Belgic shako

  • dan_055
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6 1:58 AM
      I'm probably the only one that doesn't know this,
      but when did the Belgic shako replace the stovepipe
      in the American regular units. How about the State
      line units?
    • James
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6 6:45 AM
        The tombstone was used by American regular troops until the uniform
        change of 1821. The bellcrown was then used for a decade until the
        next major change. I have no information about state line units.
        While the uniform change was official in 1821, there was a lag before
        all troops had the proper issue. Especially those stationed in the
        west at the end of the supply lines.

        Jas

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "dan_055" <dan_055@y...> wrote:
        > I'm probably the only one that doesn't know this,
        > but when did the Belgic shako replace the stovepipe
        > in the American regular units. How about the State
        > line units?
      • machewr
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6 12:05 PM
          Sorry, at work and don't have exact dates, but a I recall that it was approved for 1813 but
          supply and logistics probably kept many units from receiving it until the winter of 1813/
          1814. Picture troops in 1812 with stovepipe, 1814 with mostly Belgic, and 1813 a mix but
          probably mostly stovepipe. I would same about the same for the uniforms.

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "dan_055" <dan_055@y...> wrote:
          > I'm probably the only one that doesn't know this,
          > but when did the Belgic shako replace the stovepipe
          > in the American regular units. How about the State
          > line units?
        • lalozon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6 2:10 PM
            "dan_055" <dan_055@y...> wrote:

            "... when did the Belgic shako replace the stovepipe in the American regular
            units.

            dan:

            I was under the impression that the terms "Stovepipe" and "Belgic"
            referred to the early war Crown Forces shako and never the USA Forces shako

            I have heard the term "Tombstone" shako used to describe the late war
            leather USA shako ...

            I now defer to my learned USA uniform experts ... Mr. Abolt ... Mr. Bennett
            ... Mr. Bolla ...!?

            Yrs.,

            L2
          • Camp Chief
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7 6:48 AM
              From CBC Web Page today

              David Randle

              Scout Brigade of Fort George

              Thieves steal antique cannons from N.B. fort

              Last Updated Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:49:31 EDT

              CBC News <http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html>

              Robbers have carried off two valuable cast-iron cannons, which each weighed
              nearly 100 kilograms, from a historic fort in southeastern New Brunswick.

              They took one of the cannons in the middle of the night on June 30 from Fort
              Beauséjour, which lies nine kilometres east of Sackville in Aulac near the
              border with Nova Scotia.

              Two nights later, the second cannon disappeared from the 18th-century fort,
              which is a national historic site.

              The two cannons are considered to be rare and valuable.

              Cpl. Jim Baird, an RCMP spokesman, said they may have been destined for the
              thriving black market for historical relics that exists in Ontario, Quebec
              and the United States.

              "I suspect that these things have probably headed out that way, too, or even
              the more exotic places overseas or Saudi Arabia. We know vehicles go that
              route."

              Fort Beauséjour, which lies in a strategic location on the shores of the Bay
              of Fundy, was one of the last strongholds of French power in Atlantic
              Canada.

              It was built in 1751 in response to a British fort being constructed across
              the Missiquash River, which separated Acadia from the British-held Nova
              Scotia.

              The British captured Fort Beauséjour in 1755 and used it that year as they
              drove thousands of Acadians from the Atlantic colonies in a move known as
              the Great Expulsion.

              RCMP investigators said they have followed up all their own leads in
              searching for the cannons.

              They appealed to the public, asking anyone with information to call
              Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

            • Joseph Willcocks
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9 7:11 AM
                Just curious whether there are any video plans for documenting the
                battles? If not, if those on the list who're planning to bring along
                camcorders to tape the battles could contact me off-list, I'd appreciate
                it. FWIW, I'm a professional film and television editor and the
                Crysler's Farm 2002 movie in the file section is an example of my
                handiwork.

                TIA

                Ian Gardner
              • dan_055
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9 8:49 PM
                  Just to say 'thanks' to those who helped me with
                  this one.

                  Dan

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "dan_055" <dan_055@y...> wrote:
                  > I'm probably the only one that doesn't know this,
                  > but when did the Belgic shako replace the stovepipe
                  > in the American regular units. How about the State
                  > line units?
                • Angela Gottfred
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 13 4:33 PM
                    Pictures of the cannons recently stolen from Ft. Beasejour National Historic
                    Site have been uploaded to our photo section.

                    "Stolen Cannons" to see the images.

                    Here is the detailed description of the two cannons:

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    (Cannon #1 in photo section)
                    Iron gun, 1/2 pounder SBML 23.5 in long, bore diameter 1.7 in.

                    Although this small gun of 23 1/8 inches is in quite good condition, it has no
                    discernible markings. The positioning of the trunnions in the lower half of the
                    barrel suggests that it is British, but the trunnions have shoulders which is
                    unusual in British iron guns. Also, it has no vent patch, the vent having been
                    drilled through the base ring.

                    Markings:

                    Cascable: nothing
                    1st reinforce: nothing
                    2nd reinforce: nothing
                    Chase: nothing
                    Right trunnion: nothing
                    Left trunnion: nothing
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    (Cannon #2 in photo section)
                    Iron gun, 1 pounder SBML 30 in. long, bore diameter 2 in.

                    The gun is cast with a breeching loop from which the inference is made that it
                    was naval. On its underside the words LAXEVAAGS [sic] VAERK have been cast. On
                    the inside
                    of each cheek of the decorative carriage the words LAXEVAAGS [sic] VAERK BERGEN
                    have
                    been cast. The gun is 30 inches long with a bore diameter of 2 inches which is
                    the calibre of a British 1-pdr. There appear to be letters or numbers cut on the
                    first reinforce, perhaps its weight, but they are largely indecipherable. The
                    ends of the trunnions are concealed by the carriage.

                    Markings:

                    Cascable: nothing
                    1st reinforce: N 1.0 (?)
                    2nd reinforce: nothing
                    Chase: underside LAXEVAAGS VAERK
                    Right trunnion: concealed
                    Left trunnion: concealed

                    Notes: - mounted on a small, elaborately designed carriage. On the inside of
                    each
                    cheek is cast LAXEVAAGS VAERK BERGEN.

                    Please forward this information to anyone who can help out! If you see or hear
                    of these cannons, call the RCMP or police.

                    Your humble & obedient servant,
                    Angela Gottfred
                  • patrick chargo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
                      I have recently purchased a shako blank some tooling leather and a Belgic shako plate.  I am looking for suitable felt for the front shield and any information on making a Belgic shako.

                      thanks much,
                      Patrick