Re: canteen cracks

  • md5_yager
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
      Scott,
      While parafin wax could be used, there are some problems. Parafin
      wax should be melted only in double boilers, not heated in pan directly
      over heat source. There is a real fire danger, as it can ignite easily
      compared to bees wax. Also, parafin wax can be really messy, e.g. never
      dump any down a sink or drain as it will clog up and nearly impossible
      to remove.

      I've used bees wax for the purpose you mention. It has worked well
      for sealing, and safer to work with than parafin.

      Dave

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Scott McDonald <smcd@c...> wrote:

      > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
      > hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
      > pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?
      >
      > Scott McD.
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
        Parafin tends to flake. You will be eating as much wax as you will be
        drinking water. Just my own personal experience, but I have very little
        knowledge about cooperage.
        Mark Dickerson

        > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
        > hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
        > pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?
        >
        > Scott McD.

        > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
        > of square miles...

      • lalozon
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
          From: "Scott McDonald" <smcd@...>

          How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
          hairline cracks.

          Scott

          A good marine glue put directly into the cracks will stop the leaks

          Applying bees wax to the interior is a good stop gap

          I suggest not using paraffin wax for the reasons mentioned

          Hope this helps

          Yrs.,

          L2
        • Paul Schaef
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Scott McDonald <smcd@c...> wrote:

            > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
            > hairline cracks.

            Scott

            I had the same problem a number of years ago. I used powdered
            cinnamon in the water. It is fine enough to get in the cracks
            and seal them. Also it is not that unpleasent a taste. Once the
            cracks are sealed, you can change the water. It is a good idea to
            always keep some water in it. Hope this helps.

            Paul Schaef
          • abateman
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
              Has the canteen been stored dry, and are the cracks along the joints?
              Soaking it should swell the pieces and seal it up. I once got a second hand
              canteen that had been stored dry for a couple of years. The bands were
              loose, the pieces were rattling, and it leaked like a sieve. I filled it up
              and submerged it in a tub of water under a weight for a couple of days. No
              more leaks. To keep it watertight just store it full and top it up every
              week or so. Even now my personal canteen may get a minor leak near the top
              if I leave it long enough that some of the water evaporates and the wood is
              allowed to dry out. This is despite the fact that it has been lined with
              beeswax.

              Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005

                Being a cooper of dubious character...I have made 50 or so to this date.

                Bees was is definitely the way to go.

                When I make canteens and I always seal them with bees wax.

                My dear son dropped a full canteen on a concrete surface and the fissure
                was about the size of the Welland Canal.

                I relined the canteen with bees wax and it has not leaked in over 5
                years.

                Do not...repeat...do not use commrcial paraffin. It is too hard when it
                sets and will start to leak again quite soon.

                Cheers

                Don Zorniak

                How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
                hairline cracks.

                Scott

                A good marine glue put directly into the cracks will stop the leaks

                Applying bees wax to the interior is a good stop gap

                I suggest not using paraffin wax for the reasons mentioned

                Hope this helps

                Yrs.,

                L2

                The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                THOUSANDS of square miles...