enlistment

  • MAXINE TROTTIER
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 1999
      To anyone's knowledge, were military, particularly sailors, especially
      midshipmen ever give leave, say for a few days?

      Max
      Maxine Trottier
      maxitrot@...
      http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
    • Robert Van Patten
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 1999
        Personally I don't believe that the concept of regular leave ever occurred
        to the Admiralty. Everytime a ship returned from a cruise, even if
        undamaged, when it returned to its home port I expect that some if not all
        of the officers and midshipmen would have been able to get away for a time.
        That time would have been dependent upon what had to be done to the ship
        while it was in port in the way of repairs and refits and reprovisioning.
        This is all speculation on my part, of course.

        ----------
        > From: MAXINE TROTTIER <maxitrot@...>
        > To: 1812 <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
        > Subject: [WarOf1812] enlistment
        > Date: Saturday, October 02, 1999 2:40 PM
        >
        > From: "MAXINE TROTTIER" <maxitrot@...>
        >
        > To anyone's knowledge, were military, particularly sailors, especially
        > midshipmen ever give leave, say for a few days?
        >
        > Max
        > Maxine Trottier
        > maxitrot@...
        > http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
        >
        > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
        square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
        of square miles...
      • MAXINE TROTTIER
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 1999
          Another question: I know that there were black seamen on the American
          ships. What about men of mixed blood as in native/white? Was there a
          place there for them other than being scouts or part of the militia?

          Sponsor ----------------------------

          > Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at ONElist.
          > For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click below.

          ----
          fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 1999
            When in port Officers could apply for shore leave and were normally granted
            it. Sailors on the other hand were often not granted it. Nagle,(the Nagel
            Journal) a sailor in the Royal Navy, went for many years without leave. I
            cannot remember the exact lapse but I believe it was in the double digits.
            This may be because of the risk of flight as he was pressed from an american
            ship but he said that his was not an extraordinary case.

            I'll post the title and ISBN # later. Craig
            >To anyone's knowledge, were military, particularly sailors, especially
            >midshipmen ever give leave, say for a few days?
            >
            >Max
            >Maxine Trottier
            >maxitrot@...
            >http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
            >
            >>The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
            square miles...
          • Scott Jeznach
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999

              During the greater part of the twenty years of war, experienced seamen were
              in high demand for the Royal Navy. Service on war ships was not the most
              desirable for experienced seamen. Service on the East India ships was much
              less strict and provided more money.

              Therefore, once a seaman was on a Royal Navy vessel, he was rarely allowed
              off again. Even when within shouting distance of a British Port. The ships
              stayed away from the docks and supplies, prostitutes, wives were brought out
              to the ships.

              There was often a race between press gangs and East India seamen when they
              returned to a British port. The seamen would try to disappear into the
              towns and the press gangs would try to grab them and press them into war
              service.

              Scott J.
              Royal Marines

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
                Warships. If I had connections, and I mean at the most serious level,
                might I have been able to have passage on a British ship of war from
                England to Canada? In spite of the fact that I am female. Or maybe
                because.......

                Max
                Maxine Trottier
                maxitrot@...
                http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
              • Len Heidebrecht
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
                  Maxine. If you are serious and truly serious, contact Vic Suthren. Thats Vic the Author/Sailor/Re-enactor/ Generally Good Guy who is also an Honourary Capt in the Royal Canadian Navy. I can't find his e-address but he would be good person to start your inquiry with.
                  Len
                  --

                  On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 17:58:07 MAXINE TROTTIER wrote:
                  >From: "MAXINE TROTTIER" <maxitrot@...>
                  >
                  >Warships. If I had connections, and I mean at the most serious level,
                  >might I have been able to have passage on a British ship of war from
                  >England to Canada? In spite of the fact that I am female. Or maybe
                  >because.......
                  >
                  >Max
                  >Maxine Trottier
                  >maxitrot@...
                  >http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

                  HotBot - Search smarter.
                  http://www.hotbot.com
                • MAXINE TROTTIER
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
                    Oh, I'm serious.

                    Sponsor ----------------------------

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 4, 1999
                      Maxine further to my missive yesterday , the book that I highly recomend is
                      "the Nagle Journal,A diary of the life of Jacob Nagel, sailor, from the
                      year1775 to 1841. " edited by John C. Dann, ISBN 1-555-84223-2

                      You might also want to look up "The Wooden World".
                      Cheero, Craig

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 1999
                        My thanks for all and any suggested reading, particularly that
                        nautical.

                        Max
                        Maxine Trottier
                        maxitrot@...
                        http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
                        > Maxine further to my missive yesterday , the book that I highly
                        recomend is
                        > "the Nagle Journal,A diary of the life of Jacob Nagel, sailor, from
                        the
                        > year1775 to 1841. " edited by John C. Dann, ISBN 1-555-84223-2
                        >
                        > You might also want to look up "The Wooden World".
                        > Cheero, Craig

                      • james barnwell
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 1999
                          You MUST read...Peter Simple,Mr Midshipman Easy and Oh
                          I forgot the other book! LOL! They are by
                          Marryat.Great reading!
                          Jim Barnwell

                          <HR>

                          =====
                        • MAXINE TROTTIER
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 8, 1999
                            The Nagle Journal is out of print, but I managed to track down a copy.