Re: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical

  • johnogden@darksleep.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
      All-
      Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't a large body of water something
      of a pre-requisite for tall ships? Having lived all over the lower
      48 in the US, I don't reallt recall seeing much in that line out in
      the Great Plains. If, contrarily you feel that Ohio, Michigan and
      Illinois are mid-western, then I suppose something could be done, but
      that's pretty far north for the southerners as well (and is again in
      the Great Lakes region).

      John J. Ogden
      17th US Inf. (probationary)

      > Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?
      > From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
      > Date: 2005/08/03 Wed AM 10:28:03 EST
      > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical
    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
        From: "Rob Friar" <vastatenavy@...>

        To those planning the 2006 Grand Tactical. Just wondering if a date has
        been set yet.

        The Date and Site for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical has not been finalised as
        of yet.

        The 2006 1812 Grand Tactical site is to be in the USA, it is agreed by most
        that it should be in mid USA as the two past 1812 Grand Tactical's have been
        in the Great Lakes Basin. This is only fair to the re-enactors from the
        southern United States who have travelled north to attend in the past. The
        site and date will be announced as soon as confirmation is made with the
        site officials.

        If you know of a site in Canada or the USA that can support approximately
        1000 re-enactors, tall ships, enough room to deploy cavalry, has an 1812
        connection, has the funds to present an 1812 Grand Tactical and is willing
        to do so, please have that site contact me.

        The Date and Site for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical shall be posted on this
        Yahoo Group as soon as a site and date have been finalized.

        Yrs.,
        L2
      • Peter Monahan
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
          Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?
          From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
          Date: 2005/08/03 Wed AM 10:28:03 EST
          To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical

          From: "Rob Friar" <vastatenavy@...>

[...]

          petermonahan@...
          705-435-0953 home
        • lalozon
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
            From: "Rich Parkinson" <rich.parkinson@...>

            To date we have experienced two 1812 Grand Tacticals. Both events were
            held on dates in which the site has traditionally held their own 1812 event
            in the past.

            Rich et al

            The Date of the 2006, 2007, 2008, etc., Annual 1812 Grand Tacticals are not
            set. Therefore they can possibly be any date and not necessarily the date
            that the site has it's normal re-enactment weekend.

            Note that Fort Niagara has changed it's 1812 date to accommodate the Crown
            Forces for their event at Fort Niagara.
            Aug 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y. (changed from
            September)

            Thus the Annual 1812 Grand Tactical date will most likely move.

            In conversations with Mr. Pickles, he has informed us Canadians that New
            Orleans in the summer would not make for a good 1812 Grand Tactical (too
            bloody hot!) Therefore consideration for location is also being made.

            In conversations with Mr. Webb, he has come to the conclusion that the 2005
            Saturday evening battlefield was too small, and if another 1812 Grand
            Tactical is held at his site that a larger field will be used ... and that
            is not counting the attendance of more artillery or cavalry.

            In conclusion the date and site will most likely constantly move. One year
            in Canada the next in the USA.

            If anyone knows of a site in the USA (that is not in the Great Lakes Basin
            for 2006 ) that can support approximately 1000 re-enactors, tall ships,
            enough room to deploy cavalry, has an 1812 connection, has the funds to
            present an 1812 Grand Tactical and is willing to do so ... please have that
            site contact me.

            Yrs.
            L2
          • JGIL1812@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
              In a message dated 8/3/2005 7:42:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              petemonahan@... writes:

              > Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?

              Pete,

              They are called "Prairie Schooners". Should be quite the show!

              JG/RE

            • lalozon
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                From: "PETER CATLEY" <peter.catley@...>

                Whilst appreciating that our concerns in the matter of dates and locations
                for the GT are very minor it would help those planning overseas trips to
                have as much advance notice as you can in practical terms give us.

                I have aspirations for a trip to the 2007 GT for a party from UK, so far I
                expect it to be in Canada,

                My Dear Mr Catley, et al

                First and foremost a visit from our brother UK re-enactors is always
                welcomed. It was very nice to have you, the Squire and the other UK'ians
                visit the Colonies.

                Second, the US and Crown Commanders have agreed in principle that all
                sites in the Great Lakes Basin within a few hours drive from Toronto will be
                considered "Canadian Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Sites". For example Fort
                Niagara which is a short drive from the Toronto area.

                Therefore the next Canadian 1812 Grand Tactical may not actually be on
                sovereign Canadian soil.
                (As Molson/Coors is not really Canadian Beer (Squire, we like it cold! :-)

                PS: Mr Catley
                I see in the local newspaper that the Chelsea Pensioners had the
                crowning touch in the Chelsea Garden Show held on the grounds of the Royal
                Hospital Chelsea in London. Many of the veterans living in the hospital have
                award winning private gardens.

                Yrs,.
                L2
              • lalozon
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                  From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

                  Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?

                  Typical Canuck!!

                  Have you not heard of the Mississippi River in American Mid-West

                  Hmm..!?

