2005 WAR Of 1812 Events

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      2005 WAR Of 1812 Events List
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      Jan 8-9 Battle of New Orleans
      Jan 22 River Raisin Battle Monroe, MI

      Feb 19-20 Battle of Ogdensburg, Ogdensburg, NY

      March 5 Living History Conference, Mohawk College, Hamilton Ont

      April 9-10 Crown Forces School, Fort York, Toronto
      April 9 Infantry Officers & NCOs School of Instruction
      April 9 Historical Cooking Workshop
      April 10 Artillery Officers & Crews School of Instruction

      April 16-17 2nd Annual Fort Meigs Clothing Conference Perrysburg, Ohio
      April 15-17 Peninsula Napoleonic Campaign, Anza, CA
      April 22-24 School of the 1812 American Soldier Ft Massac, Metropolis, Il.

      May 7-8 Battle of Longwoods London Ont
      May 7-8 Attack on Havre De Grace, MD
      May 14-15 Militia Muster - Pine City, Minnesota
      May 21 Militia Muster, Sully, VA
      May 28-29 Talbot Settlement Raids - Tyrconnel, Ont
      May 28-29 Fort Meigs Perrysburg Ohio

      June 4-5 Battle of Stoney Creek, Hamilton Ont.
      June 4-5 Shandy Hall Encampment, Geneva, Ohio
      June 11-12 Militia Muster Georgina Pioneer Village, Keswick, Ont
      June 18-19 Genesee Country Village Mumford, N.Y.
      June 18-19 Battle of Craney Island, Ft Norfolk, VA
      June 17-19 Waterloo/Plancenoit, 190th Anniversary, Belgium
      June 25-26 Napoleonic Grand Encampment, Old Bedford Village, PA

      July 9-10 Old Fort MacArthur Days, San Pedro, CA (Los Angeles)

      July 16-17 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical, Ft. George
      http://1812grandtactical.tripod.com

      July 16-17 School of the Sailor, Navy Hall, Fort George, Ont.
      July 16-17 Prairie du Chien, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
      July 22-24 Wasaga under Siege 1812, Wasaga Beach, Ont
      July 30-31 Fort Malden's Military Time Line Amherstburg Ont

      Aug 6-7 Fort Erie, Ont
      Aug 12-14 McArthur's Raid Kanata Village Brantford, Ontario
      Aug 13 Battle of Bladensburg, Riversdale, MD
      Aug 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y.
      Aug 20-21 Hancocks Resolution/Caulk's Field, Pasadena, MD
      Aug 27-28 Fanshawe 1812 Encampment, London, Ont

      Sept 9-11 Battle of Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
      Sept 10-11 Battle of Lake Erie Event, Put-in-Bay, OH
      Sept 10-11 Defenders Day, Ft McHenry, Baltimore, MD
      Sept 10-11 Backus Mills Conservation Area, Port Rowan Ont.
      Sept 24 Battle of St Leonards Creek, Jefferson-Patterson Park, MD

      Oct 1-2 Faire at the Forks, Chatham, ON
      Oct 7-9 Mississinewa 1812 Marion Ind.

      Nov 5-6 Muster on the Wabash, Vincennes, IN

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
      2005 Crown Forces Events
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=

      April 9-10 Crown Forces School, Fort York, Toronto

      Sat April 9 School of Instruction: Infantry Officers & NCOs
      (All Crown Forces Officers and NCO's encouraged to attend)

      Sat April 9 School of Instruction: Historical Cooking Workshop
      (All Crown Forces cooks encouraged to attend)

      Sun April 10 School of Instruction: Artillery Officers & Crews
      (Crown Forces Artillery Officers/Crews encouraged to attend)

      June 4-5 Battle of Stoney Creek, Hamilton Ont.
      (Crown Forces Event - All Crown Forces encouraged to attend)

      July 16-17 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical, Ft. George, Ont.
      (All Crown and USA Forces encouraged to attend)

      July 16-17 School of the Sailor, Navy Hall, Fort George, Ont.
      (All Crown Navy Forces encouraged to attend

      August 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y.
      (Crown Forces Event - All Crown Forces encouraged to attend)
      - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

      June 25-26 Napoleonic Grand Encampment, Old Bedford Village, PA.
      (Crown Forces attend by Invitation)

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      2006 WAR Of 1812 Events List
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      Oct 13-15 Mississinewa 1812 Marion Ind.

