Re: Announcement

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 5, 2005
      Ray, congratulations. From the sounds of it, your tailor and hatter
      must be smiling as well! :-)

      Dave W.
      5th Reg't, Maryland Militia

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
      > List:
      > It has already happened, and the uniform has been "aired" at
      Longwoods
      > and Stoney Creek, but the preparatory days of the Crown Forces
      Grand
      > Tactical seems like a good time to announce officially that I shall
      be
      > henceforth wearing the uniform of a Captain of His Britannic
      Majesty's
      > Forty First Regiment of Foot, effective immediately.
      >
      > The commission of "Captain in the Regiment" was by purchase - think
      of
      > the current cost of superfine wool, silver lace, silver buttons,
      gilded
      > sword, cocked hat, marquee and furnishings, etc, etc, etc.!! :-)
      >
      > As with many units in the hobby, the 41st continues to grow, and
      for
      > this we are grateful. Perhaps in the not-too-distant-future we
      shall
      > not only add to the ranks of musketmen, but also to the Officer
      Corps.

      > I remain
      > Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant
      > Ray Hobbs
      > Captain
      > 41st Regt.
    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 5, 2005
        From: "JOHN GREIG" <je.greig@...>

        Congratualtions Mr. Hobbs.
        How did a humble Private get the cash to purchase a Commission?

        = = = =

        Private Greig, IXth Foot

        I do believe that Mr Hobbs has been a Sergeant and not a humble
        Private

        Also, he has friends at Horse Guards and the General and Brigadier
        General, (Crown Forces North America) knows him by name

        He is never seen in public in his shirt sleeves ... thus he must be
        a Gentleman and worthy of the Commission

        Congratulations Cap'n Hobbs ... a round of Claret in the Officer's Mess for
        Mr. Hobbs!

        Yrs,

        L2
      • Peter Monahan
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 5, 2005
          Captain Hobbs

          On behalf of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, congratulations on a well deserved promotion! We look forward to envying your "marquis, etc, etc, etc"

          Monahan, Sgt
          RNR (Bulger's Coy)

          From: JOHN GREIG <je.greig@...>
          Date: 2005/07/05 Tue AM 01:56:01 EST
          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Announcement

          Congratualtions Mr. Hobbs.

          How did a humble Private get the cash to purchase a Commission?

          Private John Greig
          Gentleman Volunteer.
          HM IXth Regiment of Foot.

          ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:
          seems like a good time to announce officially that I shall be
          henceforth wearing the uniform of a Captain of His Britannic Majesty's
          Forty First Regiment of Foot, effective immediately.

          The commission of "Captain in the Regiment" was by purchase -

          Peter Monahan
          petermonahan@...
          705-435-0953 home
        • david webb
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 8, 2005
            Good Morning Upper Canada!

            Things are really coming together for the Fort George event. Our general
            works crew has been building bridges, knocking holes in the palisade, and
            topping off our fire extinguishers. I have not told them about the Trojan
            rabbit yet , but they should be able to build that next week. They have
            already filed a grievance regarding Fort Niagara's elephants and resulting
            turf damage.

            More seriously, I have contacted the Canadian Customs people to confirm
            details, especially in the aftermath of yesterday's tragic events in
            London. They have confirmed that there will be no change for event
            participants. They have been extremely helpful in all of our dealings, and
            are working with us to make this event happen. My letter to Customs has
            been sent to each bridge. Fact sheets on flintlocks, cannon, horses, and
            black powder have been sent out as well. For people entering Canada with
            black powder, you can bring up to 8kg or 18 pounds (their figures) per
            person. This information has been sent to the bridges too. I would
            recommend that people bring enough for the event, but not plan on bringing
            lots of powder back into the USA. Store weapons and powder in a secure
            manner. Flintlock or other pistols should not be brought to the event. You
            should also ensure that you bring birth certificates and photo ID. And
            remember to be clear and courteous with these people. I bet their sense of
            humour is pretty limited these days. Passports are not specifically
            required for US citizens. I will be touching base with US authorities as
            well, but I want to see how events develop over the next day or so. Right
            now the security concern is with mass transit. At most, there may by random
            checks for vehicles leaving the USA, so a copy of the invitation letter
            would be very useful. If you do encounter a significant problem at Canada
            or US Customs, I will be at Navy Hall from noon onwards on Friday, or
            within reach of radio. The phone number there is (905) 468-6608. Our
            visitor center number is (905) 468-6614.

