RE: [WarOf1812] canteen cracks

  • Don Zorniak
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005

      Being a cooper of dubious character...I have made 50 or so to this date.

      Bees was is definitely the way to go.

      When I make canteens and I always seal them with bees wax.

      My dear son dropped a full canteen on a concrete surface and the fissure
      was about the size of the Welland Canal.

      I relined the canteen with bees wax and it has not leaked in over 5
      years.

      Do not...repeat...do not use commrcial paraffin. It is too hard when it
      sets and will start to leak again quite soon.

      Cheers

      Don Zorniak

      From: "Scott McDonald" <smcd@...>

      How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
      hairline cracks.

      Scott

      A good marine glue put directly into the cracks will stop the leaks

      Applying bees wax to the interior is a good stop gap

      I suggest not using paraffin wax for the reasons mentioned

      Hope this helps

      Yrs.,

      L2

      The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
      of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
      THOUSANDS of square miles...