Re: enlistment

  • Robert Van Patten
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 1999
      Personally I don't believe that the concept of regular leave ever occurred
      to the Admiralty. Everytime a ship returned from a cruise, even if
      undamaged, when it returned to its home port I expect that some if not all
      of the officers and midshipmen would have been able to get away for a time.
      That time would have been dependent upon what had to be done to the ship
      while it was in port in the way of repairs and refits and reprovisioning.
      This is all speculation on my part, of course.

      ----------
      > From: MAXINE TROTTIER <maxitrot@...>
      > To: 1812 <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] enlistment
      > Date: Saturday, October 02, 1999 2:40 PM
      >
      > From: "MAXINE TROTTIER" <maxitrot@...>
      >
      > To anyone's knowledge, were military, particularly sailors, especially
      > midshipmen ever give leave, say for a few days?
      >
      > Max
      > Maxine Trottier
      > maxitrot@...
      > http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
      >
      > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
      square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
      of square miles...
    • MAXINE TROTTIER
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 1999
        Another question: I know that there were black seamen on the American
        ships. What about men of mixed blood as in native/white? Was there a
        place there for them other than being scouts or part of the militia?

        Sponsor ----------------------------

        > Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at ONElist.
        > For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click below.

        ----
        fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 1999
          When in port Officers could apply for shore leave and were normally granted
          it. Sailors on the other hand were often not granted it. Nagle,(the Nagel
          Journal) a sailor in the Royal Navy, went for many years without leave. I
          cannot remember the exact lapse but I believe it was in the double digits.
          This may be because of the risk of flight as he was pressed from an american
          ship but he said that his was not an extraordinary case.

          I'll post the title and ISBN # later. Craig
          >To anyone's knowledge, were military, particularly sailors, especially
          >midshipmen ever give leave, say for a few days?
          >
          >Max
          >Maxine Trottier
          >maxitrot@...
          >http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
          >
          >>The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
          square miles...
        • Scott Jeznach
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999

            During the greater part of the twenty years of war, experienced seamen were
            in high demand for the Royal Navy. Service on war ships was not the most
            desirable for experienced seamen. Service on the East India ships was much
            less strict and provided more money.

            Therefore, once a seaman was on a Royal Navy vessel, he was rarely allowed
            off again. Even when within shouting distance of a British Port. The ships
            stayed away from the docks and supplies, prostitutes, wives were brought out
            to the ships.

            There was often a race between press gangs and East India seamen when they
            returned to a British port. The seamen would try to disappear into the
            towns and the press gangs would try to grab them and press them into war
            service.

            Scott J.
            Royal Marines

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
              Warships. If I had connections, and I mean at the most serious level,
              might I have been able to have passage on a British ship of war from
              England to Canada? In spite of the fact that I am female. Or maybe
              because.......

              Max
              Maxine Trottier
              maxitrot@...
              http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
            • Len Heidebrecht
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
                Maxine. If you are serious and truly serious, contact Vic Suthren. Thats Vic the Author/Sailor/Re-enactor/ Generally Good Guy who is also an Honourary Capt in the Royal Canadian Navy. I can't find his e-address but he would be good person to start your inquiry with.
                Len
                --

                On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 17:58:07 MAXINE TROTTIER wrote:
                >From: "MAXINE TROTTIER" <maxitrot@...>
                >
                >Warships. If I had connections, and I mean at the most serious level,
                >might I have been able to have passage on a British ship of war from
                >England to Canada? In spite of the fact that I am female. Or maybe
                >because.......
                >
                >Max
                >Maxine Trottier
                >maxitrot@...
                >http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

                HotBot - Search smarter.
                http://www.hotbot.com
              • MAXINE TROTTIER
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
                  Oh, I'm serious.

                  Sponsor ----------------------------

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
                    Maxine further to my missive yesterday , the book that I highly recomend is
                    "the Nagle Journal,A diary of the life of Jacob Nagel, sailor, from the
                    year1775 to 1841. " edited by John C. Dann, ISBN 1-555-84223-2

                    You might also want to look up "The Wooden World".
                    Cheero, Craig

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 1999
                      My thanks for all and any suggested reading, particularly that
                      nautical.

                      Max
                      Maxine Trottier
                      maxitrot@...
                      http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
                      > Maxine further to my missive yesterday , the book that I highly
                      recomend is
                      > "the Nagle Journal,A diary of the life of Jacob Nagel, sailor, from
                      the
                      > year1775 to 1841. " edited by John C. Dann, ISBN 1-555-84223-2
                      >
                      > You might also want to look up "The Wooden World".
                      > Cheero, Craig

                    • james barnwell
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 1999
                        You MUST read...Peter Simple,Mr Midshipman Easy and Oh
                        I forgot the other book! LOL! They are by
                        Marryat.Great reading!
                        Jim Barnwell

                        <HR>

                        =====
                      • MAXINE TROTTIER
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 8, 1999
                          The Nagle Journal is out of print, but I managed to track down a copy.