Re: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical

  • PETER CATLEY
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
      Whilst appreciating that our concerns in the matter of
      dates and locations for the GT are very minor it would
      help those planning overseas trips to have as much
      advance notice as you can in practical terms give us.

      I have aspirations for a trip to the 2007 GT for a
      party from UK, so far I expect it to be in Canada,
      additional information appreciated went it is
      partctical :-)

      Incidentally I learnt of plans for an event to mark
      the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Jena around
      about the weekend of 13 and 14 October 2006! (Jena is
      in eastern Germany).

      Cheers
      P**
    • PEGGY MATHEWS
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
        Keep me in the info loop on Jena-Auerstadt please Peter. That's an event we would very much like to do in my "other" group. I'm assuming our UK branch will be planning too, but an extra information source can't hurt.

        Thanks,
        Michael

      • johnogden@darksleep.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
          All-
          Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't a large body of water something
          of a pre-requisite for tall ships? Having lived all over the lower
          48 in the US, I don't reallt recall seeing much in that line out in
          the Great Plains. If, contrarily you feel that Ohio, Michigan and
          Illinois are mid-western, then I suppose something could be done, but
          that's pretty far north for the southerners as well (and is again in
          the Great Lakes region).

          John J. Ogden
          17th US Inf. (probationary)

          > Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?
          > From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
          > Date: 2005/08/03 Wed AM 10:28:03 EST
          > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical
        • lalozon
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
            From: "Rob Friar" <vastatenavy@...>

            To those planning the 2006 Grand Tactical. Just wondering if a date has
            been set yet.

            The Date and Site for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical has not been finalised as
            of yet.

            The 2006 1812 Grand Tactical site is to be in the USA, it is agreed by most
            that it should be in mid USA as the two past 1812 Grand Tactical's have been
            in the Great Lakes Basin. This is only fair to the re-enactors from the
            southern United States who have travelled north to attend in the past. The
            site and date will be announced as soon as confirmation is made with the
            site officials.

            If you know of a site in Canada or the USA that can support approximately
            1000 re-enactors, tall ships, enough room to deploy cavalry, has an 1812
            connection, has the funds to present an 1812 Grand Tactical and is willing
            to do so, please have that site contact me.

            The Date and Site for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical shall be posted on this
            Yahoo Group as soon as a site and date have been finalized.

            Yrs.,
            L2
          • Peter Monahan
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
              Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?
              From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
              Date: 2005/08/03 Wed AM 10:28:03 EST
              To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical

              From: "Rob Friar" <vastatenavy@...>

[...]

              petermonahan@...
              705-435-0953 home
            • lalozon
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                From: "Rich Parkinson" <rich.parkinson@...>

                To date we have experienced two 1812 Grand Tacticals. Both events were
                held on dates in which the site has traditionally held their own 1812 event
                in the past.

                Rich et al

                The Date of the 2006, 2007, 2008, etc., Annual 1812 Grand Tacticals are not
                set. Therefore they can possibly be any date and not necessarily the date
                that the site has it's normal re-enactment weekend.

                Note that Fort Niagara has changed it's 1812 date to accommodate the Crown
                Forces for their event at Fort Niagara.
                Aug 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y. (changed from
                September)

                Thus the Annual 1812 Grand Tactical date will most likely move.

                In conversations with Mr. Pickles, he has informed us Canadians that New
                Orleans in the summer would not make for a good 1812 Grand Tactical (too
                bloody hot!) Therefore consideration for location is also being made.

                In conversations with Mr. Webb, he has come to the conclusion that the 2005
                Saturday evening battlefield was too small, and if another 1812 Grand
                Tactical is held at his site that a larger field will be used ... and that
                is not counting the attendance of more artillery or cavalry.

                In conclusion the date and site will most likely constantly move. One year
                in Canada the next in the USA.

                If anyone knows of a site in the USA (that is not in the Great Lakes Basin
                for 2006 ) that can support approximately 1000 re-enactors, tall ships,
                enough room to deploy cavalry, has an 1812 connection, has the funds to
                present an 1812 Grand Tactical and is willing to do so ... please have that
                site contact me.

                Yrs.
                L2
              • JGIL1812@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                  In a message dated 8/3/2005 7:42:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                  petemonahan@... writes:

                  > Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?

                  Pete,

                  They are called "Prairie Schooners". Should be quite the show!

                  JG/RE

                • lalozon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                    From: "PETER CATLEY" <peter.catley@...>

                    Whilst appreciating that our concerns in the matter of dates and locations
                    for the GT are very minor it would help those planning overseas trips to
                    have as much advance notice as you can in practical terms give us.

                    I have aspirations for a trip to the 2007 GT for a party from UK, so far I
                    expect it to be in Canada,

                    My Dear Mr Catley, et al

                    First and foremost a visit from our brother UK re-enactors is always
                    welcomed. It was very nice to have you, the Squire and the other UK'ians
                    visit the Colonies.

                    Second, the US and Crown Commanders have agreed in principle that all
                    sites in the Great Lakes Basin within a few hours drive from Toronto will be
                    considered "Canadian Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Sites". For example Fort
                    Niagara which is a short drive from the Toronto area.

