Re: HMS Nancy

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2005
      http://132.206.203.207/nwc/toolbar_1.htm

      Try going to manuscripts, then browse by title, and you can find the
      same (or similar) as an online resource.

      Tom Fournier
      41st Regiment

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Peter Monahan <petemonahan@s...>
      wrote:
      > If anyone is interested, parts of the Nancy's log have been
      published and are available from many public libraries. I believe
      the title is "War Log of the Schooner Nancy".

      > Peter Monahan
      > From: "DAVID BRUNELLE" <davidbrunelle@r...>
      > Date: 2005/07/02 Sat PM 12:42:51 EST
      > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] HMS Nancy & Wasaga under Siege
      >
      > Dear Kevin & List,
      >
      > Thanks for bringing up the article about the history of H.M.S.
      Nancy and
      > her crew as well as Wasaga under Siege 2005 taking place July 22nd
      to the
      > 24th in Wasaga Beach, Ontario, the weekend following the Grand
      Tactical at
      > Fort George. As usual the media manipulated some of the facts
      regarding the
      > history of the battles and events leading up to the capture of the
      U.S.S.
      > Scorpion and Tigress. I have taken the liberty to post a brief but
      accurate
      > account of the events surrounding HMS Nancy and her crew. Also,
      just to let
      > you know, that the ships bells that were aboard the Tigress and
      Scorpion
      > when captured were eventually donated in the mid-1840's to two local
      > churches in Penetanguishene where one is still in use and the other
      was
      > retired just three years ago and now sits on display in St. Ann's
      Roman
      > Catholic Church. The other one was donated to the Anglican Church
      St. James
      > on the line the first church built in Penetanguishene to serve the
      garrison
      > stationed here. Not too many people including locals would ever
      guess that
      > captured United States of America prizes of the War of 1812 are
      part of the
      > history of Penetanguishene and two local churches of worship. The
      Tigress
      > and Scorpion were eventually stationed in ordinary in
      Penetanguishene in
      > 1817 and renamed the Confiance and Surprise and eventually sunk to
      the
      > bottom of the bay due to ill-repair in the early 1830's. I look
      forward to
      > seeing everyone at Wasaga under Siege and encourage you to visit
      our website
      > at www.wasagaundersiege1812.com for more information on the event
      and the
      > history of HMS Nancy. If you have any questions for me please do
      not
      > hesitate to ask!!
      >
      > Thanks again Kevin for promoting Wasaga under Siege 2005 and the
      history of
      > HMS Nancy!!
      >
      > This is the story of the Nancy, a Schooner which sailed
      the
      > Upper Great Lakes as a private cargo vessel. During the war of
      1812, the
      > Nancy was pressed into service as a British supply ship. While in
      this
      > service, the schooner was destroyed in the Nottawasaga River by
      American
      > Forces.
      >
      > The sunken hull of the Nancy formed an obstruction in
      the river
      > and an island was establishes by the resultant deposition of silt.
      The
      > remains of the hull now rest in a museum on the island to mark the
      site of
      > the Nancy's demise and to commemorate her gallant defence.
      >

      > The Beginning
      >
      > The Nancy was built in 1789 at Detroit which was at that time
      British
      > soil. The construction of the Schooner was under the supervision of
      John
      > Richardson of Forsayth, Richardson and Company of Montreal. There
      were
      > probably no plans, but it has been determined that her length was
      > approximately 80 feet, her width, or beam, 22 feet, and her depth
      of hold,
      > eight feet. John Richardson wrote to his partner from Detroit in
      1789:

      > "The schooner will be a perfect masterpiece of workmanship
      and beauty.
      > The expense to us will be great, but there will be the satisfaction
      of her
      > being strong and very durable. Her floor-timbers, keel, keel-son,
      stem and
      > lower futtocks are oak. The transom, stern-post, upper futtocks,
      > top-timbers, beams and knees are all red cedar. She will carry 350
      barrels."

