Re: American Light Infantry

  • dan_055
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
      Dave,

      Thanks for the prompt reply, very helpful.

      Dan

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "md5_yager" <md5_yager@y...> wrote:
      > Dan,
      > I'd hazard that an answer to your question could almost fill a
      small
      > book. But to take a very general overview, here are some personal
      > opinions.
      >
      > As for light infantry companies in regular US regiments, I'll
      leave
      > that for rep's/historians of those recreated units.
      >
      > As for State militias up to the War of 1812, I offer some
      > observations from personal study. The short answer is that
      > one could make a claim that all of the state militias were "light"
      > infantry, in that their military training (drill, maneuver
      > evolutions, etc.), where there was any, was never on a par with
      > regular infantry. State militia service traced back to the
      earliest
      > colonial periods, being a requirement for able-bodied males in the
      > designated age range, which varied over time, but often from 16-
      50.
      > For the vast majority, this meant nothing more than being a name
      on
      > the company commander's muster role, and maybe showing up at
      > infrequent drills.
      >
      > Virginia for a time used militia districts to determine who was in
      > company, based on census location. The numbers I have seen in
      > Virginia the post-RevWar period suggested a variable 60-80 men per
      > company. If a militia draft occurred, it usually did not mean
      > everyone reported due to hardship that would result in agrarian
      > culture. Attempts were made to get enough of the company to
      > volunteer, to meet quotas. And there was a process for substitutes.
      >
      > No companies in southwest Virginia or western North Carolina, for
      > example were designated 'light infantry', since many of these were
      > (for historical and weapons reasons) designated rifle companies.
      This
      > was economical, as a hunting frock was often the official State
      > uniform. And it capitalized on long-standing familiarity with
      rifles,
      > and hunting dress. (I know some may think this sounds like its
      from a
      > Davy Crockett movie script, but know that there were small Indian
      war-
      > party raids in east Tennessee, albeit infrequent, into the mid
      1790s.)

      > In most areas, it appears that men were also free to constitute
      their
      > own independent, uniformed companies. Incredibly, there was no
      public
      > fear or shock at the sight of organized groups of men carrying and
      > drilling with guns in public in those times. People actually
      welcomed
      > it. But I digress... Uniformed companies could be found in
      Baltimore,
      > Maryland, and some other cities. Maryland had companies which
      > retained the name "Light Infantry" from the RevWar period right up
      > the time of the War of 1812. Baltimore also had a
      independent "Yager"
      > company. (you Prussian fans spelled it as "Jager" or "Jaeger"). At
      > the battle of North Point, Baltimore, Maryland in 1814, historical
      > records show they functioned as skirmishers, although evidently
      armed
      > with muskets. There was a independent, uniformed "First Baltimore
      > Light Infantry Company" at the same battle, that traced back to
      the
      > Revolutionary War. But I have not yet seen evidence they fought
      > independently from other line infantry companies in the 5th
      Regiment,
      > Maryland Militia they were attached to. Local military commanders
      > attached rifle units to at least a couple of the infantry
      regiments
      > at that battle. But organizationally, a Rifle Battalion was a
      > separate entity.
      >
      > ... This only gives a few details about variation from State to
      > State, and within each State. (As I said, you could fill a small
      > book.) US law mandated State militias, but their organization,
      > uniforms, training, and fighting quality was a
      proverbial 'patchwork-
      > quilt'. The War of 1812 certainly brought to light many of the
      > organizational and political management problems of the US
      Government
      > relying on augmenting US forces with State militias.
      >
      > Dave Welch
      > Sadtler's Baltimore Yagers Company
      > 5th Reg't, Maryland Militia
      >

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "dan_055" <dan_055@y...> wrote:
      > > This may be a dumb question, but did the American
      > > regular regiments have light companies? How about
      > > the State or militia regiments?
      > >
      > > If not, what happened to all the light infantry
      > > made famous during the revolution?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Dan
    • Annette Gower
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        Dan ,
        Yes the infantry has light units in the war of 1812 , as well as the Regiment of Rifles , they have a special supplement to the infantry regulation , as light and rifles .
        Lloyd
        This may be a dumb question, but did the American
        regular regiments have light companies? How about
        the State or militia regiments?

