2006 Grand Tactical

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
      From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

      Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?

      Typical Canuck!!

      Have you not heard of the Mississippi River in American Mid-West

      Hmm..!?

      L2
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
        Thanks for the information Larry please keep us posted as things develop. As
        for gardening I'm afraid thats a duty too far for this Pensioner, but I did
        see the programme on the BBC and the pub they'd set up looked really good
        although perhaps a bit Chocate Box for London these days!

        Take care now.

        P**

        From: "PETER CATLEY" <peter.catley@...>

        Whilst appreciating that our concerns in the matter of dates and locations
        for the GT are very minor it would help those planning overseas trips to
        have as much advance notice as you can in practical terms give us.

        I have aspirations for a trip to the 2007 GT for a party from UK, so far I
        expect it to be in Canada,

        My Dear Mr Catley, et al

        First and foremost a visit from our brother UK re-enactors is always
        welcomed. It was very nice to have you, the Squire and the other UK'ians
        visit the Colonies.

        Second, the US and Crown Commanders have agreed in principle that all
        sites in the Great Lakes Basin within a few hours drive from Toronto will be
        considered "Canadian Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Sites". For example Fort
        Niagara which is a short drive from the Toronto area.

        Therefore the next Canadian 1812 Grand Tactical may not actually be on
        sovereign Canadian soil.
        (As Molson/Coors is not really Canadian Beer (Squire, we like it cold! :-)

        PS: Mr Catley
        I see in the local newspaper that the Chelsea Pensioners had the
        crowning touch in the Chelsea Garden Show held on the grounds of the Royal
        Hospital Chelsea in London. Many of the veterans living in the hospital have
        award winning private gardens.

        Yrs,.
        L2

        square miles...

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "WarOf1812
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • K. J. Lindsey
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
          Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered
          midwestern states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau
          According to their glossary the Midwest region consists of North
          Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota,
          Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

          Just for the historical tidbit, (and not to make a mountain out of a
          molehill as I know this is originally about the G.T.) heres a little
          blurb from Wikipedia I found interesting that explains the regional
          evolution:

          "The term "Midwest" originated in the 19th century, along
          with "Middle West" and "Heartland", and referred to generally the
          same areas and states in the middle of the country. The heart of the
          Midwest is bounded by the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Mississippi
          River Valleys, the "Old Northwest" (or the "West"), referring to the
          states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin, which
          comprised the original Northwest Territory. This area is now called
          the East North Central States by the United States Census Bureau. The
          Northwest Territory was created out of the ceded English (formerly
          French and Native American) frontier lands by the Continental
          Congress just before the U.S. Constitution was ratified under the
          Northwest Ordinance. The Northwest Ordinance prohibited slavery and
          religious discrimination, and promoted public schools and private
          property. As Revolutionary War soldiers from the original colonies
          were awarded lands in Ohio and migrated there and to other Midwestern
          states with other pioneers, including many immigrants from central
          and northern Europe, the area became the first thoroughly "American"
          region. The Midwest region today refers not only to states created
          from the Northwest Ordinance, but also may include states between the
          Appalachian Mountains to the Rocky Mountains and north of the Ohio
          River.

          The term West was applied to the region in the early years of the
          country. During this time, the vast majority of the population lived
          east of the Appalachian Mountains, but the country's borders
          stretched west all the way to the Rocky Mountains. Later, the vast
          region west of the Appalachians was divided into the Far West (now
          just the West), and the Middle West. Some parts of the Midwest have
          also been referred to as North West for historical reasons (for
          instance, this explains the Minnesota-based Northwest Airlines and
          the former Norwest Bank), so the current Northwest region of the
          country is called the Pacific Northwest to make a clear distinction."

          Kevin Lindsey
          2nd Michigan Territorial Militia

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, johnogden@d... wrote:
          > All-
          > Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't a large body of water
          something
          > of a pre-requisite for tall ships? Having lived all over the lower
          > 48 in the US, I don't reallt recall seeing much in that line out in
          > the Great Plains. If, contrarily you feel that Ohio, Michigan and
          > Illinois are mid-western, then I suppose something could be done,
          but
          > that's pretty far north for the southerners as well (and is again in
          > the Great Lakes region).
          >
          > John J. Ogden
          > 17th US Inf. (probationary)
        • PETER CATLEY
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
            No wonder you guys never know where you are :-)

            As for finding europe, well there's little hope!

            Cheers

            P**

            ---------------------------------

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
              From: "Kevin Lindsey" <union47th@...>

              Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered midwestern
              states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau According to their glossary the
              Midwest region consists of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas,
              Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

              Thank you Mr. Lindsey,

              I guess to set the record straight and in order to be fair to the many
              re-enactors who travel long distances from the Eastern, Southern and Western
              United States, the 2006 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Committee is looking for
              a site somewhere in the USA ... that is not in the Great Lakes Basin, as the
              two past 1812 Grand Tacticals have been located .
              ---

              As reported before:

              "... Steve Abolt, is investigating sites in the southern USA, Ed
              Seufert, is investigating sites in the eastern USA, Michael Mathews, is
              investigating sites in the western USA ... and their committee is hard at
              work choosing a site in the USA for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical. [ Since
              this post Mr. John Fenner has come forward with suggestions of sites and
              another suggestion is that a future 1812 Grand Tactical be more accessible
              for the many re-enactors from California. ]

              The site and date will be announced as soon as confirmation is made with
              the site officials. As the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is planned, work is also
              being carried out on the organisation of the 2007 and 2008 1812 Grand
              Tacticals.

              If you know of a site in Canada or the USA that can support
              approximately 1000 re-enactors, tall ships, enough room to deploy cavalry,
              has an 1812 connection, has the funds to present an 1812 Grand Tactical and
              is willing to do so, please have that site contact this writer... "

              The 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is of prime importance as an announcement
              of dates and location is necessary for re-enactors to plan for this event
              next year.

              Yrs,.
              L2