Education

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      This part of the Gr 7 curriculum is called "British North America" and it
      deals with:

      a.. the reasons for the early settlement of English Canada (e.g., the
      American Revolution);
      a.. the different groups of people (e.g., Black Loyalists, slaves,
      indentured servants, Aboriginal Loyalists, Maritime Loyalists) who took part
      in the Loyalists' migration and identify their areas of settlement;
      a.. Canada's involvement in the "underground railway";
      a.. life in English Canada (e.g., early pioneer experiences, family life,
      economic and social life, growth and development of early institutions,
      transportation, and emergence of towns);
      a.. the major causes and personalities of the War of 1812;
      a.. the impact of the War of 1812 on the development of Canada (e.g., the
      building of fortifications, the Rideau Canal, and Kingston Road; movement of
      the capital to Bytown [Ottawa]);
      a.. the achievements and contributions of Sir John Graves Simcoe.

      I too go into schools and do this and the teachers are greatful. The
      teachers get a whole lesson done in one day with minimal planning.

      However, (here is the professional coming out) if there is a Museum around
      that is doing it, stay off their turf! You would be taking programme
      revenue away from them and that is bad bad bad!!! Secondly please don't do
      it if you don't know what you are talking about!! I can't tell you the
      number of times a teacher has told me they have heard a re-enactor tell them
      that neck stocks stop bayonets, and red coats hide the blood!

      Some food for thought.
      Kevin
      89th
      (and a Museum guy too!)