            supervision by his officers and NCOs, this is exactly why we once
            had a rule in the NA British forces that any person in direct
            command of troops must not, under any circumstances, fire a weapon
            with the men. The job of the officers (including NCOs whith direct
            command) is command and control, watching the men, moving them,
            checking on their safety.
            > On a higher level what happened to the safety inspection? if there
            wasn't one the high up heads should roll, if there was one and this
            individual was allowed on the field his imediate commaners head
            should roll. If this idiot was banned from the field and then seeked
            on anyway there needs to be a serious review of security and as an
            indivitual he needs to be banned from re-enactment for life and his
            particulars circulated to other period organisations. Harsh? Well if
            we don't police ourselves the Police will!

            > Cheers
            >
            > Tim

            The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of square
            miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
            miles...