Re: enlistment

  • MAXINE TROTTIER
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 1999
      Another question: I know that there were black seamen on the American
      ships. What about men of mixed blood as in native/white? Was there a
      place there for them other than being scouts or part of the militia?

      Max
      Maxine Trottier
      maxitrot@...
      http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 1999
        When in port Officers could apply for shore leave and were normally granted
        it. Sailors on the other hand were often not granted it. Nagle,(the Nagel
        Journal) a sailor in the Royal Navy, went for many years without leave. I
        cannot remember the exact lapse but I believe it was in the double digits.
        This may be because of the risk of flight as he was pressed from an american
        ship but he said that his was not an extraordinary case.

        I'll post the title and ISBN # later. Craig
        >To anyone's knowledge, were military, particularly sailors, especially
        >midshipmen ever give leave, say for a few days?
        >
        >Max
        >Maxine Trottier
        >maxitrot@...
        >http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
        >
        >>The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
        square miles...
      • Scott Jeznach
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999

          During the greater part of the twenty years of war, experienced seamen were
          in high demand for the Royal Navy. Service on war ships was not the most
          desirable for experienced seamen. Service on the East India ships was much
          less strict and provided more money.

          Therefore, once a seaman was on a Royal Navy vessel, he was rarely allowed
          off again. Even when within shouting distance of a British Port. The ships
          stayed away from the docks and supplies, prostitutes, wives were brought out
          to the ships.

          There was often a race between press gangs and East India seamen when they
          returned to a British port. The seamen would try to disappear into the
          towns and the press gangs would try to grab them and press them into war
          service.

          Scott J.
          Royal Marines

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
            Warships. If I had connections, and I mean at the most serious level,
            might I have been able to have passage on a British ship of war from
            England to Canada? In spite of the fact that I am female. Or maybe
            because.......

            Max
            Maxine Trottier
            maxitrot@...
            http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
          • Len Heidebrecht
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
              Maxine. If you are serious and truly serious, contact Vic Suthren. Thats Vic the Author/Sailor/Re-enactor/ Generally Good Guy who is also an Honourary Capt in the Royal Canadian Navy. I can't find his e-address but he would be good person to start your inquiry with.
              Len
              --

              On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 17:58:07 MAXINE TROTTIER wrote:
              >From: "MAXINE TROTTIER" <maxitrot@...>
              >
              >Warships. If I had connections, and I mean at the most serious level,
              >might I have been able to have passage on a British ship of war from
              >England to Canada? In spite of the fact that I am female. Or maybe
              >because.......
              >
              >Max
              >Maxine Trottier
              >maxitrot@...
              >http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

              HotBot - Search smarter.
              http://www.hotbot.com
            • MAXINE TROTTIER
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
                Oh, I'm serious.

                Sponsor ----------------------------

                > Get EXPERT CONTENT at ONElist!
                > Join PROS&PUNDITS. For details go to:

                ----
                fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

              • Craig Williams
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
                  Maxine further to my missive yesterday , the book that I highly recomend is
                  "the Nagle Journal,A diary of the life of Jacob Nagel, sailor, from the
                  year1775 to 1841. " edited by John C. Dann, ISBN 1-555-84223-2

                  You might also want to look up "The Wooden World".
                  Cheero, Craig

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 1999
                    My thanks for all and any suggested reading, particularly that
                    nautical.

                    Max
                    Maxine Trottier
                    maxitrot@...
                    http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
                    > Maxine further to my missive yesterday , the book that I highly
                    recomend is
                    > "the Nagle Journal,A diary of the life of Jacob Nagel, sailor, from
                    the
                    > year1775 to 1841. " edited by John C. Dann, ISBN 1-555-84223-2
                    >
                    > You might also want to look up "The Wooden World".
                    > Cheero, Craig

                  • james barnwell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 1999
                      You MUST read...Peter Simple,Mr Midshipman Easy and Oh
                      I forgot the other book! LOL! They are by
                      Marryat.Great reading!
                      Jim Barnwell

                      <HR>

                      =====
                    • MAXINE TROTTIER
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 1999
                        The Nagle Journal is out of print, but I managed to track down a copy.