The future of 1812 reenacting

  • tlubka@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
      Here's something to think about.

      With the rising gas prices how much of an effect will that have on your
      reenacting? I can guarantee you that the greedy B******D oil companies are
      going to mik this for all it's worth and the government will not lower gas
      taxes because they are addicted to the tax revenue.

      Terry
      22nd US
    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
        From: "Terry" <tlubka@...>

        Here's something to think about.

        With the rising gas prices
        how much of an effect will that have on your reenacting?

        Terry, et al

        I remember

        - when cigarettes were twenty five cents US and still people smoke at nearly
        $10 Canadian a pack

        - Beer here is up to $40 a case and people still drink it

        - Gasoline today here is $1.249 Canadian a litre, fast calculation = $4.996
        Canadian an American Gallon
        and huge SUVs are filling up as they pay up to $1.50 for a bottle of water

        Something to think about ... Yes!

        Will it effect our hobby ... Yes!

        Those who can't afford it will drop out ...

        Others will attend the events they can afford ...

        Hobbies have always been expensive ...
        ... this hobby is no exception

        It was estimated a Canadian re-enactor spends over $2000 Can for his kit,
        with a Bess/Charlevelle about $1300.00 Canadian
        on another Yahoo List they are discussing the price of Black Powder

        People have always found money for a hobby
        and I think humanoids will continue no matter how much gasoline costs ...

        I hear in Europe gasoline/petrol is more expensive
        Squire Greig, Mr. Peter Catley ....?!?

        I am reminded that us Canadians rely on the gasoline, booze, etc. taxes for
        our health insurance

        Yrs.,

        L2

        PS: According to some I shall be in a wheelchair soon anyway, mine will run
        on batteries and I won't need gasoline ! :^)
      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
          Today we pay £0.92 per litre which is therefore £4.18 per UK gallon. This
          translates to roughly $9.15 per US gallon and if I've got my sums right that
          is $10.81 CDN or $2.86 (CDN) per litre. Please remember that over 75% of
          the cost of our fuel is paid in tax to the Government.

          There is news today that supplies from Europe are being diverted from this
          market to take advantage of the rapidly rising price in the US.

          Cheers

          P**

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
            Who needs gas when you have a good pair of brogans?

            Now let me see... I hear the Yanks are plannning to invade Port Rowan near Lake Erie by next weekend. If I start now and march 21 kms a day I just might make it! Sorry - got to go pack the knapsack! ;-P

            Cheers!

            Pvt Anderson - GLI
            Near Fort York, Upper Canada

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
              L2,
              Smokes and beer are less expensive in Indiana, come on down and become a Hoosier.
              Andy

              From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
              Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:00:44 -0400

> [...]
              ><BR>
              >Will it effect our hobby ... Yes!<BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              >Those who can't afford it will drop out ...<BR>
              ><BR>
              >Others will attend the events they can afford ...<BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              >Hobbies have always been expensive ...<BR>
              >... this hobby is no exception<BR>
              ><BR>
              >It was estimated a Canadian re-enactor spends over $2000 Can for his kit,<BR>
              >with a Bess/Charlevelle about $1300.00 Canadian<BR>
              >on another Yahoo List they are discussing the price of Black Powder<BR>
              ><BR>
              >People have always found money for a hobby<BR>
              >and I think humanoids will continue no matter how much gasoline costs ...<BR>
              ><BR>
              >I hear in Europe gasoline/petrol is more expensive<BR>
              >Squire Greig, Mr. Peter Catley  ....?!?<BR>
              ><BR>
              >I am reminded that us Canadians rely on the gasoline, booze, etc. taxes for<BR>
              >our health insurance<BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              >Yrs.,<BR>
              ><BR>
              >     L2<BR>
              ><BR>
              >PS: According to some I shall be in a wheelchair soon anyway, mine will run<BR>
              >on batteries and I won't need gasoline ! :^)<BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ></tt>
              >

              ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

              ><tt>
              >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...<BR>
              ><BR>
              >Unit Contact information for North America:<BR>
              >   ---------------------------------<BR>
              >Crown Forces Unit Listing:<BR>
              ><BR>
              >American Forces Unit Listing<BR>
              >
              ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->
              >

              ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

              > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
              > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
              ><ul>
              ></ul>
              > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">

            • lalozon
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                From: "Andrew Wash" <awash@...>

                L2,
                Smokes and beer are less expensive in Indiana, come on down and become a
                Hoosier.
                Andy

                But Andy

                this ole fart don't smoke

                and I don't drink much beer

                but I do need the Health Insurance Indiana does not have!!

