Re: [WarOf1812] Backus Mills Event

  • Matthew James Didier
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2005
      At 01:00 AM 31/08/05 +0000, you wrote:

      >http://www.uppercanadianheritage.com/backusmill/reenactors.htm

      If anyone's having trouble with this link OR using the form there, please
      let me know (off list).

      Your Humble and Obedient Webmaster for The Backus Event,

      Matthew

      - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
      Matthew James Didier - Generic Ne'er do well...

      Webmaster/Honourary Member of The Incorporated Militia
      of Upper Canada - http://www.imuc.org/

      Webmaster/Honourary Member of The Norfolk Militia
      (Heritage Regiment) - http://www.uppercanadianheritage.com/norfolk/

      Also webmaster and whipping boy for...
      http://www.uppercanadianheritage.com/

      ======================================

      PERSONAL QUEST/HELP WEBSITE:
      http://www.helpmakemydreamcometrue.com/
      Help me realise a dream and save a piece of history.

      ======================================

      "I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows
      to be blocked. I want the culture of all the lands to be blown about my
      house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any."

      - Mahatma Gandhi

    • capt_haha
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7, 2005
        In the way of an update for the Backus Mills event this
        coming weekend the final count for pre-regstration was 330
        individuals. I have been asked to pass along the following
        information. Aunt Erie's Kitchen will be open Friday and Sat.
        evening until at least 9:30 PM, they are also threatining to
        open 24hours ?. The General store is fully stocked with jams.
        drygoods,and other goods you may find usefull. Ice will still
        be only available at the front gate and I'm told they have
        stocked up.
        Some units have been relocated from their traditional camp-
        ing areas so please check your camp location when registering.
        The Battle scenarios are as follows Skirmish at the Mill Sat.
        morning <11:00 am> Mr. Felto is still looking for some canoe's
        so he can incorporate the pond into this scenario.The battle in
        the village will be at 2:00 pm. On Sunday morning is the return
        of the Tactical in the woods<11:00 am> . The battle in the Vil-
        lage is scheduled at 2:00pm. Camp will close for take down and
        pack up at 4:00pm Sunday.
        Again if you can bring a canoe please advise.
        See you there and Best Regards Larry Hanna
        www.capt_haha@...
      • mccombs98
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7, 2005
          Hi Larry,
          I haven't received confirmation on my registration yet, though I
          registered last week.
          Murray McCombs
          HMS Charwell

          "capt_haha" <capt_haha@y...> wrote:

          > In the way of an update for the Backus Mills event this
          > coming weekend the final count for pre-regstration was 330
          > individuals. I have been asked to pass along the following
          > information. Aunt Erie's Kitchen will be open Friday and Sat.
          > evening until at least 9:30 PM, they are also threatining to
          > open 24hours ?. The General store is fully stocked with jams.
          > drygoods,and other goods you may find usefull. Ice will still
          > be only available at the front gate and I'm told they have
          > stocked up.
          > Some units have been relocated from their traditional camp-
          > ing areas so please check your camp location when registering.
          > The Battle scenarios are as follows Skirmish at the Mill Sat.
          > morning <11:00 am> Mr. Felto is still looking for some canoe's
          > so he can incorporate the pond into this scenario.The battle in
          > the village will be at 2:00 pm. On Sunday morning is the return
          > of the Tactical in the woods<11:00 am> . The battle in the Vil-
          > lage is scheduled at 2:00pm. Camp will close for take down and
          > pack up at 4:00pm Sunday.
          > Again if you can bring a canoe please advise.
          > See you there and Best Regards Larry Hanna
          > www.capt_haha@y...
        • mccombs98
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2005
            Photographers and Reenactment Event Coordinators.

            The Cabinet Office of the Provincial Government of Ontario has
            undertaken an online photolibrary project for use by Ministries in
            Ontario publications to the public.

            One section of this library is "History", which is currently empty. I
            would imagine that the Ontario Archives may provide historical imagery
            for this database, however I sent a few sample jpgs of our recent War
            of 1812 reenactment to see if they'd be interested.

            The reply was very enthusiastic, but expressed the usual concern over
            the need of consent release forms.

            Would the forms we typically sign waiving photo usage cover this forum?
            Are we interested in taking advantage of this vehicle for our hobby/
            event sites?

            Would other period reenactment groups be interested as well? (ie F&I
            Wars, ARW, UEL Landing, 1812, ACW, Fenian Raids, WWI, WWII).

            This photo library database will only be available to OPS (Ontario
            Public Service) use. I would speculate that these could find their way
            into Ministry of Tourism advertising.

            Comments welcome both from reenactors, event site coordinators and
            individual photographers.

            Gordon Dean, would you be willing to release some of your photos with
            the appropriate credit?
            Regards
            Murray McCombs
            (a contributing member and beta tester)
          • ray hobbs
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7, 2005
              Sounds like a great project, and a good suggestions. But, who will edit
              the photographs sent?
              Non-period stuff should not be included - and we all know what that is
              :-)
              Yr H&OS
              Ray Hobbs
              41st Regt.

