Re: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical

  • Rich Parkinson
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
      Rob,

      To date we have experienced two 1812 Grand Tacticals. Both events were held
      on dates in which the site has traditionally held their own 1812 event in
      the past. Mid July has been the typical timeframe for Fort George as the
      end of May (last years GT) has been the date that Fort Meigs has held their
      own 1812 event the past few years. I don't believe a standardized date for
      all GT's to be in the works as we are at the mercy of when a site is
      available. Of course I could be wrong. :)

      R. Parkinson
      41st

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
        Whilst appreciating that our concerns in the matter of
        dates and locations for the GT are very minor it would
        help those planning overseas trips to have as much
        advance notice as you can in practical terms give us.

        I have aspirations for a trip to the 2007 GT for a
        party from UK, so far I expect it to be in Canada,
        additional information appreciated went it is
        partctical :-)

        Incidentally I learnt of plans for an event to mark
        the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Jena around
        about the weekend of 13 and 14 October 2006! (Jena is
        in eastern Germany).

        Cheers
        P**
      • PEGGY MATHEWS
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
          Keep me in the info loop on Jena-Auerstadt please Peter. That's an event we would very much like to do in my "other" group. I'm assuming our UK branch will be planning too, but an extra information source can't hurt.

          Thanks,
          Michael

        • johnogden@darksleep.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
            All-
            Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't a large body of water something
            of a pre-requisite for tall ships? Having lived all over the lower
            48 in the US, I don't reallt recall seeing much in that line out in
            the Great Plains. If, contrarily you feel that Ohio, Michigan and
            Illinois are mid-western, then I suppose something could be done, but
            that's pretty far north for the southerners as well (and is again in
            the Great Lakes region).

            John J. Ogden
            17th US Inf. (probationary)

            > Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?
            > From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
            > Date: 2005/08/03 Wed AM 10:28:03 EST
            > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [WarOf1812] 2006 Grand Tactical
          • lalozon
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
              From: "Rob Friar" <vastatenavy@...>

              To those planning the 2006 Grand Tactical. Just wondering if a date has
              been set yet.

              The Date and Site for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical has not been finalised as
              of yet.

              The 2006 1812 Grand Tactical site is to be in the USA, it is agreed by most
              that it should be in mid USA as the two past 1812 Grand Tactical's have been
              in the Great Lakes Basin. This is only fair to the re-enactors from the
              southern United States who have travelled north to attend in the past. The
              site and date will be announced as soon as confirmation is made with the
              site officials.

              If you know of a site in Canada or the USA that can support approximately
              1000 re-enactors, tall ships, enough room to deploy cavalry, has an 1812
              connection, has the funds to present an 1812 Grand Tactical and is willing
              to do so, please have that site contact me.

              The Date and Site for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical shall be posted on this
              Yahoo Group as soon as a site and date have been finalized.

              Yrs.,
              L2
            • Peter Monahan
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?
                From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
                Date: 2005/08/03 Wed AM 10:28:03 EST
                To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>

                From: "Rob Friar" <vastatenavy@...>

[...]

                petermonahan@...
                705-435-0953 home
              • lalozon
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                  From: "Rich Parkinson" <rich.parkinson@...>

                  To date we have experienced two 1812 Grand Tacticals. Both events were
                  held on dates in which the site has traditionally held their own 1812 event
                  in the past.

                  Rich et al

                  The Date of the 2006, 2007, 2008, etc., Annual 1812 Grand Tacticals are not
                  set. Therefore they can possibly be any date and not necessarily the date
                  that the site has it's normal re-enactment weekend.

                  Note that Fort Niagara has changed it's 1812 date to accommodate the Crown
                  Forces for their event at Fort Niagara.
                  Aug 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y. (changed from
                  September)

                  Thus the Annual 1812 Grand Tactical date will most likely move.

                  In conversations with Mr. Pickles, he has informed us Canadians that New
                  Orleans in the summer would not make for a good 1812 Grand Tactical (too
                  bloody hot!) Therefore consideration for location is also being made.

                  In conversations with Mr. Webb, he has come to the conclusion that the 2005
                  Saturday evening battlefield was too small, and if another 1812 Grand
                  Tactical is held at his site that a larger field will be used ... and that
                  is not counting the attendance of more artillery or cavalry.

                  In conclusion the date and site will most likely constantly move. One year
                  in Canada the next in the USA.

                  If anyone knows of a site in the USA (that is not in the Great Lakes Basin
                  for 2006 ) that can support approximately 1000 re-enactors, tall ships,
                  enough room to deploy cavalry, has an 1812 connection, has the funds to
                  present an 1812 Grand Tactical and is willing to do so ... please have that
                  site contact me.

                  Yrs.
                  L2
                • JGIL1812@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                    In a message dated 8/3/2005 7:42:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                    petemonahan@... writes:

                    > Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?

                    Pete,

                    They are called "Prairie Schooners". Should be quite the show!

                    JG/RE

                  • lalozon
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                      From: "PETER CATLEY" <peter.catley@...>

                      Whilst appreciating that our concerns in the matter of dates and locations
                      for the GT are very minor it would help those planning overseas trips to
                      have as much advance notice as you can in practical terms give us.

                      I have aspirations for a trip to the 2007 GT for a party from UK, so far I
                      expect it to be in Canada,

                      My Dear Mr Catley, et al

                      First and foremost a visit from our brother UK re-enactors is always
                      welcomed. It was very nice to have you, the Squire and the other UK'ians
                      visit the Colonies.

                      Second, the US and Crown Commanders have agreed in principle that all
                      sites in the Great Lakes Basin within a few hours drive from Toronto will be
                      considered "Canadian Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Sites". For example Fort
                      Niagara which is a short drive from the Toronto area.

