men of mixed blood

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 1999
      "What about men of mixed blood as in native/white? Was there a
      place there for them other than being scouts or part of the militia?"

      Men of full or mixed Native blood were not militia
      but a definite part of the British Army in the Americas.
      They were in a section of the Army known as the
      "Corps de Savages".

      This Battalion of the British Army was under the
      command of the Indian Department and was
      manned by, Indians, Mixed-Bloods, Free trappers,
      Men of Color, Citizens of the area. It was free
      from command of the Militia Headquarter.

      The Shawnee Chief Tecumseh was a War Chief
      in this Dept. of the Army in the Western District
      at the Detroit Theatre of the War.

      Larry Lozon