Canadians in American forces during War

  • natty10000
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2005
      First off, happy Independence Day to the damn Yanks on the list. :)

      Secondly, on another list I'm on, someone posits that something on the
      order of 20% of American troops during the War were actually Canadian.
      Aside from Willcocks' Canadian Volunteers (which clearly weren't
      anywhere near 20% of anything), any truth to the rumour? Or if not,
      what would have been a more likely percentage.

      TIA
    • mccombs98
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2005
        Seems kinda high to me, though there were 10,000 Canadian refugees
        signed up at Batavia NY in 1818 (ref: Congressional record). In their
        three day debate over this Canadian Refugee/Volunteer issue, the
        Congress was surprised by that number as well. Land Warrants were
        issued to those who could prove they bore arms or other service.
        (interesting to note that this debate reversed a previous Congressional
        decision NOT to provide Land Grants to US service men from the war).
        Murray

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "natty10000" <willcocks@r...> wrote:
        > First off, happy Independence Day to the damn Yanks on the list. :)
        >
        > Secondly, on another list I'm on, someone posits that something on the
        > order of 20% of American troops during the War were actually Canadian.
        > Aside from Willcocks' Canadian Volunteers (which clearly weren't
        > anywhere near 20% of anything), any truth to the rumour? Or if not,
        > what would have been a more likely percentage.
        >
        > TIA
      • ray hobbs
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2005
          The problem is that the definition of "Canadian" is fuzzy at this time.
          In most British first-hand literature from the war it refers to French
          Canadian (see Le Couteur's Journal).
          All other inhabitants of the Provinces of Upper and Lower Canada were,
          strictly-speaking, subjects of the King, if they had taken the oath of
          loyalty. The notion of citizens of a state had not become part of the
          British scene - it was regarded as dangerously revolutionary.
          Many had taken the oath of loyalty because of their 'refugee' status
          from the War of Independence; many had done this in the early 19th
          century because of the offer of land. So-called 'economic loyalists'.

          Within the British military command - an imposed structure from 'over
          'ome' - there was generally a great suspicion of settlers from America,
          whether earlier or later loyalists. As many documents indicate, many of
          them regarded themselves as "American". This caused great consternation
          for Brock, for example. He even regarded Methodism, the dominant non-RC
          religion, as American in origin and ethos, and therefore dangerous. I
          believe his exact words were "dangerous for public safety".

          So, exactly how many of these American-origin, settlers in Canada
          actually went back and fought on the US side is almost impossible to
          know. Reading through some militia muster rolls, one can occasionally
          find references to desertion to the enemy, but whether this gives the
          full picture is difficult to say.

          My two cent's worth
          Ray Hobbs
          41st Foot

          On Monday, July 4, 2005, at 10:22 AM, natty10000 wrote:

          > First off, happy Independence Day to the damn Yanks on the list. :)
          >
          > Secondly, on another list I'm on, someone posits that something on the
          > order of 20% of American troops during the War were actually Canadian.
          > Aside from Willcocks' Canadian Volunteers (which clearly weren't
          > anywhere near 20% of anything), any truth to the rumour? Or if not,
          > what would have been a more likely percentage.
          >
          > TIA

          > THOUSANDS of square miles...

          >    ---------------------------------
          > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          >
          > American Forces Unit Listing
          > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          <image.tiff>

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > +  Visit your group "WarOf1812" on the web.

          <image.tiff>

        • PETER CATLEY
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2005
            For those who were asking a few says ago for pictures
            from the Allied side this site may help :-)

            http://www.95thrifles.com/95th-home/photo-gallery/latest-gallery/waterloo/.

            Cheers

            P**
          • PEGGY MATHEWS
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2005
              Wow... just... wow...
              For those who were asking a few says ago for pictures
              from the Allied side this site may help :-)

              http://www.95thrifles.com/95th-home/photo-gallery/latest-gallery/waterloo/<http://www.95thrifles.com/95th-home/photo-gallery/latest-gallery/waterloo/>.

              Cheers

              P**

            • Peter Catley
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
                dank u wel!

                For those who were asking a few says ago for pictures
                from the Allied side this site may help :-)

                http://www.95thrifles.com/95th-home/photo-gallery/latest-gallery/waterloo/<h
                ttp://www.95thrifles.com/95th-home/photo-gallery/latest-gallery/waterloo/>.

                Cheers

                P**

                square miles...

                square miles...

                ---------------------------------
                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                American Forces Unit Listing
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "WarOf1812
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812> " on the web.

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                _____

              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
                  In a message dated 4/07/2005 8:26:21 AM, peter.catley@... writes:
                  > For those who were asking a few says ago for pictures
                  > from the Allied side this site may help :-)
                  >
                  > http://www.95thrifles.com/95th-home/photo-gallery/latest-gallery/waterloo/.

                  I have received the below email, which indicates many more pix yet to come!

                  >>I know I'm sorry, you've been waiting for 2 weeks to see something....well
                  here
                  is a little something which will be of interest to you personally.

                  http://www.thomason-photography.net/individuals/index.html

                  If you know someone on this site, please forward the link.....they will
                  appreciate it. :-))

                  Today I am launching the new thomason-photography.net website with Plancenoit
                  2005 as the Star of the show. Please feel free to bookmark this link, and
                  return
                  regularly during the next few weeks, as I slowly but surely get the time to
                  publish some of over 1000 stock images of Plancenoit 2005.
                  I am looking at thematic sub-sites for Infantry, Cavalry, Guns, Pipes and
                  Drums
                  and of course the Individuals.

                  http://www.thomason-photography.net/

                  There is also a PR site, which is being looked at by the right people for the
                  right reasons.<<

                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  93rdhighlanders.com
                  THE Thin Red Line

                • Phil Graf
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
                    Those photos are quite good! On a related note, would anyone happen to know how to make those shoulder wings seen on some of the artillerymen on the first few pages?

                    Phil G.