RE: [WarOf1812] The future of 1812 reenacting

  • Anderson, Mike W.
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
      Who needs gas when you have a good pair of brogans?

      Now let me see... I hear the Yanks are plannning to invade Port Rowan near Lake Erie by next weekend. If I start now and march 21 kms a day I just might make it! Sorry - got to go pack the knapsack! ;-P

      Cheers!

      Pvt Anderson - GLI
      Near Fort York, Upper Canada

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
        L2,
        Smokes and beer are less expensive in Indiana, come on down and become a Hoosier.
        Andy

        From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
        Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:00:44 -0400

> [...]
        ><BR>
        >Will it effect our hobby ... Yes!<BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        >Those who can't afford it will drop out ...<BR>
        ><BR>
        >Others will attend the events they can afford ...<BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        >Hobbies have always been expensive ...<BR>
        >... this hobby is no exception<BR>
        ><BR>
        >It was estimated a Canadian re-enactor spends over $2000 Can for his kit,<BR>
        >with a Bess/Charlevelle about $1300.00 Canadian<BR>
        >on another Yahoo List they are discussing the price of Black Powder<BR>
        ><BR>
        >People have always found money for a hobby<BR>
        >and I think humanoids will continue no matter how much gasoline costs ...<BR>
        ><BR>
        >I hear in Europe gasoline/petrol is more expensive<BR>
        >Squire Greig, Mr. Peter Catley  ....?!?<BR>
        ><BR>
        >I am reminded that us Canadians rely on the gasoline, booze, etc. taxes for<BR>
        >our health insurance<BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        >Yrs.,<BR>
        ><BR>
        >     L2<BR>
        ><BR>
        >PS: According to some I shall be in a wheelchair soon anyway, mine will run<BR>
        >on batteries and I won't need gasoline ! :^)<BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ></tt>
        >

        ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

        ><tt>
        >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...<BR>
        ><BR>
        >Unit Contact information for North America:<BR>
        >   ---------------------------------<BR>
        >Crown Forces Unit Listing:<BR>
        ><BR>
        >American Forces Unit Listing<BR>
        >
        ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->
        >

        ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

        > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
        > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
        ><ul>
        ></ul>
        > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">

      • lalozon
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
          From: "Andrew Wash" <awash@...>

          L2,
          Smokes and beer are less expensive in Indiana, come on down and become a
          Hoosier.
          Andy

          But Andy

          this ole fart don't smoke

          and I don't drink much beer

          but I do need the Health Insurance Indiana does not have!!

          I will have to settle for the weekend of Oct 7-9 during
          Mississinewa 1812, Marion, Ind. to be a Hoosier
        • tlubka@sympatico.ca
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
            From: "Peter Catley"
            >Today we pay �0.92 per litre which is therefore �4.18 per UK gallon. This
            >translates to roughly $9.15 per US gallon and if I've got my sums right
            >that
            >is $10.81 CDN or $2.86 (CDN) per litre. Please remember that over 75% of
            >the cost of our fuel is paid in tax to the Government.

            Peter,
            Excellent post and I feel sorry for people in the UK and the fuel costs they
            have to pay but how many miles/km does a reenactor in the UK have to drive
            to an event? Not to brag here but you can probably fit the whole of the UK
            in southern Ontario. We go to events in southern Pennsylvania, Ohio, New
            York State as well as all over Ontario so it's easily conceivable to travel
            the length of the UK here to go to an event.
            If or when you do events on the continent of Europe do you drive or fly. I'm
            just curious how European reenactors get to events and the distances they
            travel and make no mocking attempt at one's country's size.

            Terry
            22nd US
          • Peter Catley
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
              Terry,

              Distance is all relative, some of our people will complain if it more than a
              hundred miles, sometimes even less, I know units that are infamous for not
              travelling. On average I'd guess our travel to an event is less than 200
              miles each way. Having travelled a bit to your events, yes the distances are
              much, much more, but I've usually found the travelling light and easy with
              empty roads and journeys very predicable based on distance, our roads tend
              to be very busy and sometimes a nightmare even when going perhaps 200 miles.

              Also here the cost of overnight accommodation is a rip-off and eating out is
              relatively expensive, but of course there is the good beer when you finally
              get there:-)

              Certainly we don't have to travel as long when we're in the UK, however
              there is always the continent to be conquered! I do five or six trips to
              Europe each year and although the mileages are still much less than the US
              the one advantage we'd appear to have is not having your crossing fiascos,
              within Europe travel for EU citizens is pretty painless these days even with
              a musket. :-)

              I think for the main part our re-enactors tend to drive, partly because air
              travel is awkward if you need to take kit, camping things and/or muskets and
              weapons and also for flexiblity. There is a big event coming up in the Czech
              Republic in December and it is a trip of over 900 miles which by my
              reckoning makes it a two day run!I've been involved in trying to organise a
              flight for UK re-enactors wanting to go by air but I suspect that there will
              not be enough interest, for a variety of reasons, but a lot of people I've
              spoken to are planning to go by road. And here's a first, there are people
              planning to rent houses for the weekend since all the hotel accommodation
              has long since been sold out ~ Remember Czech Republic,
              December.........COLD!

              Its always greener on the other side of a pond.

              Cheers

              P**

              Subject: [WarOf1812] RE: The future of 1812 reenacting

            • Armchairadm@cs.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                Terry & Peter

                Distance, among other things, is relative. As they say the difference
                between an Englishman & an American (or Canadian for that matter) is that an
                Englishman thinks 100 miles is long way, while an American thinks 100 years is a long
                time.

                Peter, the hassles crossing the border are highly overblown. I've crossed
                with musket and powder 5 or 6 times a year since the late 80's and only once had
                a problem going either way, and that was going into Canada.

                Ed B

              • PETER CATLEY
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                  good to hear that it isn't a real problem, but at most
                  boarders in Europe (Excluding the UK :-)) we don't
                  even slow down now!

                  Cheers

                  P**
                  --- Armchairadm@... wrote:

                  ---------------------------------
[...]

                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                  American Forces Unit Listing
                  http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                  United
                  kingdom Living
                  history United
                  state history
                  War of 1812

                  Terms of Service.

                  ---------------------------------
                • lalozon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                    From: "Ed Bolla" <Armchairadm@...>

                    "... the hassles crossing the border are highly overblown ...

                    Ed,

                    I agree with you, crossing the USA-Canadian border is painless.

                    I spent my misspent youth in Detroit, which was only a 45 minute drive from
                    my home and crossing the CanUSA border is less painful than parking one's
                    car in a down town parking lot !

                    Yrs.,

                    L2
                  • Kevin Windsor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                      and you still haven't stopped bitching about paying for that permit!! ;-P
                      <VBG>

                    • Armchairadm@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 3, 2005
                        Permit, we don't no stinkin' Permit!