Re: [WarOf1812] beware eBay "phishing" scam to Yahoo.com addresses

  • Matthew James Didier
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
      -- DO NOT READ if you hate being too off topic --

      VERY off topic... but bear with me.

      If you receive an e-mail from a bank (yes, even Canadian and U.K. banks...
      not just American) as well as eBay or PayPal that says that you're account
      needs updating or suspending, DON'T EVER assume it's on the level.

      DON'T click on the link in the e-mail... go to the site as you normally do
      or type the address into the URL address bar in your browser. Log into your
      account from there and if there's a problem, they will tell you there.

      As a former bank employee, I can also tell you this PERFECT tip... NO ONE
      (not even a bank teller) should EVER ask for your PIN number. This should
      ONLY ever be typed in by yourself to an ABM (bank machine) or to an
      Interac/Cirrus type machine... or at your (physical branch) bank on a
      machine in the branch... NEVER GIVE YOUR PIN NUMBER TO ANYONE ONLINE.... ever!

      If you do or have, go to your bank (actual branch) or call their "hotline"
      (via phone) right away and change the PIN.

      So, one of the easy ways to spot a "phishing trip" is to look for the
      link/page/e-mail ASKING you for a PIN number...

      http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/p/phishing.html

      When it comes to your finances, like many things in medicine, piloting and
      when dealing with black powder, "When in doubt, DON'T!"

      If you're still "worried" that e-mail is truly about your account being
      suspended or the like, CONTACT THE SITE/INSTITUTION VIA E-MAIL and ask...
      DON'T hit reply and DON'T use the link in the e-mail... go to the site and
      send a mail to their general contact e-mail and ask about the mail you
      received BEFORE giving out your information to anyone... Wait for their
      response.

      Sorry to chime in, but I get dozens of e-mails per day from people worried
      that their eBay, Canada Trust, CIBC, Royal Bank, Paypal, etc. account is in
      jeopardy... when it's only a "phishing trip" from some scam artist.

      Sorry again...

      Y'rs...

      Matthew

      - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
      Matthew James Didier - Generic Ne'er do well...

      Webmaster/Honourary Member of The Incorporated Militia
      of Upper Canada - http://www.imuc.org/

      Webmaster/Honourary Member of The Norfolk Militia
      (Heritage Regiment) - http://www.uppercanadianheritage.com/norfolk/

      Also webmaster and whipping boy for...
      http://www.uppercanadianheritage.com/

      ======================================

      PERSONAL QUEST/HELP WEBSITE:
      http://www.helpmakemydreamcometrue.com/
      Help me realise a dream and save a piece of history.

      ======================================

      "I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows
      to be blocked. I want the culture of all the lands to be blown about my
      house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any."

      - Mahatma Gandhi

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
        Kevin,
        You must have missed my original note's comment comparing the polished
        level of the one I saw to the cruder phishing emails I had seen in the
        past. Having been in network security well before the Melissa outbreaks
        of 1999, I don't disagree when you say that "phishing" scams have been
        around several years.

        But experience in monitoring virus, spam, email scams, etc. and all
        manner of nasties that even the best-patched Windows users ran into --
        showed that 99.5 % of the time, users are receiving something that
        Internet security firms already know about. <It's because they can
        legitimately run 'honeypot' operations to attract 'flies'>

        In dealing with 1000s of networked PCs over many years, I only once
        stumbled across a undetectable piece of particularly nasty malicious
        code that was not already known to major anti-virus companies. Only one
        had seen it, and then only 2 days earlier. They said it was not
        then "in the wild", and wondered how I discovered it and what the
        delivery vector was. Naturally, I half-hoped that one of the number of
        companies I sent pre-authorized and carefully packaged samples to would
        name it after me.

        Not being smug old chap, just pointing up why I recommended that users
        delete strange messages. (Ok, Ok -- if you want to be really technical,
        also add don't open attachments and use shift-delete to really
        nuke 'em).

        Enough tech claptrap from my end. Think I'll close up shop and go do
        some reel <g> fishing.

        Dave W

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@s...>