Re: Crap on this list

  • md5_yager
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
      Hi Angela,
      I would agree that the postings which gave rise to your note
      weren't flattering to anyone. One person's "pissy mood" results in
      another's insult. The flame wars begin.

      Not making excuses for anyone, but safety is a foremost concern to
      those of us who reenact history. North American reenactors create
      risk each time we light a cook fire, stake down a tent rope, or fix
      bayonets. Event sites are usually public property, but they must
      manage risk as well.

      While we hope what we do is interesting to the public, nowhere I am
      aware of are we indemnified from the risks of 'living history'. We
      already have more safety concerns than unpaid volunteers should have
      to deal with, in my view. So wild rumors of arson and provocative
      hints of physical violence have no place here. Besides, they likely
      violate Yahoo's user agreements and perhaps even statutory law. But
      please check your "pissy moods", along with your shootin' irons, at
      the door.

      I'll probably annoy someone somewhere with my remarks. If so, it's
      not my intent to give offense, just my point of view as a re-enactor.
      ... my 2 cents worth, Dave

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Angela <deedle_momof3@y...> wrote:
      > Well, I have to admit I'm awfully disappointed with the maturity of
      many of the folks on this newsgroup, and have been since I signed up
      nearly a year ago. If it weren't for the informative posts and the
      helpful (and some very nice) people on this list, I'd have bailed
      long ago.

      > This is a list to share information and excitement on the topic of
      the War of 1812. I cannot believe how common it is for people here to
      be so belittling in the way they speak to people. It's just plain
      disrespectful and hurtful. (And very inappropriate).

      > Play nice, people! I don't want the next event I attend to require
      security guards!

      > Respectfully,
      >
      > Angela Bourbonnais
      > www.sandstonecottage.com
      >

      > Craig Williams <sgtwarner@s...> wrote:
      > I think this is a case of one side taking the other side too
      seriously
      > folks.
      > Every one , put the bayonet down, back away, take a deep breath,
      > chillax!
      >
      > Craig
      > On 1-Jun-05, at 10:10 AM, Terry Lubka wrote:
      >
      > > Mark,
      > > Of all people I'd have to say you were out of line. First this is
      an
      > > egroup for reenactors of the War of 1812. The discussion was
      about a
      > > possible act of violence/vandalism at an 1812 event. You make a
      post
      > > about "giving the cold steel of a bayonet" to any offenders.
      > > What kind of comment is that? This is a serious issue and you
      come up
      > > with something like this?
      > > John assumed you were a reenactor of this time frame and being
      asked
      > > to be a safety officer at an upcoming 1812 event has to look for
      > > people who aren't safety minded on the field. With bravado
      statements
      > > like yours what do you expect? If it were a joke you were making
      then
      > > I'd have to say your timing was off.
      > >

      > > Terry
      > > 25th US
      > >

      > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of
      hundreds
      > > of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate
      of
      > > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

      > Crown Forces Unit Listing: