Re: [WarOf1812] Announcement

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 5, 2005
      Congratulations Captain Hobbs! Welcome to the easy life! ;-)
      As Allison is fond of telling me..."You could have just said no!"

      Kevin
      89th

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 5, 2005
        Ray, congratulations. From the sounds of it, your tailor and hatter
        must be smiling as well! :-)

        Dave W.
        5th Reg't, Maryland Militia

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
        > List:
        > It has already happened, and the uniform has been "aired" at
        Longwoods
        > and Stoney Creek, but the preparatory days of the Crown Forces
        Grand
        > Tactical seems like a good time to announce officially that I shall
        be
        > henceforth wearing the uniform of a Captain of His Britannic
        Majesty's
        > Forty First Regiment of Foot, effective immediately.
        >
        > The commission of "Captain in the Regiment" was by purchase - think
        of
        > the current cost of superfine wool, silver lace, silver buttons,
        gilded
        > sword, cocked hat, marquee and furnishings, etc, etc, etc.!! :-)
        >
        > As with many units in the hobby, the 41st continues to grow, and
        for
        > this we are grateful. Perhaps in the not-too-distant-future we
        shall
        > not only add to the ranks of musketmen, but also to the Officer
        Corps.

        > I remain
        > Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant
        > Ray Hobbs
        > Captain
        > 41st Regt.
      • lalozon
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 5, 2005
          From: "JOHN GREIG" <je.greig@...>

          Congratualtions Mr. Hobbs.
          How did a humble Private get the cash to purchase a Commission?

          = = = =

          Private Greig, IXth Foot

          I do believe that Mr Hobbs has been a Sergeant and not a humble
          Private

          Also, he has friends at Horse Guards and the General and Brigadier
          General, (Crown Forces North America) knows him by name

          He is never seen in public in his shirt sleeves ... thus he must be
          a Gentleman and worthy of the Commission

          Congratulations Cap'n Hobbs ... a round of Claret in the Officer's Mess for
          Mr. Hobbs!

          Yrs,

          L2
        • Peter Monahan
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 5, 2005
            Captain Hobbs

            On behalf of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, congratulations on a well deserved promotion! We look forward to envying your "marquis, etc, etc, etc"

            Monahan, Sgt
            RNR (Bulger's Coy)

            From: JOHN GREIG <je.greig@...>
            Date: 2005/07/05 Tue AM 01:56:01 EST
            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Announcement

            Congratualtions Mr. Hobbs.

            How did a humble Private get the cash to purchase a Commission?

            Private John Greig
            Gentleman Volunteer.
            HM IXth Regiment of Foot.

            ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:
            seems like a good time to announce officially that I shall be
            henceforth wearing the uniform of a Captain of His Britannic Majesty's
            Forty First Regiment of Foot, effective immediately.

            The commission of "Captain in the Regiment" was by purchase -

            Peter Monahan
            petermonahan@...
            705-435-0953 home
          • david webb
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2005
              Good Morning Upper Canada!

              Things are really coming together for the Fort George event. Our general
              works crew has been building bridges, knocking holes in the palisade, and
              topping off our fire extinguishers. I have not told them about the Trojan
              rabbit yet , but they should be able to build that next week. They have
              already filed a grievance regarding Fort Niagara's elephants and resulting
              turf damage.

              More seriously, I have contacted the Canadian Customs people to confirm
              details, especially in the aftermath of yesterday's tragic events in
              London. They have confirmed that there will be no change for event
              participants. They have been extremely helpful in all of our dealings, and
              are working with us to make this event happen. My letter to Customs has
              been sent to each bridge. Fact sheets on flintlocks, cannon, horses, and
              black powder have been sent out as well. For people entering Canada with
              black powder, you can bring up to 8kg or 18 pounds (their figures) per
              person. This information has been sent to the bridges too. I would
              recommend that people bring enough for the event, but not plan on bringing
              lots of powder back into the USA. Store weapons and powder in a secure
              manner. Flintlock or other pistols should not be brought to the event. You
              should also ensure that you bring birth certificates and photo ID. And
              remember to be clear and courteous with these people. I bet their sense of
              humour is pretty limited these days. Passports are not specifically
              required for US citizens. I will be touching base with US authorities as
              well, but I want to see how events develop over the next day or so. Right
              now the security concern is with mass transit. At most, there may by random
              checks for vehicles leaving the USA, so a copy of the invitation letter
              would be very useful. If you do encounter a significant problem at Canada
              or US Customs, I will be at Navy Hall from noon onwards on Friday, or
              within reach of radio. The phone number there is (905) 468-6608. Our
              visitor center number is (905) 468-6614.

              We have gone through our registrations and it looks like we will have a
              great event. I sent our email confirmations yesterday. If you have not
              heard from me, it might be worth sending an email to check. We are placing
              our food orders today, so it is really important that units and individuals
              who have not yet contacted me do so. Please email me at
              work: david.webb@...
              I scanned Kevin Windsor's list, and have nothing from the British 8th,
              Royal Marines, and some Crown Forces staff conspicuous by their
              absence. You can also email me at work or home with questions. You can
              still register for the event, but if we do not know you are coming, we
              might not be able to feed you.
              I have placed an initial order for the chicken dinner for Saturday
              evening. I still have flexibility but I have to place my final order first
              thing on Wednesday.
              I would be remiss not to recognize and thank all of those who have
              helped pull this event together and have volunteered their time to
              help. The British and US command, the School of the Sailor organizers, and
              those who have offered to help with the camp layout and setup. I really
              must single out Vic Suthren, who has been absolutely tireless and Betsy
              Bashore and Kevin Windsor who have polled the community and set up the
              event website. This is in no way "my" event, but will be something we will
              all be proud of. Hats off to you all!
              I look forward to seeing you at Fort George
              >David Webb

              >of square miles...

            • Craig Williams
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                April 1, 2009

                With permission of Brig. Gen. Twist,

                I would like to forward the following announcement to the members of
                the Crown Forces and the reenactment community of the North American
                War (1812).

                Effective immediately, Ray Hobbs, Hon. Col. 41st, (having stepped
                down from active field command in the same regiment),
                has agreed to take on the duties and responsibilities of Aide de
                Camp, (with the Army rank of Major), to Lt. Col. Williams.
              • peter monahan
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                  Mr. Hobbs,

                  Would that I were able to say "Let me be the first to congratulate you!" but, alas the best I can do is to be the sixth or seventh to do so. Neverthelesss, my feelings are sincere and deeply held. I should also take the oppurtuinity to tell you, should you not be aware of it, how lucky you are to work with that epitome of military virtue, the brave, the able, the modest Colonel Williams.

                  Yr most obedient, sir

                  Sergeant Major Toady

                  PS: will you be joing us at the NCO School, ABOUT WHICH WE HAVE HEARD SO MUCH of late? :7)
                • Victor Suthren
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                    Mr Hobbs and Mr Williams are very fine men indeed. It's a pleasure to share a hobby with them.

                    Vic Suthren

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                      How passive agressive of you! Should you not already be at the fort waiting for the men to get there so you can tell them how late they really are!!

                      KW

                      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                        Congratulations Major Hobbs!!

                        Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private and
                        me a lowly corporal!

                        KW

                        89th

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                          Aye but it's an even greater pleasure to share a dram wi' them!  :)
                          I add my congratulations to the list, Sir.

                          Hal Dennison
                          1-800-385-9630
                          www.JustDreamLife.com

                          I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from home.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                            In a message dated 4/2/2009 5:32:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                            kevin.windsor@... writes:

                            <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private
                            and
                            me a lowly corporal!>>
                            Now Kevin,

                            You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the rankers will
                            never do!

                            JG/RE

                            **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

                          • Kevin Garrett
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                              > <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private > and> me a lowly corporal!>>

                              > You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the rankers will
                              > never do!
                              >
                              >> Ummmm....so let me get this right: Mr. Hobbs WAS a private and when I met him he was a CAPTAIN and then he retired and became an HONORARY LIEUTENANT COLONEL and then he got an appointment as a MAJOR but he'll be wearing the uniform of a CAPTAIN .....I'M SO CONFUSED!?!

                              All joking aside, I cannot think of a more refined and knowledgeable re-enactor for the job .

                              Kevin
                              Royal Scots Grens

                            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                                In a message dated 4/3/2009 4:00:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                ray.hobbs@... writes:

                                I have a copy of a miniature of Frederick Bligh of
                                the 41st, who retired in 1856 with the rank of Captain (Brevet Major).
                                In the painting he is wearing the collar badges of rank of a Lieutenant
                                Colonel. Go figure.

                                ------------

                                Ah Ray, this is one I can tell you about. Collar rank was very strange in
                                that, with only two badges to use, in order to determine rank one must also look
                                at the gold lace edging of the collar. All collars were laced around the
                                front and collar but field officers also had lace on the bottom of the collar so
                                junior officers, with no lace on the bottom:
                                Ensign/ 2nd Lt. a single Bath star (pip)
                                Lieutenant a single crown
                                Captain a star and crown

                                Field officers, with lace at the bottom of the collar:
                                Major a single Bath star (pip)
                                Lt. Colonel a single crown
                                Colonel a star and crown

                                So he is probably corectly badged for a captain. It was only when the rank
                                badges were moved to the shoulder straps/cords that 3 'pips' became the badges
                                for a captain.