                    Therefore the next Canadian 1812 Grand Tactical may not actually be on
                    sovereign Canadian soil.
                    (As Molson/Coors is not really Canadian Beer (Squire, we like it cold! :-)

                    PS: Mr Catley
                    I see in the local newspaper that the Chelsea Pensioners had the
                    crowning touch in the Chelsea Garden Show held on the grounds of the Royal
                    Hospital Chelsea in London. Many of the veterans living in the hospital have
                    award winning private gardens.

                    Yrs,.
                    L2
                  • lalozon
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                      From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

                      Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?

                      Typical Canuck!!

                      Have you not heard of the Mississippi River in American Mid-West

                      Hmm..!?

                      L2
                    • Peter Catley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                        Thanks for the information Larry please keep us posted as things develop. As
                        for gardening I'm afraid thats a duty too far for this Pensioner, but I did
                        see the programme on the BBC and the pub they'd set up looked really good
                        although perhaps a bit Chocate Box for London these days!

                        Take care now.

                        P**

[...]

                        square miles...

                        ---------------------------------
                        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                        American Forces Unit Listing
                        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                        _____

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        * Visit your group "WarOf1812
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812> " on the web.

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        _____

                      • K. J. Lindsey
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                          Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered
                          midwestern states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau
                          According to their glossary the Midwest region consists of North
                          Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota,
                          Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

                          Just for the historical tidbit, (and not to make a mountain out of a
                          molehill as I know this is originally about the G.T.) heres a little
                          blurb from Wikipedia I found interesting that explains the regional
                          evolution:

                          "The term "Midwest" originated in the 19th century, along
                          with "Middle West" and "Heartland", and referred to generally the
                          same areas and states in the middle of the country. The heart of the
                          Midwest is bounded by the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Mississippi
                          River Valleys, the "Old Northwest" (or the "West"), referring to the
                          states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin, which
                          comprised the original Northwest Territory. This area is now called
                          the East North Central States by the United States Census Bureau. The
                          Northwest Territory was created out of the ceded English (formerly
                          French and Native American) frontier lands by the Continental
                          Congress just before the U.S. Constitution was ratified under the
                          Northwest Ordinance. The Northwest Ordinance prohibited slavery and
                          religious discrimination, and promoted public schools and private
                          property. As Revolutionary War soldiers from the original colonies
                          were awarded lands in Ohio and migrated there and to other Midwestern
                          states with other pioneers, including many immigrants from central
                          and northern Europe, the area became the first thoroughly "American"
                          region. The Midwest region today refers not only to states created
                          from the Northwest Ordinance, but also may include states between the
                          Appalachian Mountains to the Rocky Mountains and north of the Ohio
                          River.

                          The term West was applied to the region in the early years of the
                          country. During this time, the vast majority of the population lived
                          east of the Appalachian Mountains, but the country's borders
                          stretched west all the way to the Rocky Mountains. Later, the vast
                          region west of the Appalachians was divided into the Far West (now
                          just the West), and the Middle West. Some parts of the Midwest have
                          also been referred to as North West for historical reasons (for
                          instance, this explains the Minnesota-based Northwest Airlines and
                          the former Norwest Bank), so the current Northwest region of the
                          country is called the Pacific Northwest to make a clear distinction."

                          Kevin Lindsey
                          2nd Michigan Territorial Militia

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, johnogden@d... wrote:
                          > All-
                          > Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't a large body of water
                          something
                          > of a pre-requisite for tall ships? Having lived all over the lower
                          > 48 in the US, I don't reallt recall seeing much in that line out in
                          > the Great Plains. If, contrarily you feel that Ohio, Michigan and
                          > Illinois are mid-western, then I suppose something could be done,
                          but
                          > that's pretty far north for the southerners as well (and is again in
                          > the Great Lakes region).
                          >
                          > John J. Ogden
                          > 17th US Inf. (probationary)
                        • PETER CATLEY
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                            No wonder you guys never know where you are :-)

                            As for finding europe, well there's little hope!

                            Cheers

                            P**

                            ---------------------------------

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                              From: "Kevin Lindsey" <union47th@...>

                              Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered midwestern
                              states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau According to their glossary the
                              Midwest region consists of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas,
                              Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

                              Thank you Mr. Lindsey,

                              I guess to set the record straight and in order to be fair to the many
                              re-enactors who travel long distances from the Eastern, Southern and Western
                              United States, the 2006 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Committee is looking for
                              a site somewhere in the USA ... that is not in the Great Lakes Basin, as the
                              two past 1812 Grand Tacticals have been located .
                              ---

                              As reported before:

                              "... Steve Abolt, is investigating sites in the southern USA, Ed
                              Seufert, is investigating sites in the eastern USA, Michael Mathews, is
                              investigating sites in the western USA ... and their committee is hard at
                              work choosing a site in the USA for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical. [ Since
                              this post Mr. John Fenner has come forward with suggestions of sites and
                              another suggestion is that a future 1812 Grand Tactical be more accessible
                              for the many re-enactors from California. ]

                              The site and date will be announced as soon as confirmation is made with
                              the site officials. As the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is planned, work is also
                              being carried out on the organisation of the 2007 and 2008 1812 Grand
                              Tacticals.

                              If you know of a site in Canada or the USA that can support
                              approximately 1000 re-enactors, tall ships, enough room to deploy cavalry,
                              has an 1812 connection, has the funds to present an 1812 Grand Tactical and
                              is willing to do so, please have that site contact this writer... "

                              The 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is of prime importance as an announcement
                              of dates and location is necessary for re-enactors to plan for this event
                              next year.

                              Yrs,.
                              L2