canteen cracks

  • Scott McDonald
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
      How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
      hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
      pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?

      Scott McD.
    • md5_yager
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
        Scott,
        While parafin wax could be used, there are some problems. Parafin
        wax should be melted only in double boilers, not heated in pan directly
        over heat source. There is a real fire danger, as it can ignite easily
        compared to bees wax. Also, parafin wax can be really messy, e.g. never
        dump any down a sink or drain as it will clog up and nearly impossible
        to remove.

        I've used bees wax for the purpose you mention. It has worked well
        for sealing, and safer to work with than parafin.

        Dave

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Scott McDonald <smcd@c...> wrote:

        > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
        > hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
        > pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?
        >
        > Scott McD.
      • Mark Dickerson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
          Parafin tends to flake. You will be eating as much wax as you will be
          drinking water. Just my own personal experience, but I have very little
          knowledge about cooperage.
          Mark Dickerson

          > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
          > hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
          > pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?
          >
          > Scott McD.

          > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
          > of square miles...

        • lalozon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
            From: "Scott McDonald" <smcd@...>

            How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
            hairline cracks.

            Scott

            A good marine glue put directly into the cracks will stop the leaks

            Applying bees wax to the interior is a good stop gap

            I suggest not using paraffin wax for the reasons mentioned

            Hope this helps

            Yrs.,

            L2
          • Paul Schaef
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Scott McDonald <smcd@c...> wrote:

              > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
              > hairline cracks.

              Scott

              I had the same problem a number of years ago. I used powdered
              cinnamon in the water. It is fine enough to get in the cracks
              and seal them. Also it is not that unpleasent a taste. Once the
              cracks are sealed, you can change the water. It is a good idea to
              always keep some water in it. Hope this helps.

              Paul Schaef
            • abateman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                Has the canteen been stored dry, and are the cracks along the joints?
                Soaking it should swell the pieces and seal it up. I once got a second hand
                canteen that had been stored dry for a couple of years. The bands were
                loose, the pieces were rattling, and it leaked like a sieve. I filled it up
                and submerged it in a tub of water under a weight for a couple of days. No
                more leaks. To keep it watertight just store it full and top it up every
                week or so. Even now my personal canteen may get a minor leak near the top
                if I leave it long enough that some of the water evaporates and the wood is
                allowed to dry out. This is despite the fact that it has been lined with
                beeswax.

                Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005

                  Being a cooper of dubious character...I have made 50 or so to this date.

                  Bees was is definitely the way to go.

                  When I make canteens and I always seal them with bees wax.

                  My dear son dropped a full canteen on a concrete surface and the fissure
                  was about the size of the Welland Canal.

                  I relined the canteen with bees wax and it has not leaked in over 5
                  years.

                  Do not...repeat...do not use commrcial paraffin. It is too hard when it
                  sets and will start to leak again quite soon.

                  Cheers

                  Don Zorniak

                  How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
                  hairline cracks.

                  Scott

                  A good marine glue put directly into the cracks will stop the leaks

                  Applying bees wax to the interior is a good stop gap

                  I suggest not using paraffin wax for the reasons mentioned

                  Hope this helps

                  Yrs.,

                  L2

                  The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                  of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                  THOUSANDS of square miles...