                      Therefore the next Canadian 1812 Grand Tactical may not actually be on
                      sovereign Canadian soil.
                      (As Molson/Coors is not really Canadian Beer (Squire, we like it cold! :-)

                      PS: Mr Catley
                      I see in the local newspaper that the Chelsea Pensioners had the
                      crowning touch in the Chelsea Garden Show held on the grounds of the Royal
                      Hospital Chelsea in London. Many of the veterans living in the hospital have
                      award winning private gardens.

                      Yrs,.
                      L2
                    • lalozon
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                        From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

                        Tall ships in the American Mid-West, Sir Larry? Hmm..?

                        Typical Canuck!!

                        Have you not heard of the Mississippi River in American Mid-West

                        Hmm..!?

                        L2
                      • Peter Catley
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                          Thanks for the information Larry please keep us posted as things develop. As
                          for gardening I'm afraid thats a duty too far for this Pensioner, but I did
                          see the programme on the BBC and the pub they'd set up looked really good
                          although perhaps a bit Chocate Box for London these days!

                          Take care now.

                          P**

[...]

                          square miles...

                          ---------------------------------
                          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                          American Forces Unit Listing
                          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "WarOf1812
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812> " on the web.

                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          _____

                        • K. J. Lindsey
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                            Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered
                            midwestern states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau
                            According to their glossary the Midwest region consists of North
                            Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota,
                            Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

                            Just for the historical tidbit, (and not to make a mountain out of a
                            molehill as I know this is originally about the G.T.) heres a little
                            blurb from Wikipedia I found interesting that explains the regional
                            evolution:

                            "The term "Midwest" originated in the 19th century, along
                            with "Middle West" and "Heartland", and referred to generally the
                            same areas and states in the middle of the country. The heart of the
                            Midwest is bounded by the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Mississippi
                            River Valleys, the "Old Northwest" (or the "West"), referring to the
                            states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin, which
                            comprised the original Northwest Territory. This area is now called
                            the East North Central States by the United States Census Bureau. The
                            Northwest Territory was created out of the ceded English (formerly
                            French and Native American) frontier lands by the Continental
                            Congress just before the U.S. Constitution was ratified under the
                            Northwest Ordinance. The Northwest Ordinance prohibited slavery and
                            religious discrimination, and promoted public schools and private
                            property. As Revolutionary War soldiers from the original colonies
                            were awarded lands in Ohio and migrated there and to other Midwestern
                            states with other pioneers, including many immigrants from central
                            and northern Europe, the area became the first thoroughly "American"
                            region. The Midwest region today refers not only to states created
                            from the Northwest Ordinance, but also may include states between the
                            Appalachian Mountains to the Rocky Mountains and north of the Ohio
                            River.

                            The term West was applied to the region in the early years of the
                            country. During this time, the vast majority of the population lived
                            east of the Appalachian Mountains, but the country's borders
                            stretched west all the way to the Rocky Mountains. Later, the vast
                            region west of the Appalachians was divided into the Far West (now
                            just the West), and the Middle West. Some parts of the Midwest have
                            also been referred to as North West for historical reasons (for
                            instance, this explains the Minnesota-based Northwest Airlines and
                            the former Norwest Bank), so the current Northwest region of the
                            country is called the Pacific Northwest to make a clear distinction."

                            Kevin Lindsey
                            2nd Michigan Territorial Militia

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, johnogden@d... wrote:
                            > All-
                            > Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't a large body of water
                            something
                            > of a pre-requisite for tall ships? Having lived all over the lower
                            > 48 in the US, I don't reallt recall seeing much in that line out in
                            > the Great Plains. If, contrarily you feel that Ohio, Michigan and
                            > Illinois are mid-western, then I suppose something could be done,
                            but
                            > that's pretty far north for the southerners as well (and is again in
                            > the Great Lakes region).
                            >
                            > John J. Ogden
                            > 17th US Inf. (probationary)
                          • PETER CATLEY
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                              No wonder you guys never know where you are :-)

                              As for finding europe, well there's little hope!

                              Cheers

                              P**

                              ---------------------------------

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                                From: "Kevin Lindsey" <union47th@...>

                                Just for the record, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are considered midwestern
                                states as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau According to their glossary the
                                Midwest region consists of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas,
                                Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

                                Thank you Mr. Lindsey,

                                I guess to set the record straight and in order to be fair to the many
                                re-enactors who travel long distances from the Eastern, Southern and Western
                                United States, the 2006 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Committee is looking for
                                a site somewhere in the USA ... that is not in the Great Lakes Basin, as the
                                two past 1812 Grand Tacticals have been located .
                                ---

                                As reported before:

                                "... Steve Abolt, is investigating sites in the southern USA, Ed
                                Seufert, is investigating sites in the eastern USA, Michael Mathews, is
                                investigating sites in the western USA ... and their committee is hard at
                                work choosing a site in the USA for the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical. [ Since
                                this post Mr. John Fenner has come forward with suggestions of sites and
                                another suggestion is that a future 1812 Grand Tactical be more accessible
                                for the many re-enactors from California. ]

                                The site and date will be announced as soon as confirmation is made with
                                the site officials. As the 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is planned, work is also
                                being carried out on the organisation of the 2007 and 2008 1812 Grand
                                Tacticals.

                                If you know of a site in Canada or the USA that can support
                                approximately 1000 re-enactors, tall ships, enough room to deploy cavalry,
                                has an 1812 connection, has the funds to present an 1812 Grand Tactical and
                                is willing to do so, please have that site contact this writer... "

                                The 2006 1812 Grand Tactical is of prime importance as an announcement
                                of dates and location is necessary for re-enactors to plan for this event
                                next year.

                                Yrs,.
                                L2