Re: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical

  • johnogden@darksleep.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
      All-
      Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't a large body of water something
      of a pre-requisite for tall ships? Having lived all over the lower
      48 in the US, I don't reallt recall seeing much in that line out in
      the Great Plains. If, contrarily you feel that Ohio, Michigan and
      Illinois are mid-western, then I suppose something could be done, but
      that's pretty far north for the southerners as well (and is again in
      the Great Lakes region).

      John J. Ogden
      17th US Inf. (probationary)

      > Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?
      > From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
      > Date: 2005/08/03 Wed AM 10:28:03 EST
      > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical
    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
        From: "Rich Parkinson" <rich.parkinson@...>

        To date we have experienced two 1812 Grand Tacticals. Both events were
        held on dates in which the site has traditionally held their own 1812 event
        in the past.

        Rich et al

        The Date of the 2006, 2007, 2008, etc., Annual 1812 Grand Tacticals are not
        set. Therefore they can possibly be any date and not necessarily the date
        that the site has it's normal re-enactment weekend.

        Note that Fort Niagara has changed it's 1812 date to accommodate the Crown
        Forces for their event at Fort Niagara.
        Aug 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y. (changed from
        September)

        Thus the Annual 1812 Grand Tactical date will most likely move.

        In conversations with Mr. Pickles, he has informed us Canadians that New
        Orleans in the summer would not make for a good 1812 Grand Tactical (too
        bloody hot!) Therefore consideration for location is also being made.

        In conversations with Mr. Webb, he has come to the conclusion that the 2005
        Saturday evening battlefield was too small, and if another 1812 Grand
        Tactical is held at his site that a larger field will be used ... and that
        is not counting the attendance of more artillery or cavalry.

        In conclusion the date and site will most likely constantly move. One year
        in Canada the next in the USA.

        If anyone knows of a site in the USA (that is not in the Great Lakes Basin
        for 2006 ) that can support approximately 1000 re-enactors, tall ships,
        enough room to deploy cavalry, has an 1812 connection, has the funds to
        present an 1812 Grand Tactical and is willing to do so ... please have that
        site contact me.

        Yrs.
        L2
      • JGIL1812@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
          In a message dated 8/3/2005 7:42:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          petemonahan@... writes:

          > Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?

          Pete,

          They are called "Prairie Schooners". Should be quite the show!

          JG/RE

        • lalozon
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
            From: "PETER CATLEY" <peter.catley@...>

            Whilst appreciating that our concerns in the matter of dates and locations
            for the GT are very minor it would help those planning overseas trips to
            have as much advance notice as you can in practical terms give us.

            I have aspirations for a trip to the 2007 GT for a party from UK, so far I
            expect it to be in Canada,

            My Dear Mr Catley, et al

            First and foremost a visit from our brother UK re-enactors is always
            welcomed. It was very nice to have you, the Squire and the other UK'ians
            visit the Colonies.

            Second, the US and Crown Commanders have agreed in principle that all
            sites in the Great Lakes Basin within a few hours drive from Toronto will be
            considered "Canadian Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Sites". For example Fort
            Niagara which is a short drive from the Toronto area.

            Therefore the next Canadian 1812 Grand Tactical may not actually be on
            sovereign Canadian soil.
            (As Molson/Coors is not really Canadian Beer (Squire, we like it cold! :-)

            PS: Mr Catley
            I see in the local newspaper that the Chelsea Pensioners had the
            crowning touch in the Chelsea Garden Show held on the grounds of the Royal
            Hospital Chelsea in London. Many of the veterans living in the hospital have
            award winning private gardens.

            Yrs,.
            L2
          • lalozon
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
              From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

              Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?

              Typical Canuck!!

              Have you not heard of the Mississippi River in American Mid-West

              Hmm..!?

              L2
            • Peter Catley
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                Thanks for the information Larry please keep us posted as things develop. As
                for gardening I'm afraid thats a duty too far for this Pensioner, but I did
                see the programme on the BBC and the pub they'd set up looked really good
                although perhaps a bit Chocate Box for London these days!

                Take care now.

                P**

[...]

                square miles...

                ---------------------------------
                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                American Forces Unit Listing
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "WarOf1812
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812> " on the web.