      > Her figure-head, carved by Skelling of New York, was "a
      lady
      > dressed In the present fashion with a hat and feather." The Nancy
      was
      > probably named for either the wife or daughter of John Richardson.
      >
      > The schooner was built for the fur trade which she
      served by
      > carrying goods including food, clothing, rum, meat, powder,
      blankets, tools,
      > trinkets, weapons and ammunition up the lakes and then returning
      with furs.
      > At this time, there were two main ports in the West. Sault Ste.
      Marie
      > governed access to Lake Superior and the North. Further west, in
      the Straits
      > of Mackinaw, Fort Michilimackinac was a trading post, which
      commanded Lake
      > Huron, Lake Michigan and the West. This was the center of activity
      in the
      > northerly Great Lakes and the Northwest. It had been maintained by
      the
      > French as early as 1687, but the British, in 1761, had been the
      first to
      > build proper fortifications.
      >

      > The launching of the Nancy took place at Detroit on November
      24, 1789
      > and in the following spring, under the command of Captain William
      Mills, her
      > maiden voyage took her to Fort Erie. After the launching, John
      Richardson
      > wrote:
      >
      > "She is spoken of here in such high strain of encomium as to
      beauty,
      > stowage and sailing that she almost exceeds my expectations."
      >
      > In June, 1790, the Nancy took a full cargo to Grand Portage
      at Sault
      > Ste. Marie. In 1793, the schooner was sold to George Leith and
      Company,
      > merchants and fur traders, who toward the end of the century sold
      hereto the
      > North West Fur Company. Captain Mills continued as commander until
      1805 when
      > he was succeeded by Captain Alexander Mackintosh. In the service of
      the
      > North West Fur Company, the Nancy's function remained that of a
      transport
      > for fur and merchandise on Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
      >
      > War
      >

      > When the United States declared war in 1812 against
      Britain, the
      > Nancy was lying at Macintosh's wharf at Moy (Windsor) across from
      Detroit,
      > which had been handed over to the United States in 1796. The Nancy,
      for
      > protection, was immediately moved to Amherstburg and was
      requisitioned as a
      > British transport by Lieutenant-Colonel St. George, commander of the
      > garrison.
      >
      > In Colonel Matthews Wlliot's inventory to General Isaac
      Brock,
      > the Nancy was described as being capable of mounting six four- pound
      > carriage guns and six swivel guns.
      >

      > At this time there were three main routes from Montreal
      to the
      > Northwest. One was via the Ottawa and French Rivers and Georgian
      Bay.
      > Another was by way of Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair and
      Lake
      > Huron. A third was an overland route from Lake Ontario at York
      (Toronto)
      > north on Yonge Street to Holland Landing and the Holland River.
      From here,
      > the route entered Lake Simcoe and led to the head of Kempenfelt Bay
      (Barrie)
      > where Nine Mile Portage led to Willow Creek, the Nottawasaga River
      and Lake
      > Huron. The latter route became the main supply line during the last
      year of
      > the war.
      >

      > The Nancy's first war service took her, on July 30, 1812 to
      Fort Erie
      > in convoy with the Provincial Schooner Lady Prevost for military
      stores and
      > 60 men of the 41st Regiment which participated in Brock's capture
      of Detroit
      > from General Hull. During the summer, and early autumn, the Nancy
      was
      > employed constantly on Lake Erie between Detroit and Fort Erie in
      the
      > transportation of stores and provisions.
      >
      > On April 23, 1813 the Nancy was included in a small squadron
      > transport General Proctor's division from Amherstburg to Miami Bay
      for the
      > unsuccessful attack on Fort Meigs. In the autumn, while the Nancy
      was away
      > on a trip to Fort Michilimackinac, the British Fleet, on September
      9, 1813
      > was decisively defeated in the Battle of Lake Erie and left Nancy
      as the
      > sole surviving British ship on the Upper Lakes.
      >
      > The Nancy Escapes
      >

      > Returning in the Nancy to the mouth of the St. Clair
      River on
      > October 5, Captain Mackintosh found Detroit and Amherstburg in
      American
      > hands, two armed schooners and a gunboat lying in wait for him. At
      noon, on
      > the following day, the Nancy was under attack. Despite some damage
      from the
      > battering, she survived to escape into Lake Huron. By October 7,
      Mackintosh
      > had her under sail to Sault Ste. Marie, where she wintered and was
      refitted.

