Re: Brown Bess Accuracy -

  • Peter Monahan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2005
      Mr Hobbs

      While I was perhaps trying for a touch of levity I did not intend to trivialize the issue. Then original question is one we all need/want an answer to, as we're asked so often.
      However, my "contribution" was a comment on the direction the chat (among we listers) had taken: so many variables have been introduced into the equation, IMHO, that no accurate answer IS possible. At which point, I submit, "It depends" is if not an answer at least a preface to an answer.

      My shillings worth. I'll shut up now. :7)

      PM
      From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>
      Date: 2005/09/20 Tue PM 10:49:53 EST
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: REPLY#3: [WarOf1812] Brown Bess Accuracy - Grapeshot

      Dale;

      Thank you for the input regarding grapeshot. That is why I am still a NEW gunner. As my gun captain once told me, "Deans, the next time you heat a cannon ball cherry red hot to set fire to a ship, make sure that you use a smaller than normal cannon ball that will fit down the barrel".

      Once again the anecdotal evidence comes back to the proverbial 100 yards. Are there any professional armourers out there with an opinion? Is there anything in the literature that will answer the question? Was accuracy a factor in the conjecture that British muskets killed more and American muskets wounded more in the War of 1812 or was this just another myth?

      Gord Deans, Royal Navy (1812)
      "Just an old sailor, but a new gunner."