Bev Nicol (Head of the Lake Trading) hospitalized again

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      I just got off the phone with Bev Nicol's wife Roberta, and
      unfortunately Bev has been hospitalized again. I know that I was
      astonished to see him out with his shop at Longwoods this year, as at
      that point he'd only been out of the hospital a week after a very
      lengthy stay (you'll remember that he took some serious damage after a
      fall downstairs). It seems that it was indeed too soon for him to take
      on such a heavy load again -- he developed breathing problems
      immediately after Longwoods and was hospitalized by Wednesday of that week.

      After some very serious and scary complications and a considerable stay
      in intensive care, Bev's fought his way out of the woods once more and
      is now in a recovery ward, waiting to be moved to another floor where
      he'll be assigned physiotherapy to build up his strength before he's
      released to go home. Roberta's assessment is that he's ready for
      visitors and could use some cheering up -- he's going a little stir
      crazy and feeling rather down, especially now that the re-enacting
      season has started.

      Bev is in a different hospital this time -- Joseph Brant Hospital in
      Burlington. He's currently on floor 5 West, but he's expected to move
      up to the sixth floor as soon as there's room in the physio unit. If
      you're calling or visiting, remember to ask for "Robert Nicol" (note no
      "h" in the last name), as the hospital staff won't have a clue who "Bev"
      is. The snail mail address that I have for Bev and Roberta is R. R. #1,
      Millgrove, ON, L0R 1V0 -- although one e-list member reported that her
      card was returned when sent to this address, so it may be safer to send
      anything to the hospital. Bev is expected to be in for about another
      week or so.

      Think good thoughts, everyone -- and spare a thought also for Roberta,
      who's suffering a good deal over the situation and in fact ended up in
      emergency herself after a dizzy spell at the hospital that turned out to
      have been brought on by stress.

      -- Sioux
    • mccombs98
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        Hi Sioux,
        Though I don't know Bev from Adam, I do pass that hospital everyday.

        I would defer to your judgement whether he would enjoy a book I could
        lend him to read.

        It's actually a dissertation, but it has transcribed daily letters (3
        yrs) of a sutler of Albany NY (John Macomb) to various known British
        officers and characters during the French and Indian Wars (not our
        period,...but hey!) The best thing about these are the extensive
        footnotes that puts all into context.

        I could easily drop off Vol 1 (of 3).
        At 500 pages, it should keep him quiet for awhile, but that's IMHO.

        Please advise.
        Yours, etc, etc.
        Murray McCombs
        "the newbie"