Re: 2005 WAR Of 1812 Events

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "lalozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
> [...]
      > April 22-24 School of the 1812 American Soldier Ft Massac, Metropolis, Il.
      >
      > May 7-8 Battle of Longwoods London Ont
      > May 7-8 Attack on Havre De Grace, MD
      > May 14-15 Militia Muster - Pine City, Minnesota
      > May 21 Militia Muster, Sully, VA
      > May 28-29 Talbot Settlement Raids - Tyrconnel, Ont
      > May 28-29 Fort Meigs Perrysburg Ohio
      >
      > June 4-5 Battle of Stoney Creek, Hamilton Ont.
      > June 4-5 Shandy Hall Encampment, Geneva, Ohio
      > June 11-12 Militia Muster Georgina Pioneer Village, Keswick, Ont
      > June 18-19 Genesee Country Village Mumford, N.Y.
      > June 18-19 Battle of Craney Island, Ft Norfolk, VA
      > June 17-19 Waterloo/Plancenoit, 190th Anniversary, Belgium
      > June 25-26 Napoleonic Grand Encampment, Old Bedford Village, PA
      >
      > July 9-10 Old Fort MacArthur Days, San Pedro, CA (Los Angeles)
      >
      > July 16-17 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical, Ft. George
      > http://1812grandtactical.tripod.com
      >
      > July 16-17 School of the Sailor, Navy Hall, Fort George, Ont.
      > July 16-17 Prairie du Chien, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
      > July 22-24 Wasaga under Siege 1812, Wasaga Beach, Ont
      > July 30-31 Fort Malden's Military Time Line Amherstburg Ont
      >
      > Aug 6-7 Fort Erie, Ont
      > Aug 12-14 McArthur's Raid Kanata Village Brantford, Ontario
      >Aug 12-14 Sackett's Harbour 1812 Info Call: 315-646-3634
      > Aug 13 Battle of Bladensburg, Riversdale, MD
      > Aug 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y.
      > Aug 20-21 Hancocks Resolution/Caulk's Field, Pasadena, MD
      > Aug 27-28 Fanshawe 1812 Encampment, London, Ont
      >
      > Sept 9-11 Battle of Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
      > Sept 10-11 Battle of Lake Erie Event, Put-in-Bay, OH
      > Sept 10-11 Defenders Day, Ft McHenry, Baltimore, MD
      > Sept 10-11 Backus Mills Conservation Area, Port Rowan Ont.
      > Sept 24 Battle of St Leonards Creek, Jefferson-Patterson Park, MD
      >
      > Oct 1-2 Faire at the Forks, Chatham, ON
      > Oct 7-9 Mississinewa 1812 Marion Ind.
      >
      > Nov 5-6 Muster on the Wabash, Vincennes, IN
      >
      > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
      > 2005 Crown Forces Events
      > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
      >
      > April 9-10 Crown Forces School, Fort York, Toronto
      >
      > Sat April 9 School of Instruction: Infantry Officers & NCOs
      > (All Crown Forces Officers and NCO's encouraged to attend)
      >
      > Sat April 9 School of Instruction: Historical Cooking Workshop
      > (All Crown Forces cooks encouraged to attend)
      >
      > Sun April 10 School of Instruction: Artillery Officers & Crews
      > (Crown Forces Artillery Officers/Crews encouraged to attend)
      >
      > June 4-5 Battle of Stoney Creek, Hamilton Ont.
      > (Crown Forces Event - All Crown Forces encouraged to attend)
      >
      > July 16-17 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical, Ft. George, Ont.
      > (All Crown and USA Forces encouraged to attend)
      >
      > July 16-17 School of the Sailor, Navy Hall, Fort George, Ont.
      > (All Crown Navy Forces encouraged to attend
      >
      > August 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y.
      > (Crown Forces Event - All Crown Forces encouraged to attend)
      > - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -
      >
      > June 25-26 Napoleonic Grand Encampment, Old Bedford Village, PA.

    • Scott McDonald
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
        How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
        hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
        pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?

        Scott McD.
      • md5_yager
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
          Scott,
          While parafin wax could be used, there are some problems. Parafin
          wax should be melted only in double boilers, not heated in pan directly
          over heat source. There is a real fire danger, as it can ignite easily
          compared to bees wax. Also, parafin wax can be really messy, e.g. never
          dump any down a sink or drain as it will clog up and nearly impossible
          to remove.

          I've used bees wax for the purpose you mention. It has worked well
          for sealing, and safer to work with than parafin.

          Dave

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Scott McDonald <smcd@c...> wrote:

          > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
          > hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
          > pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?
          >
          > Scott McD.
        • Mark Dickerson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
            Parafin tends to flake. You will be eating as much wax as you will be
            drinking water. Just my own personal experience, but I have very little
            knowledge about cooperage.
            Mark Dickerson

            > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
            > hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
            > pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?
            >
            > Scott McD.

            > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
            > of square miles...

          • lalozon
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
              From: "Scott McDonald" <smcd@...>

              How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
              hairline cracks.

              Scott

              A good marine glue put directly into the cracks will stop the leaks

              Applying bees wax to the interior is a good stop gap

              I suggest not using paraffin wax for the reasons mentioned

              Hope this helps

              Yrs.,

              L2
            • Paul Schaef
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Scott McDonald <smcd@c...> wrote:

                > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
                > hairline cracks.

                Scott

                I had the same problem a number of years ago. I used powdered
                cinnamon in the water. It is fine enough to get in the cracks
                and seal them. Also it is not that unpleasent a taste. Once the
                cracks are sealed, you can change the water. It is a good idea to
                always keep some water in it. Hope this helps.

                Paul Schaef
              • abateman
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Has the canteen been stored dry, and are the cracks along the joints?
                  Soaking it should swell the pieces and seal it up. I once got a second hand
                  canteen that had been stored dry for a couple of years. The bands were
                  loose, the pieces were rattling, and it leaked like a sieve. I filled it up
                  and submerged it in a tub of water under a weight for a couple of days. No
                  more leaks. To keep it watertight just store it full and top it up every
                  week or so. Even now my personal canteen may get a minor leak near the top
                  if I leave it long enough that some of the water evaporates and the wood is
                  allowed to dry out. This is despite the fact that it has been lined with
                  beeswax.

                  Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005

                    Being a cooper of dubious character...I have made 50 or so to this date.

                    Bees was is definitely the way to go.

                    When I make canteens and I always seal them with bees wax.

                    My dear son dropped a full canteen on a concrete surface and the fissure
                    was about the size of the Welland Canal.

                    I relined the canteen with bees wax and it has not leaked in over 5
                    years.

                    Do not...repeat...do not use commrcial paraffin. It is too hard when it
                    sets and will start to leak again quite soon.

                    Cheers

                    Don Zorniak

                    How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
                    hairline cracks.

                    Scott

                    A good marine glue put directly into the cracks will stop the leaks

                    Applying bees wax to the interior is a good stop gap

                    I suggest not using paraffin wax for the reasons mentioned

                    Hope this helps

                    Yrs.,

                    L2

                    The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                    of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                    THOUSANDS of square miles...