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                _____

              • K. J. Lindsey
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                  Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered
                  midwestern states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau
                  According to their glossary the Midwest region consists of North
                  Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota,
                  Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

                  Just for the historical tidbit, (and not to make a mountain out of a
                  molehill as I know this is originally about the G.T.) heres a little
                  blurb from Wikipedia I found interesting that explains the regional
                  evolution:

                  "The term "Midwest" originated in the 19th century, along
                  with "Middle West" and "Heartland", and referred to generally the
                  same areas and states in the middle of the country. The heart of the
                  Midwest is bounded by the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Mississippi
                  River Valleys, the "Old Northwest" (or the "West"), referring to the
                  states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin, which
                  comprised the original Northwest Territory. This area is now called
                  the East North Central States by the United States Census Bureau. The
                  Northwest Territory was created out of the ceded English (formerly
                  French and Native American) frontier lands by the Continental
                  Congress just before the U.S. Constitution was ratified under the
                  Northwest Ordinance. The Northwest Ordinance prohibited slavery and
                  religious discrimination, and promoted public schools and private
                  property. As Revolutionary War soldiers from the original colonies
                  were awarded lands in Ohio and migrated there and to other Midwestern
                  states with other pioneers, including many immigrants from central
                  and northern Europe, the area became the first thoroughly "American"
                  region. The Midwest region today refers not only to states created
                  from the Northwest Ordinance, but also may include states between the
                  Appalachian Mountains to the Rocky Mountains and north of the Ohio
                  River.

                  The term West was applied to the region in the early years of the
                  country. During this time, the vast majority of the population lived
                  east of the Appalachian Mountains, but the country's borders
                  stretched west all the way to the Rocky Mountains. Later, the vast
                  region west of the Appalachians was divided into the Far West (now
                  just the West), and the Middle West. Some parts of the Midwest have
                  also been referred to as North West for historical reasons (for
                  instance, this explains the Minnesota-based Northwest Airlines and
                  the former Norwest Bank), so the current Northwest region of the
                  country is called the Pacific Northwest to make a clear distinction."

                  Kevin Lindsey
                  2nd Michigan Territorial Militia

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, johnogden@d... wrote:
                  > All-
                  > Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't a large body of water
                  something
                  > of a pre-requisite for tall ships? Having lived all over the lower
                  > 48 in the US, I don't reallt recall seeing much in that line out in
                  > the Great Plains. If, contrarily you feel that Ohio, Michigan and
                  > Illinois are mid-western, then I suppose something could be done,
                  but
                  > that's pretty far north for the southerners as well (and is again in
                  > the Great Lakes region).
                  >
                  > John J. Ogden
                  > 17th US Inf. (probationary)
                • PETER CATLEY
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                    No wonder you guys never know where you are :-)

                    As for finding europe, well there's little hope!

                    Cheers

                    P**

                    ---------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                      From: "Kevin Lindsey" <union47th@...>

                      Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered midwestern
                      states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau According to their glossary the
                      Midwest region consists of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas,
                      Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

                      Thank you Mr. Lindsey,

                      I guess to set the record straight and in order to be fair to the many
                      re-enactors who travel long distances from the Eastern, Southern and Western
                      United States, the 2006 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Committee is looking for
                      a site somewhere in the USA ... that is not in the Great Lakes Basin, as the
                      two past 1812 Grand Tacticals have been located .
                      ---

                      As reported before:

                      "... Steve Abolt, is investigating sites in the southern USA, Ed
                      Seufert, is investigating sites in the eastern USA, Michael Mathews, is
                      investigating sites in the western USA ... and their committee is hard at
                      work choosing a site in the USA for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical. [ Since
                      this post Mr. John Fenner has come forward with suggestions of sites and
                      another suggestion is that a future 1812 Grand Tactical be more accessible
                      for the many re-enactors from California. ]

                      The site and date will be announced as soon as confirmation is made with
                      the site officials. As the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is planned, work is also
                      being carried out on the organisation of the 2007 and 2008 1812 Grand
                      Tacticals.

                      If you know of a site in Canada or the USA that can support
                      approximately 1000 re-enactors, tall ships, enough room to deploy cavalry,
                      has an 1812 connection, has the funds to present an 1812 Grand Tactical and
                      is willing to do so, please have that site contact this writer... "

                      The 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is of prime importance as an announcement
                      of dates and location is necessary for re-enactors to plan for this event
                      next year.

                      Yrs,.
                      L2