                  L2
                • Peter Catley
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Thanks for the information Larry please keep us posted as things develop. As
                    for gardening I'm afraid thats a duty too far for this Pensioner, but I did
                    see the programme on the BBC and the pub they'd set up looked really good
                    although perhaps a bit Chocate Box for London these days!

                    Take care now.

                    P**

[...]

                    square miles...

                    ---------------------------------
                    Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                    http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                    American Forces Unit Listing
                    http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "WarOf1812
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812> " on the web.

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    _____

                  • K. J. Lindsey
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                      Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered
                      midwestern states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau
                      According to their glossary the Midwest region consists of North
                      Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota,
                      Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

                      Just for the historical tidbit, (and not to make a mountain out of a
                      molehill as I know this is originally about the G.T.) heres a little
                      blurb from Wikipedia I found interesting that explains the regional
                      evolution:

                      "The term "Midwest" originated in the 19th century, along
                      with "Middle West" and "Heartland", and referred to generally the
                      same areas and states in the middle of the country. The heart of the
                      Midwest is bounded by the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Mississippi
                      River Valleys, the "Old Northwest" (or the "West"), referring to the
                      states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin, which
                      comprised the original Northwest Territory. This area is now called
                      the East North Central States by the United States Census Bureau. The
                      Northwest Territory was created out of the ceded English (formerly
                      French and Native American) frontier lands by the Continental
                      Congress just before the U.S. Constitution was ratified under the
                      Northwest Ordinance. The Northwest Ordinance prohibited slavery and
                      religious discrimination, and promoted public schools and private
                      property. As Revolutionary War soldiers from the original colonies
                      were awarded lands in Ohio and migrated there and to other Midwestern
                      states with other pioneers, including many immigrants from central
                      and northern Europe, the area became the first thoroughly "American"
                      region. The Midwest region today refers not only to states created
                      from the Northwest Ordinance, but also may include states between the
                      Appalachian Mountains to the Rocky Mountains and north of the Ohio
                      River.

                      The term West was applied to the region in the early years of the
                      country. During this time, the vast majority of the population lived
                      east of the Appalachian Mountains, but the country's borders
                      stretched west all the way to the Rocky Mountains. Later, the vast
                      region west of the Appalachians was divided into the Far West (now
                      just the West), and the Middle West. Some parts of the Midwest have
                      also been referred to as North West for historical reasons (for
                      instance, this explains the Minnesota-based Northwest Airlines and
                      the former Norwest Bank), so the current Northwest region of the
                      country is called the Pacific Northwest to make a clear distinction."

                      Kevin Lindsey
                      2nd Michigan Territorial Militia

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, johnogden@d... wrote:
                      > All-
                      > Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't a large body of water
                      something
                      > of a pre-requisite for tall ships? Having lived all over the lower
                      > 48 in the US, I don't reallt recall seeing much in that line out in
                      > the Great Plains. If, contrarily you feel that Ohio, Michigan and
                      > Illinois are mid-western, then I suppose something could be done,
                      but
                      > that's pretty far north for the southerners as well (and is again in
                      > the Great Lakes region).
                      >
                      > John J. Ogden
                      > 17th US Inf. (probationary)
                    • PETER CATLEY
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                        No wonder you guys never know where you are :-)

                        As for finding europe, well there's little hope!

                        Cheers

                        P**

                        ---------------------------------

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                          From: "Kevin Lindsey" <union47th@...>

                          Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered midwestern
                          states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau According to their glossary the
                          Midwest region consists of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas,
                          Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

                          Thank you Mr. Lindsey,

                          I guess to set the record straight and in order to be fair to the many
                          re-enactors who travel long distances from the Eastern, Southern and Western
                          United States, the 2006 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Committee is looking for
                          a site somewhere in the USA ... that is not in the Great Lakes Basin, as the
                          two past 1812 Grand Tacticals have been located .
                          ---

                          As reported before:

                          "... Steve Abolt, is investigating sites in the southern USA, Ed
                          Seufert, is investigating sites in the eastern USA, Michael Mathews, is
                          investigating sites in the western USA ... and their committee is hard at
                          work choosing a site in the USA for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical. [ Since
                          this post Mr. John Fenner has come forward with suggestions of sites and
                          another suggestion is that a future 1812 Grand Tactical be more accessible
                          for the many re-enactors from California. ]

                          The site and date will be announced as soon as confirmation is made with
                          the site officials. As the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is planned, work is also
                          being carried out on the organisation of the 2007 and 2008 1812 Grand
                          Tacticals.

                          If you know of a site in Canada or the USA that can support
                          approximately 1000 re-enactors, tall ships, enough room to deploy cavalry,
                          has an 1812 connection, has the funds to present an 1812 Grand Tactical and
                          is willing to do so, please have that site contact this writer... "

                          The 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is of prime importance as an announcement
                          of dates and location is necessary for re-enactors to plan for this event
                          next year.

                          Yrs,.
                          L2