RE: [WarOf1812] HMS Nancy & Wasaga under Siege

  • Angela Gottfred
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2005
      Thank you very much, David, for that wonderful history of the Nancy. If I may,
      I'd like to add three notes.

      First, the "North West Fur Company" which owned the Nancy before the war, is
      much better-known as the North West Company (NWC), the primary competition to
      the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) for nearly fifty years, and one of the reasons
      that Western Canada is *not* the Western U.S. (Something about the work of a few
      NWC chaps with sextants and birchbark canoes...)

      Second, folks interested in reading Capt. Mackintosh's log of the Nancy, from 24
      July 1813 to 30 March 1814 (and provisions lists from 1811 to 1813), can see it
      online at the website devoted to the North West Company and the fur trade in
      Canada, _In Pursuit of Adventure_:
      http://132.206.203.207/nwc/data/Mftp/0039/5_tei2web/Pg001.html

      And thirdly, the Nancy's story made a darn fine Stan Rogers song.
      http://www.stanrogers.net/songs/tn-sng.html

      Your humble & obedient servant,
      Angela Gottfred
      www.northwestjournal.ca