      > After the Battle of Lake Erie, the Americans planned to
      capture
      > Fort Michilimackinac, which they had lost on July 17, 1812. The
      Fort, with
      > no naval defences, required reinforcements and in February 1814,
      McDougall's
      > relief party of 10 officers, 220 infantry and artillerymen, and 20
      seamen
      > left Kingston for the Fort. They arrived, via the Lake Simcoe and
      > Nottawasaga River route, on May 18. To aid in the defence of Fort
      > Michilimackinac, it was planned to cut down the Nancy to a gunboat.
      This
      > idea was discarded, however, and the British schooner continued as a
      > transport. During that spring, the Nancy made three round trips
      from the
      > Fort to the mouth of the Nottawasaga River for supplies.
      >

      > While the Nancy was away on the fourth trip to the
      Nottawasaga supply
      > base, the American Fleet left Detroit on July 3, 1814 for the
      attack on Fort
      > Michilimackinac. At the Nottawasaga base, the Nancy was taken in
      charge by
      > Lieutenant Miller Worsley, Royal Navy, and taken two miles up the
      river.
      > Here, quietly hidden and protected by a blockhouse, the Nancy
      waited.

      > Discovery
      >
      > On August 14, three American ships, Niagara, Tigress and
      Scorpion,
      > under the command of Captain Sinclair, arrived at the mouth of the
      > Nottawasaga River to wait for the British schooner which was
      thought to be
      > on route from Fort Michilimackinac. It was only when wood gathering
      parties
      > from the American ships happened upon the Nancy's hiding place that
      the
      > secret was discovered.
      >
      > The engagement was brief and decisive. Lieutenant Worsley's
      force
      > consisted of 22 seamen and 23 Indians under the command of
      Lieutenant Ramsay
      > Livingston, and nine French Canadian Voyageurs. Their armament was
      composed
      > of two 24-pounder charades and one six-pounded. The American force
      of three
      > ships, and 500 men armed with 18 32-pounder carronades, three long
      > 12-pounders, two 24-pounders and one 5.5 inch howitzer provided
      formidable
      > odds. Captain Sinclair anchored his ships in the Bay and proceeded
      to pound
      > the Nancy and the blockhouse across the narrow neck of land, which
      separated
      > the river from the bay.
      >
      > The situation was hopeless. Lieutenant Worsley decided to
      destroy the
      > Nancy rather than allow her to fall into enemy hands. During the
      > preparations for blowing up the schooner, however, a direct hit on
      the
      > blockhouse set the Nancy afire. She burned to the waterline and
      sank. The
      > British force escaped into the forest where they were not pursued.
      >
      > After the action, the Scorpion and Tigress were left to guard
      the
      > river to prevent canoes and bateaux from getting supplies to Fort
      > Michilimackinac. Eventually the river mouth was blocked with felled
      trees
      > and the ships proceeded along the north shore in the hope of
      intercepting
      > fur-laden canoes on the lake.
      >
      > The Nancy Avenged
      >
      > On August 31, Worsley and his men, after paddling and rowing
      for 360
      > miles, reached Michilimackinac. En route, they had quietly bypassed
      the
      > Tigress and Scorpion. On September 3, Worsley and 92 men in four
      rowboats
      > returned to surprise and capture the Tigress at midnight in Detour
      Passage.
      > On the following day, the Scorpion was lured into position and also
      > captured. Both vessels were then taken to Fort Michilimackinac. The
      Scorpion
      > was renamed Confiance in honour of the ship which was captured from
      the
      > French by Commodore Sir James Lucas Yeo. The Tigress was renamed
      Surprise
      > for the manner in which she was captured.
      >
      > After the war, for the loss of the Nancy, the Admiral awarded
      the
      > North West Fur Company 2,200 pounds. In addition, for two
      roundtrips between
      > Detroit and Fort Erie in 1812, there was an award of 500 pounds and
      for
      > service in 1813 and 1814, 1,243 pounds, 5 shillings.
      >
      > Nancy Island
      >

      > Gradually, the river currents deposited silt about the
      sunken
      > hull and an island was formed. On July 1, 1911, Mr. C.J.H. Snider
      found the
      > location of the hull which was just visible beneath the water and
      it was not
      > until August 1924 when an American 24-pounder round shot was found
      in the
      > riverbank by Dr. F.J. Conboy that interest was renewed. During the
      summer of
      > 1925 the long-covered hull was found by Dr. Conboy whose interest
      in the
      > Nancy had been aroused by Mr. Snider.
      >
      > The Dominion and Provincial Governments and many
      individuals
      > became interested in the historic site, and in 1928 the hull was
      raised and
      > placed on the island. On August 14, 1928, 114 years after the
      gallant
      > defence of the Nancy, the Nancy Museum was officially opened to
      commemorate
      > this episode in the war of 1812.

      fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...