Re: beware eBay "phishing" scam to Yahoo.com addresses

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
      Kevin,
      You must have missed my original note's comment comparing the polished
      level of the one I saw to the cruder phishing emails I had seen in the
      past. Having been in network security well before the Melissa outbreaks
      of 1999, I don't disagree when you say that "phishing" scams have been
      around several years.

      But experience in monitoring virus, spam, email scams, etc. and all
      manner of nasties that even the best-patched Windows users ran into --
      showed that 99.5 % of the time, users are receiving something that
      Internet security firms already know about. <It's because they can
      legitimately run 'honeypot' operations to attract 'flies'>

      In dealing with 1000s of networked PCs over many years, I only once
      stumbled across a undetectable piece of particularly nasty malicious
      code that was not already known to major anti-virus companies. Only one
      had seen it, and then only 2 days earlier. They said it was not
      then "in the wild", and wondered how I discovered it and what the
      delivery vector was. Naturally, I half-hoped that one of the number of
      companies I sent pre-authorized and carefully packaged samples to would
      name it after me.

      Not being smug old chap, just pointing up why I recommended that users
      delete strange messages. (Ok, Ok -- if you want to be really technical,
      also add don't open attachments and use shift-delete to really
      nuke 'em).

      Enough tech claptrap from my end. Think I'll close up shop and go do
      some reel <g> fishing.

      Dave W

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@s...>