Shako Question

  • DAVID BRUNELLE
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
      Dear List,

      I had a e-mail questions from someone asking me the following:

      I was just wondering, what are the dimensions of a standard stove pipe
      shako?

      If anyone has this information readily available that would be great!!

      Thanks!!

      Dave Brunelle
    • ray hobbs
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Dave:
        The 1802 Infantry Clothing Regulations describe the cap ("Stovepipe
        shako") as "Conformable to a Pattern left at the Controllers Office of
        Army Accounts". Not very helpful, but when one looks at the archives,
        one now knows what to look for.
        The only other dimension given in the 1802 regs. is that it is "to be
        made of sufficient Size as to come completely on the head". It is also
        to be worn "Straight and Even and brought forward well over the Eyes".

        As for height - I have seen a variety of heights in the hobby.

        1/2 cent worth
        Ray
        41st,

        On Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 10:36 PM, DAVID BRUNELLE wrote:

        > Dear List,
        >
        >     I had a e-mail questions from someone asking me the following:
        >
        > I was just wondering, what are the dimensions of a standard stove pipe
        > shako?
        >
        > If anyone has this information readily available that would be great!!
        >
        > Thanks!!
        >
        > Dave Brunelle

        > THOUSANDS of square miles...

        >    ---------------------------------
        > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        >
        > American Forces Unit Listing
        > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        <image.tiff>

        <image.tiff>

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > +  Visit your group "WarOf1812" on the web.

        <image.tiff>

      • DAVID BRUNELLE
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          Thanks Ray!

          Dave

          The 1802 Infantry Clothing Regulations describe the cap ("Stovepipe
          shako") as "Conformable to a Pattern left at the Controllers Office of
          Army Accounts". Not very helpful, but when one looks at the archives,
          one now knows what to look for.
          The only other dimension given in the 1802 regs. is that it is "to be
          made of sufficient Size as to come completely on the head". It is also
          to be worn "Straight and Even and brought forward well over the Eyes".

          As for height - I have seen a variety of heights in the hobby.

          1/2 cent worth
          Ray
          41st,

          On Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 10:36 PM, DAVID BRUNELLE wrote:

          > Dear List,
          >
          > I had a e-mail questions from someone asking me the following:
          >
          > I was just wondering, what are the dimensions of a standard stove pipe
          > shako?
          >
          > If anyone has this information readily available that would be great!!
          >
          > Thanks!!
          >
          > Dave Brunelle

          > THOUSANDS of square miles...

          > ---------------------------------
          > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          >
          > American Forces Unit Listing
          > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          <image.tiff>

          <image.tiff>

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > + Visit your group "WarOf1812" on the web.
          >
          > + To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          >
          > + Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          <image.tiff>

          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

          American Forces Unit Listing