                                The other situation seems most strange although if Shortt had a higher army
                                rank than his regimental rank he would certainly be allowed to wear that rank
                                with his regimentals.
                                Another posibility is that if he reached that rank later in life he might
                                have had the artist go back and 'update' his picture. I have seen this done on
                                the portrait of the French General Rapp in the museum at Colmar. He is
                                depicted in the late revolutionary/early Imperial generals uniform with red collar
                                and cuffs but has all of his orders and decorations including those of
                                Royalist France post 1815!

                                Have you had a look at the picture under a black light?

                                Cheers,

                                Tim

                                **************Hurry! April 15th is almost here. File your Federal taxes FREE
                                with TaxACT.
                                (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220714320x1201367638/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.taxact.com%2F08tax.asp%3Fsc%3D084102950001%26p%3D82)

                              • Ray Hobbs
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                                  Ah, Kevin. Let me wade into this confusion.

                                  As Captain I held a substantive rank, i.e. at the time I would have
                                  been "gazetted". That means the rank would have been recognised by
                                  Horse Guards and published. It would have been recognised by both the
                                  Regiment, and HG. My command would have been a company within the
                                  regiment.
                                  Upon retirement from said position, I was granted the signal honour
                                  (note the word) of being appointed, by the 41st MLHG, as Honorary
                                  Colonel. It is purely an advisory role, and was a flattering
                                  recognition of my contribution to the 41st. I could swan around in my
                                  new epaulettes, and be completely ignored by the rank and file. Captain
                                  Fournier is their CO, and I would not assume to command the regiment on
                                  the field.
                                  Having retired from field command, I would technically be said to have
                                  been a half-pay captain.
                                  Now, having been called out of retirement to serve as Col. Williams'
                                  AdC, I have been granted the army rank of Major. Whether the 41st
                                  recognise that rank or not within their structure is entirely their
                                  decision. But I have it on the highest authority that my honorary rank
                                  still holds.
                                  I will note that during the War of 1812, William Shortt held two ranks
                                  - Captain (Regimental) and Lieutenant Colonel (Army).
                                  Just to confuse the issue, in the Canadas during the War of 1812 there
                                  was the practice of "local rank" in which a regular army captain
                                  automatically outranked a local militia officer when serving in that
                                  militia officer's county. Captain (Brevet Major) Adam Muir of the 41st
                                  held for a brief time the rank of Lieutenant Colonel when commanding
                                  some militia units. As soon as he returned to his HQ or regular
                                  posting, the rank was removed. For these local ranks there was no
                                  increase in pay.
                                  Just to confuse matters even further, badges of rank were, shall we
                                  say, interesting. I have a copy of a miniature of Frederick Bligh of
                                  the 41st, who retired in 1856 with the rank of Captain (Brevet Major).
                                  In the painting he is wearing the collar badges of rank of a Lieutenant
                                  Colonel. Go figure.
                                  I also have a copy of a painting of William Shortt, wearing a uniform
                                  of the 24th Foot, just before he transferred to the 41st - he is
                                  wearing a major's epaulettes. This is a rank he never held in either
                                  regiment. Again, go figure.
                                  Now, I am sure you are still confused - but at a much higher level. :-)

                                  But seriously folks (ugh!) - thank you all who have offered
                                  congratulations.
                                  Yr Humble and Obdt Svt
                                  Ray H

                                  On 3-Apr-09, at 3:11 PM, Kevin Garrett wrote:

                                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a
                                  > private > and> me a lowly corporal!>>
                                  >

                                  > > You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the
                                  > rankers will
                                  > > never do!
                                  > >
                                  > >> Ummmm....so let me get this right: Mr. Hobbs WAS a private and
                                  > when I met him he was a CAPTAIN and then he retired and became an
                                  > HONORARY LIEUTENANT COLONEL and then he got an appointment as a MAJOR
                                  > but he'll be wearing the uniform of a CAPTAIN .....I'M SO CONFUSED!?!
                                  >
                                  > All joking aside, I cannot think of a more refined and knowledgeable
                                  > re-enactor for the job .
                                  >
                                  > Kevin
                                  > Royal Scots Grens

                                • Kevin Garrett
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 4, 2009
                                    > > re-enactor for the job .

                                    Dear CaptainColonelMajorCaptain Hobbs AdeC,

                                    >>Thank you Sir for elucidating the fuzzification!

                                    See what I mean about him being knowledgeable, folks?

                                    Kevin
                                    MCpl '76/Capt '89/A/Maj '03/ Ret'd '06 CF Reserve
                                    Playing a grunt Infantry Pioneer and Haberdasher to those of refined taste.
                                    Royal Scots Grens