                I will have to settle for the weekend of Oct 7-9 during
                Mississinewa 1812, Marion, Ind. to be a Hoosier
              • tlubka@sympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                  From: "Peter Catley"
                  >Today we pay �0.92 per litre which is therefore �4.18 per UK gallon. This
                  >translates to roughly $9.15 per US gallon and if I've got my sums right
                  >that
                  >is $10.81 CDN or $2.86 (CDN) per litre. Please remember that over 75% of
                  >the cost of our fuel is paid in tax to the Government.

                  Peter,
                  Excellent post and I feel sorry for people in the UK and the fuel costs they
                  have to pay but how many miles/km does a reenactor in the UK have to drive
                  to an event? Not to brag here but you can probably fit the whole of the UK
                  in southern Ontario. We go to events in southern Pennsylvania, Ohio, New
                  York State as well as all over Ontario so it's easily conceivable to travel
                  the length of the UK here to go to an event.
                  If or when you do events on the continent of Europe do you drive or fly. I'm
                  just curious how European reenactors get to events and the distances they
                  travel and make no mocking attempt at one's country's size.

                  Terry
                  22nd US
                • Peter Catley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                    Terry,

                    Distance is all relative, some of our people will complain if it more than a
                    hundred miles, sometimes even less, I know units that are infamous for not
                    travelling. On average I'd guess our travel to an event is less than 200
                    miles each way. Having travelled a bit to your events, yes the distances are
                    much, much more, but I've usually found the travelling light and easy with
                    empty roads and journeys very predicable based on distance, our roads tend
                    to be very busy and sometimes a nightmare even when going perhaps 200 miles.

                    Also here the cost of overnight accommodation is a rip-off and eating out is
                    relatively expensive, but of course there is the good beer when you finally
                    get there:-)

                    Certainly we don't have to travel as long when we're in the UK, however
                    there is always the continent to be conquered! I do five or six trips to
                    Europe each year and although the mileages are still much less than the US
                    the one advantage we'd appear to have is not having your crossing fiascos,
                    within Europe travel for EU citizens is pretty painless these days even with
                    a musket. :-)

                    I think for the main part our re-enactors tend to drive, partly because air
                    travel is awkward if you need to take kit, camping things and/or muskets and
                    weapons and also for flexiblity. There is a big event coming up in the Czech
                    Republic in December and it is a trip of over 900 miles which by my
                    reckoning makes it a two day run!I've been involved in trying to organise a
                    flight for UK re-enactors wanting to go by air but I suspect that there will
                    not be enough interest, for a variety of reasons, but a lot of people I've
                    spoken to are planning to go by road. And here's a first, there are people
                    planning to rent houses for the weekend since all the hotel accommodation
                    has long since been sold out ~ Remember Czech Republic,
                    December.........COLD!

                    Its always greener on the other side of a pond.

                    Cheers

                    P**

                    Subject: [WarOf1812] RE: The future of 1812 reenacting

                  • Armchairadm@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Terry & Peter

                      Distance, among other things, is relative. As they say the difference
                      between an Englishman & an American (or Canadian for that matter) is that an
                      Englishman thinks 100 miles is long way, while an American thinks 100 years is a long
                      time.

                      Peter, the hassles crossing the border are highly overblown. I've crossed
                      with musket and powder 5 or 6 times a year since the late 80's and only once had
                      a problem going either way, and that was going into Canada.

                      Ed B

                    • PETER CATLEY
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                        good to hear that it isn't a real problem, but at most
                        boarders in Europe (Excluding the UK :-)) we don't
                        even slow down now!

                        Cheers

                        P**
                        --- Armchairadm@... wrote:

                        ---------------------------------
[...]

                        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                        American Forces Unit Listing
                        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                        United
                        kingdom Living
                        history United
                        state history
                        War of 1812

                        Terms of Service.

                        ---------------------------------
                      • lalozon
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                          From: "Ed Bolla" <Armchairadm@...>

                          "... the hassles crossing the border are highly overblown ...

                          Ed,

                          I agree with you, crossing the USA-Canadian border is painless.

                          I spent my misspent youth in Detroit, which was only a 45 minute drive from
                          my home and crossing the CanUSA border is less painful than parking one's
                          car in a down town parking lot !

                          Yrs.,

                          L2
                        • Kevin Windsor
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                            and you still haven't stopped bitching about paying for that permit!! ;-P
                            <VBG>

                          • Armchairadm@cs.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 3, 2005
                              Permit, we don't no stinkin' Permit!