back from the real war

  • John Van Sickle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2005
      Greetings group,

      Just returned from the "big sandbox" across the water. Just saying
      hello and trying to contact former reenacting units. I'm looking for
      contact info for Paul Schultz of the 4th US, anyone of 1st Mich
      Militia, or Rob and Betsy. I'm also looking for any militia units in
      Ohio/ SE Mich. After being shot at, rocketted, and mortared for the
      past year, I'm not sure I want to be looking down a muzzle so soon,
      but might be interested in finding a unit local to Cleveland and stay
      on the "education" side of the fence at events.

      Take Care,
      John Van Sickle
    • Robert White
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2005
        Welcome home Mr. Van Sickle. Thanks for your service. You and yours are making a difference in this world. Bob White, Pvt. USS COnstitution - Sgt. USMC 1961-67.

        John Van Sickle <american_legacies@...> wrote:Greetings group,

        Just returned from the "big sandbox" across the water. Just saying
        hello and trying to contact former reenacting units. I'm looking for
        contact info for Paul Schultz of the 4th US, anyone of 1st Mich
        Militia, or Rob and Betsy. I'm also looking for any militia units in
        Ohio/ SE Mich. After being shot at, rocketted, and mortared for the
        past year, I'm not sure I want to be looking down a muzzle so soon,
        but might be interested in finding a unit local to Cleveland and stay
        on the "education" side of the fence at events.

        Take Care,
        John Van Sickle

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      • K. J. Lindsey
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2005
          John,
          Let me also say welcome back and thanks for your service to our
          Country!

          I am member of the 2nd Michigan Territorial Militia, which is based in
          Monroe, Michigan and is connected with the River Raisin Battlefield. We
          as a unit do participate in many educational activities at the museum
          and in Monroe in general,(ie: we recently finished a film about the
          battle, hosted the College students canoeing [as Voyaguers] from
          Michigan to Pittsburg, took part in the rededication of the Kentucky
          Monument, local parades, etc) as well as attending some reenactments
          in the area (Longwoods, Missisinewa, Ft. Meigs events, Put in Bay...)

          If you're interested in our group, I can put you in touch with our
          mailing list. We do have one member who was fomerly a member of the 1st
          Michigan, but I dont anything about the 4th.

          Kevin Lindsey
          Michigan

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Van Sickle"
          <american_legacies@y...> wrote:
          > Greetings group,
          >
          > Just returned from the "big sandbox" across the water. Just saying
          > hello and trying to contact former reenacting units. I'm looking for
          > contact info for Paul Schultz of the 4th US, anyone of 1st Mich
          > Militia, or Rob and Betsy. I'm also looking for any militia units in
          > Ohio/ SE Mich. After being shot at, rocketted, and mortared for the
          > past year, I'm not sure I want to be looking down a muzzle so soon,
          > but might be interested in finding a unit local to Cleveland and stay
          > on the "education" side of the fence at events.
          >
          > Take Care,
          > John Van Sickle
        • John Van Sickle
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2005
            Kevin,
            A few years ago, a couple of us put together uniforms for the Michigan
            Legionary Corp (rifle company). They looked exactly like those being
            worn at the River Raisin event pictures. Are those the infantry
            company? Those were blue while ours are bottle green. That was the
            only distinction as the rifle company had turned in their rifles for
            Springfields in 1807, I believe, because they were too difficult to
            maintain. If you don't mind, please put me on the mail list. Are the
            Brownstown and Trenton events still being held? I've been out of
            touch for awhile.

            YOS,
            John Van Sickle
          • K. J. Lindsey
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2005
              John,
              Yes, what we wear are the infantry uniforms of the 2nd Regiment. They
              are identical to the 1st, except for the color of the turnbacks (red
              for the 1st, white for the 2nd) and the color of the feathers worn
              (again variations of the red and white). The Legionary Corp turnbacks
              for the infantry were buff and their coats were shorter, but the
              overall style was the same. I do not know for sure if the Brownstown
              and Trenton events are still going, but the last I knew they were
              getting very small and I dont believe they are being held anymore. I
              know that we havent participated in the last couple of years, and I
              dont see them on the MetroPark calendar. I will be glad to get you
              onto our mailing list.

              Kevin Lindsey

              <american_legacies@y...> wrote:
              > Kevin,
              > A few years ago, a couple of us put together uniforms for the Michigan
              > Legionary Corp (rifle company). They looked exactly like those being
              > worn at the River Raisin event pictures. Are those the infantry
              > company? Those were blue while ours are bottle green. That was the
              > only distinction as the rifle company had turned in their rifles for
              > Springfields in 1807, I believe, because they were too difficult to
              > maintain. If you don't mind, please put me on the mail list. Are the
              > Brownstown and Trenton events still being held? I've been out of
              > touch for awhile.
              >
              > YOS,
              > John Van Sickle
            • Tom Russell
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
                John,

                On behalf of myself and family- Thank you for serving.

                Tom Russell
                Royal Marines

                Just returned from the "big sandbox" across the water.