RE: The future of 1812 reenacting

  • tlubka@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
      From: "Peter Catley"
      >Today we pay �0.92 per litre which is therefore �4.18 per UK gallon. This
      >translates to roughly $9.15 per US gallon and if I've got my sums right
      >that
      >is $10.81 CDN or $2.86 (CDN) per litre. Please remember that over 75% of
      >the cost of our fuel is paid in tax to the Government.

      Peter,
      Excellent post and I feel sorry for people in the UK and the fuel costs they
      have to pay but how many miles/km does a reenactor in the UK have to drive
      to an event? Not to brag here but you can probably fit the whole of the UK
      in southern Ontario. We go to events in southern Pennsylvania, Ohio, New
      York State as well as all over Ontario so it's easily conceivable to travel
      the length of the UK here to go to an event.
      If or when you do events on the continent of Europe do you drive or fly. I'm
      just curious how European reenactors get to events and the distances they
      travel and make no mocking attempt at one's country's size.

      Terry
      22nd US
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
        Terry,

        Distance is all relative, some of our people will complain if it more than a
        hundred miles, sometimes even less, I know units that are infamous for not
        travelling. On average I'd guess our travel to an event is less than 200
        miles each way. Having travelled a bit to your events, yes the distances are
        much, much more, but I've usually found the travelling light and easy with
        empty roads and journeys very predicable based on distance, our roads tend
        to be very busy and sometimes a nightmare even when going perhaps 200 miles.

        Also here the cost of overnight accommodation is a rip-off and eating out is
        relatively expensive, but of course there is the good beer when you finally
        get there:-)

        Certainly we don't have to travel as long when we're in the UK, however
        there is always the continent to be conquered! I do five or six trips to
        Europe each year and although the mileages are still much less than the US
        the one advantage we'd appear to have is not having your crossing fiascos,
        within Europe travel for EU citizens is pretty painless these days even with
        a musket. :-)

        I think for the main part our re-enactors tend to drive, partly because air
        travel is awkward if you need to take kit, camping things and/or muskets and
        weapons and also for flexiblity. There is a big event coming up in the Czech
        Republic in December and it is a trip of over 900 miles which by my
        reckoning makes it a two day run!I've been involved in trying to organise a
        flight for UK re-enactors wanting to go by air but I suspect that there will
        not be enough interest, for a variety of reasons, but a lot of people I've
        spoken to are planning to go by road. And here's a first, there are people
        planning to rent houses for the weekend since all the hotel accommodation
        has long since been sold out ~ Remember Czech Republic,
        December.........COLD!

        Its always greener on the other side of a pond.

        Cheers

        P**

        Subject: [WarOf1812] RE: The future of 1812 reenacting

      • Armchairadm@cs.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
          Terry & Peter

          Distance, among other things, is relative. As they say the difference
          between an Englishman & an American (or Canadian for that matter) is that an
          Englishman thinks 100 miles is long way, while an American thinks 100 years is a long
          time.

          Peter, the hassles crossing the border are highly overblown. I've crossed
          with musket and powder 5 or 6 times a year since the late 80's and only once had
          a problem going either way, and that was going into Canada.

          Ed B

        • PETER CATLEY
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
            good to hear that it isn't a real problem, but at most
            boarders in Europe (Excluding the UK :-)) we don't
            even slow down now!

            Cheers

            P**
            --- Armchairadm@... wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            Terry & Peter

            Distance, among other things, is relative. As they
            say the difference
            between an Englishman & an American (or Canadian for
            that matter) is that an
            Englishman thinks 100 miles is long way, while an
            American thinks 100 years is a long
            time.

            Peter, the hassles crossing the border are highly
            overblown. I've crossed
            with musket and powder 5 or 6 times a year since the
            late 80's and only once had
            a problem going either way, and that was going into
            Canada.

            Ed B

            The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the
            fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America,
            hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
            miles...

            ---------------------------------
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            American Forces Unit Listing
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            United
            kingdom Living
            history United
            state history
            War of 1812

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------
          • lalozon
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
              From: "Ed Bolla" <Armchairadm@...>

              "... the hassles crossing the border are highly overblown ...

              Ed,

              I agree with you, crossing the USA-Canadian border is painless.

              I spent my misspent youth in Detroit, which was only a 45 minute drive from
              my home and crossing the CanUSA border is less painful than parking one's
              car in a down town parking lot !

              Yrs.,

              L2
            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                and you still haven't stopped bitching about paying for that permit!! ;-P
                <VBG>

              • Armchairadm@cs.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 3, 2005
                  Permit, we don't no stinkin' Permit!