              On Wednesday, September 7, 2005, at 01:46 PM, mccombs98 wrote:

              > Photographers and Reenactment Event Coordinators.
              >
              > The Cabinet Office of the Provincial Government of Ontario has
              > undertaken an online photolibrary project for use by Ministries in
              > Ontario publications to the public.
              >
              > One section of this library is "History", which is currently empty. I
              > would imagine that the Ontario Archives may provide historical imagery
              > for this database, however I sent a few sample jpgs of our recent War
              > of 1812 reenactment to see if they'd be interested.
              >
              > The reply was very enthusiastic, but expressed the usual concern over
              > the need of consent release forms.
              >
              > Would the forms we typically sign waiving photo usage cover this forum?
              > Are we interested in taking advantage of this vehicle for our hobby/
              > event sites?
              >
              > Would other period reenactment groups be interested as well? (ie F&I
              > Wars, ARW, UEL Landing, 1812, ACW, Fenian Raids, WWI, WWII).
              >
              > This photo library database will only be available to OPS (Ontario
              > Public Service) use. I would speculate that these could find their way
              > into Ministry of Tourism advertising.
              >
              > Comments welcome both from reenactors, event site coordinators and
              > individual photographers.
              >
              > Gordon Dean, would you be willing to release some of your photos with
              > the appropriate credit?
              > Regards
              > Murray McCombs
              > (a contributing member and beta tester)

              > THOUSANDS of square miles...

              >    ---------------------------------
              > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              >
              > American Forces Unit Listing
              > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              <image.tiff>

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > +  Visit your group "WarOf1812" on the web.

              <image.tiff>

            • mccombs98
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7, 2005
                I would hope that the photo submitter could edit their submissions for
                historical accuracy (as good as it can be that is), and the point taken
                by Gordon about not publishing pix of our junior reenactors, is a
                position of long standing in government publications unless under
                professional model/specific context conditions.
                For the archive, digital images in the 3-6MB range of high resolution
                seem to be their target (for print publications).
                Perhaps some of the event coordinators can enlighten me on status of
                consent of usage forms we've signed?
                Gord, if you're at Backus Mills this weekend, we can talk more about
                what you've mentioned.
                Your Most Obed't Serv't
                Murray

                ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
                > Sounds like a great project, and a good suggestions. But, who will edit
                > the photographs sent?
                > Non-period stuff should not be included - and we all know what that is
                > :-)
                > Yr H&OS
                > Ray Hobbs
                > 41st Regt.
              • capt_haha
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 18, 2008
                  The Norfolk Militia and the Longpoint
                  Conservation committee had our final
                  planning meeting yesterday for the Backus
                  Mills event Sep't 6th and 7th/ 08.
                  The deadline for individual on-line
                  registration is Aug.27th/08. please use
                  the following link;
                  http://www.uppercanadianheritage.com/backusmill/
                  Both field commanders have agreed to return
                  this year, Tom Hurlbutt for the U.S. and Hal
                  Dennison for the Crown Forces.
                  Richard Feltoe will be designing and narrating
                  three battle scenarios this year.
                  The Sunday morning skirmish will return again
                  this year,that is weather permitting.
                  Saturday dinner will be both be provided
                  as well as cooked by our hosts ,the volunteers
                  from the Longpoint Conservation Authority.
                  We have decided to relocate several groups
                  from their previous camping areas. The intent
                  here is to showcase our crown forces. Please
                  contact me for your groups new location.
                  Best Regards
                  Larry Hanna
                  Capt. Norfolk Militia
                  Heritage Regiment
                • capt_haha
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2008
                    This weekends Backus Mills event promises to better
                    last years attendance with well over 325 registrations
                    received as of Sep't 30th.
                    There will be two battle scenarios on Sat.,one centered
                    around the Mill and the afternoon battle in the Village.
                    I know most of you are looking forward to the Sunday
                    morning tactical in the woods. Sunday afternoon's battle
                    will be in a new location.
                    The Long Point Region Conservation Authority will again
                    both host and cook Saturdays dinner with a little help
                    from the Norfolks. Aunt Erie's Kitchen will be open 24
                    hours the entire weekend.They have agreed to offer both
                    Sat. and Sun. breakfast buffet at a special price of
                    $5.00 per day for reenactors in period dress.
                    Be sure to tour the newly renovated Barn were dinner
                    will be served.
                    Ice will be available at the front gates.
                    Any reenacters willing to assist in sentry duty on Friday
                    and Saturday night please see me.
                    Best Regards Larry Hanna
                    <capt. Norfolk Militia>
                  • Gord Deans
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2008
                      I am happy to report that Ken Fisher has returned home and is
                      recovering comfortably from his double-bypass surgery. He will need
                      to spend the next 5 weeks healing and regaining his strength before he
                      can resume any activity.

                      Gord Deans,
                      HMS Charwell Landing Party.
                    • capt_haha
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 29, 2009
                        Hello Everyone
                        As the Aug 1st deadline for registration for the Crown
                        Forces event at Backus Mills event Sep't 12th 13th is
                        quickly approaching. Please review the following reminder.
                        You are able to register as an individual or as a group
                        at the Norfolk site.Just use the Backus link at the bottom
                        of the page.You can access the Norfolk Militia Heritage
                        Regiment site at :
                        http://www.norfolk.uppercanadianheritage.com/
                        Best Regards Larry Hanna
                        cptn Norfolk Militia