            We have gone through our registrations and it looks like we will have a
            great event. I sent our email confirmations yesterday. If you have not
            heard from me, it might be worth sending an email to check. We are placing
            our food orders today, so it is really important that units and individuals
            who have not yet contacted me do so. Please email me at
            work: david.webb@...
            I scanned Kevin Windsor's list, and have nothing from the British 8th,
            Royal Marines, and some Crown Forces staff conspicuous by their
            absence. You can also email me at work or home with questions. You can
            still register for the event, but if we do not know you are coming, we
            might not be able to feed you.
            I have placed an initial order for the chicken dinner for Saturday
            evening. I still have flexibility but I have to place my final order first
            thing on Wednesday.
            I would be remiss not to recognize and thank all of those who have
            helped pull this event together and have volunteered their time to
            help. The British and US command, the School of the Sailor organizers, and
            those who have offered to help with the camp layout and setup. I really
            must single out Vic Suthren, who has been absolutely tireless and Betsy
            Bashore and Kevin Windsor who have polled the community and set up the
            event website. This is in no way "my" event, but will be something we will
            all be proud of. Hats off to you all!
            I look forward to seeing you at Fort George
            >David Webb

            >of square miles...

          • Craig Williams
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
              April 1, 2009

              With permission of Brig. Gen. Twist,

              I would like to forward the following announcement to the members of
              the Crown Forces and the reenactment community of the North American
              War (1812).

              Effective immediately, Ray Hobbs, Hon. Col. 41st, (having stepped
              down from active field command in the same regiment),
              has agreed to take on the duties and responsibilities of Aide de
              Camp, (with the Army rank of Major), to Lt. Col. Williams.
            • peter monahan
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                Mr. Hobbs,

                Would that I were able to say "Let me be the first to congratulate you!" but, alas the best I can do is to be the sixth or seventh to do so. Neverthelesss, my feelings are sincere and deeply held. I should also take the oppurtuinity to tell you, should you not be aware of it, how lucky you are to work with that epitome of military virtue, the brave, the able, the modest Colonel Williams.

                Yr most obedient, sir

                Sergeant Major Toady

                PS: will you be joing us at the NCO School, ABOUT WHICH WE HAVE HEARD SO MUCH of late? :7)
              • Victor Suthren
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                  Mr Hobbs and Mr Williams are very fine men indeed. It's a pleasure to share a hobby with them.

                  Vic Suthren

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                    How passive agressive of you! Should you not already be at the fort waiting for the men to get there so you can tell them how late they really are!!

                    KW

                    To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                      Congratulations Major Hobbs!!

                      Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private and
                      me a lowly corporal!

                      KW

                      89th

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                        Aye but it's an even greater pleasure to share a dram wi' them!  :)
                        I add my congratulations to the list, Sir.

                        Hal Dennison
                        1-800-385-9630
                        www.JustDreamLife.com

                        I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from home.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                          In a message dated 4/2/2009 5:32:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                          kevin.windsor@... writes:

                          <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private
                          and
                          me a lowly corporal!>>
                          Now Kevin,

                          You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the rankers will
                          never do!

                          JG/RE

                          **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

                        • Kevin Garrett
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                            > <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private > and> me a lowly corporal!>>

                            > You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the rankers will
                            > never do!
                            >
                            >> Ummmm....so let me get this right: Mr. Hobbs WAS a private and when I met him he was a CAPTAIN and then he retired and became an HONORARY LIEUTENANT COLONEL and then he got an appointment as a MAJOR but he'll be wearing the uniform of a CAPTAIN .....I'M SO CONFUSED!?!

                            All joking aside, I cannot think of a more refined and knowledgeable re-enactor for the job .

                            Kevin
                            Royal Scots Grens

                          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                              In a message dated 4/3/2009 4:00:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              ray.hobbs@... writes:

                              I have a copy of a miniature of Frederick Bligh of
                              the 41st, who retired in 1856 with the rank of Captain (Brevet Major).
                              In the painting he is wearing the collar badges of rank of a Lieutenant
                              Colonel. Go figure.

                              ------------

                              Ah Ray, this is one I can tell you about. Collar rank was very strange in
                              that, with only two badges to use, in order to determine rank one must also look
                              at the gold lace edging of the collar. All collars were laced around the
                              front and collar but field officers also had lace on the bottom of the collar so
                              junior officers, with no lace on the bottom:
                              Ensign/ 2nd Lt. a single Bath star (pip)
                              Lieutenant a single crown
                              Captain a star and crown

                              Field officers, with lace at the bottom of the collar:
                              Major a single Bath star (pip)
                              Lt. Colonel a single crown
                              Colonel a star and crown

                              So he is probably corectly badged for a captain. It was only when the rank
                              badges were moved to the shoulder straps/cords that 3 'pips' became the badges
                              for a captain.

