[WarOf1812] MORE: Too many events? A Great Opportunity To Educate!

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2005
      Bill;

      Thanks for the reminder. Remembering and understanding the past is why many of us are involved in living history. That is why I spent so many years snapping pictures from every conceivable angle. Although not "period", I was driven by the need to "see" the past and share it with others. Now, I need to figure out how best to share these pictures with everyone including the public.

      We have a great opportunity to share what we know and learn and I am surprised that more schools do not take advantage of our resources. "Education Days" are a great way to lead off a weekend and I hope to participate in more of them.

      The main value of studying history is to prepare our youth for the future. Living history brings it to life and gives it meaning. The hands-on experience and participation might even overcome the addiction to video games.

      Perhaps our colleagues from the teaching profession can suggest how best to get involved with the "local" school systems and other youth groups to provide "educational sessions".

      I would be glad to volunteer for scheduled "show and tell" sessions at re-enactments (before the battles) if we had some shade / rain protection and tables for displays.

      I would be happy to take my turn manning a "common" table at re-enactments with handouts from each unit, handouts from each site, handouts for coming events, schedules of events, reference materials, resource lists, etc. Yes, it takes some money and some effort, but it will go a long way to increase public attendance and keep living history alive.

      Our History Conferences are a great way to start the season, renew friendships and share knowledge. I am grateful for all of the effort that goes into making such an enjoyable day for all. If, and this is a very big if, in the future we could find significant sponsors to support a large venue, we could draw and handle a large public. I understand that we do this for the fun and learning experiences, not to create more work, but with enough coordination and volunteers anything is possible.

      More ravings from the "Old Sailor".