      Mississinewa 1812
      2007 ~ October 5-7, 2007
      2008 ~ October 10-12, 2008

      ----------------- Fini -----------------

      If you have your event dates for 2005
      please add to the list in date sequence
      and "Reply to All"
    • Colin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "lalozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
> [...]
        > (All Crown Forces Officers and NCO's encouraged to attend)
        >
        > Sat April 9 School of Instruction: Historical Cooking Workshop
        > (All Crown Forces cooks encouraged to attend)
        >
        > Sun April 10 School of Instruction: Artillery Officers & Crews
        > (Crown Forces Artillery Officers/Crews encouraged to attend)
        >
        > June 4-5 Battle of Stoney Creek, Hamilton Ont.
        > (Crown Forces Event - All Crown Forces encouraged to attend)
        >
        > July 16-17 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical, Ft. George, Ont.
        > (All Crown and USA Forces encouraged to attend)
        >
        > July 16-17 School of the Sailor, Navy Hall, Fort George, Ont.
        > (All Crown Navy Forces encouraged to attend
        >
        > August 20-21 Fort Niagara 1812 Weekend, Youngstown N.Y.
        > (Crown Forces Event - All Crown Forces encouraged to attend)
        > - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -
        >
        > June 25-26 Napoleonic Grand Encampment, Old Bedford Village, PA.

      • Scott McDonald
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
          How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
          hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
          pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?

          Scott McD.
        • md5_yager
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
            Scott,
            While parafin wax could be used, there are some problems. Parafin
            wax should be melted only in double boilers, not heated in pan directly
            over heat source. There is a real fire danger, as it can ignite easily
            compared to bees wax. Also, parafin wax can be really messy, e.g. never
            dump any down a sink or drain as it will clog up and nearly impossible
            to remove.

            I've used bees wax for the purpose you mention. It has worked well
            for sealing, and safer to work with than parafin.

            Dave

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Scott McDonald <smcd@c...> wrote:

            > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
            > hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
            > pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?
            >
            > Scott McD.
          • Mark Dickerson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
              Parafin tends to flake. You will be eating as much wax as you will be
              drinking water. Just my own personal experience, but I have very little
              knowledge about cooperage.
              Mark Dickerson

              > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
              > hairline cracks. I've been told to melt bees wax slosh it around and
              > pour out the excess. Will parafin(sp) do as a substitute?
              >
              > Scott McD.

              > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
              > of square miles...

            • lalozon
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                From: "Scott McDonald" <smcd@...>

                How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
                hairline cracks.

                Scott

                A good marine glue put directly into the cracks will stop the leaks

                Applying bees wax to the interior is a good stop gap

                I suggest not using paraffin wax for the reasons mentioned

                Hope this helps

                Yrs.,

                L2
              • Paul Schaef
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Scott McDonald <smcd@c...> wrote:

                  > How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
                  > hairline cracks.

                  Scott

                  I had the same problem a number of years ago. I used powdered
                  cinnamon in the water. It is fine enough to get in the cracks
                  and seal them. Also it is not that unpleasent a taste. Once the
                  cracks are sealed, you can change the water. It is a good idea to
                  always keep some water in it. Hope this helps.

                  Paul Schaef
                • abateman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Has the canteen been stored dry, and are the cracks along the joints?
                    Soaking it should swell the pieces and seal it up. I once got a second hand
                    canteen that had been stored dry for a couple of years. The bands were
                    loose, the pieces were rattling, and it leaked like a sieve. I filled it up
                    and submerged it in a tub of water under a weight for a couple of days. No
                    more leaks. To keep it watertight just store it full and top it up every
                    week or so. Even now my personal canteen may get a minor leak near the top
                    if I leave it long enough that some of the water evaporates and the wood is
                    allowed to dry out. This is despite the fact that it has been lined with
                    beeswax.

                    Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005

                      Being a cooper of dubious character...I have made 50 or so to this date.

                      Bees was is definitely the way to go.

                      When I make canteens and I always seal them with bees wax.

                      My dear son dropped a full canteen on a concrete surface and the fissure
                      was about the size of the Welland Canal.

                      I relined the canteen with bees wax and it has not leaked in over 5
                      years.

                      Do not...repeat...do not use commrcial paraffin. It is too hard when it
                      sets and will start to leak again quite soon.

                      Cheers

                      Don Zorniak

                      How exactly does one seal up one's wood canteen. Mine has two
                      hairline cracks.

                      Scott

                      A good marine glue put directly into the cracks will stop the leaks

                      Applying bees wax to the interior is a good stop gap

                      I suggest not using paraffin wax for the reasons mentioned

                      Hope this helps

                      Yrs.,

                      L2

                      The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                      of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                      THOUSANDS of square miles...