                              The other situation seems most strange although if Shortt had a higher army
                              rank than his regimental rank he would certainly be allowed to wear that rank
                              with his regimentals.
                              Another posibility is that if he reached that rank later in life he might
                              have had the artist go back and 'update' his picture. I have seen this done on
                              the portrait of the French General Rapp in the museum at Colmar. He is
                              depicted in the late revolutionary/early Imperial generals uniform with red collar
                              and cuffs but has all of his orders and decorations including those of
                              Royalist France post 1815!

                              Have you had a look at the picture under a black light?

                              Cheers,

                              Tim

                              **************Hurry! April 15th is almost here. File your Federal taxes FREE
                              with TaxACT.
                              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220714320x1201367638/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.taxact.com%2F08tax.asp%3Fsc%3D084102950001%26p%3D82)

                            • Ray Hobbs
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                                Ah, Kevin. Let me wade into this confusion.

                                As Captain I held a substantive rank, i.e. at the time I would have
                                been "gazetted". That means the rank would have been recognised by
                                Horse Guards and published. It would have been recognised by both the
                                Regiment, and HG. My command would have been a company within the
                                regiment.
                                Upon retirement from said position, I was granted the signal honour
                                (note the word) of being appointed, by the 41st MLHG, as Honorary
                                Colonel. It is purely an advisory role, and was a flattering
                                recognition of my contribution to the 41st. I could swan around in my
                                new epaulettes, and be completely ignored by the rank and file. Captain
                                Fournier is their CO, and I would not assume to command the regiment on
                                the field.
                                Having retired from field command, I would technically be said to have
                                been a half-pay captain.
                                Now, having been called out of retirement to serve as Col. Williams'
                                AdC, I have been granted the army rank of Major. Whether the 41st
                                recognise that rank or not within their structure is entirely their
                                decision. But I have it on the highest authority that my honorary rank
                                still holds.
                                I will note that during the War of 1812, William Shortt held two ranks
                                - Captain (Regimental) and Lieutenant Colonel (Army).
                                Just to confuse the issue, in the Canadas during the War of 1812 there
                                was the practice of "local rank" in which a regular army captain
                                automatically outranked a local militia officer when serving in that
                                militia officer's county. Captain (Brevet Major) Adam Muir of the 41st
                                held for a brief time the rank of Lieutenant Colonel when commanding
                                some militia units. As soon as he returned to his HQ or regular
                                posting, the rank was removed. For these local ranks there was no
                                increase in pay.
                                Just to confuse matters even further, badges of rank were, shall we
                                say, interesting. I have a copy of a miniature of Frederick Bligh of
                                the 41st, who retired in 1856 with the rank of Captain (Brevet Major).
                                In the painting he is wearing the collar badges of rank of a Lieutenant
                                Colonel. Go figure.
                                I also have a copy of a painting of William Shortt, wearing a uniform
                                of the 24th Foot, just before he transferred to the 41st - he is
                                wearing a major's epaulettes. This is a rank he never held in either
                                regiment. Again, go figure.
                                Now, I am sure you are still confused - but at a much higher level. :-)

                                But seriously folks (ugh!) - thank you all who have offered
                                congratulations.
                                Yr Humble and Obdt Svt
                                Ray H

                                On 3-Apr-09, at 3:11 PM, Kevin Garrett wrote:

                                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:
                                > >
                                > > <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a
                                > private > and> me a lowly corporal!>>
                                >

                                > > You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the
                                > rankers will
                                > > never do!
                                > >
                                > >> Ummmm....so let me get this right: Mr. Hobbs WAS a private and
                                > when I met him he was a CAPTAIN and then he retired and became an
                                > HONORARY LIEUTENANT COLONEL and then he got an appointment as a MAJOR
                                > but he'll be wearing the uniform of a CAPTAIN .....I'M SO CONFUSED!?!
                                >
                                > All joking aside, I cannot think of a more refined and knowledgeable
                                > re-enactor for the job .
                                >
                                > Kevin
                                > Royal Scots Grens

                              • Kevin Garrett
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 4, 2009
                                  > > re-enactor for the job .

                                  Dear CaptainColonelMajorCaptain Hobbs AdeC,

                                  >>Thank you Sir for elucidating the fuzzification!

                                  See what I mean about him being knowledgeable, folks?

                                  Kevin
                                  MCpl '76/Capt '89/A/Maj '03/ Ret'd '06 CF Reserve
                                  Playing a grunt Infantry Pioneer and Haberdasher to those of refined taste.
                                  Royal Scots Grens