        If not, what happened to all the light infantry
        made famous during the revolution?

        Thanks,
        Dan

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      • machewr
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2005
          Yes, I was curious about this, too. Been reading Smyth's regs of 1812 and he mentions
          two companies of Grenadiers with each battalion. I fear I am still in research 101 and
          hopefully can glean the expertise of this group.

          Were the Grenadiers distinguished from the regular line companies in any way, in uniform,
          function and the like? Were they detached and converged into "light" battalions? Did they
          do any skirmishing like the lights of the British battalions? Or were they indistinguishable
          from the line companies?
        • Brian Howard
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2005
            Dave,
            Davy Crockett aside, Virginia did maintain militia
            companies that were designated "Light Infantry".
            Governor Barbour in Jan of 1812 specified a Light
            Infantry uniform of a blue coat with white collar,
            cuffs, half-lapels, and turnbacks. A white waist coat,
            blue trousers with white seams, and a black round hat
            with a black cockade. Many of the more well to do
            companies designated themsleves as light infantry and
            adopted variations of this uniform regulation.

            As for riflemen, I must say you are incorrect with the
            hunting shirt being the uniform of the rifleman. Yes,
            the 1812 regulation called for a purple hunting shirt
            and purple trousers. The Mathews County Rifle companie
            adopted a uniform of a blue coat with black vest and
            black trousers. The hat was odd but I don't recall
            the exact configuration.

            It's late and I could go into more detail once I get
            my facts together. I will post more at a later time.

            Brian Howard
            2nd Virginia Regt., 1813-1815

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • md5_yager
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
              Brian,
              Your example of the Mathews County company is a good example of what
              I described as an independent, uniformed company. This "Volunteer
              Rifles" company even had their own constitution. The silver
              epaulettes of their officers must have been splendid. Mathews County
              on the Chesapeake Bay is a pretty far piece from the piedmont and
              mountain counties of Virginia, where the militia rifle companies and
              mounted volunteers were not so fashionably dressed.

              One could devote many pages to the colorful variations of uniform to
              be found among many such companies across the States. Many on this
              list probably are familiar with several excellent published sources
              on such. Variety in militia dress stemmed from many factors. North
              Carolina had a volunteer cavalry with with blue round jackets, and
              white pantaloons. But at the start of the war, there was no
              regulation uniform, leading Governor Hawkins had to draw up a design.
              Major William Hamilton was placed in charge of recruiting in North
              Carolina and promised to equip volunteers in "RIFLE DRESS and give
              you your FAVORITE WEAPON". (I daresay the latter was not a Bess or
              Charleville, subject to the limits of supply from US depots and
              contrators.) Hollywood notwithstanding, the dress of Tennessee and
              Kentucky mounted volunteers is legendary.

              As noted in earlier posting, State militias, both volunteers and
              draftees, were heavily relied upon to augment US Forces. A reader had
              asked what became of American light infantry units of the RevWar
              period. I was suggesting that the role of light infantry units among
              State forces was, by 1812, made unremarkable by sheer weight of
              overall militia quotas States were directed to provide.

              I don't think I implied that light infantry units did not exist, or
              see combat. In fact, several in Maryland were employed like quick-
              reaction teams to respond to British landing parties in the
              Chesapeake. But across the spectrum of State units, both volunteer
              and drafted, the record and tactics suggest to me that it was
              frequently ad hoc, "come as you are" campaigns -- by combatants with
              little-to-no formal military training. But as Horseshoe Bend, New
              Orleans and other battles demonstrate, to borrow a phrase they didn't
              have to "dress for success".

              (Now what did I do with that old coonskin cap, it was here
              someplace... <grin>)
              Dave

            • Brian Howard
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
                Dave,
                Did not mean to cause you any discomfort and my
                appologies if I did so with my response. Your
                Hollywood analogy is correct when it comes to the
                rifleman image. I remember the movie "The Buccaneer"
                with Yul Brenner as John Lafeet. Gotta love those
                early movies especially with Charleton Heston as
                Jackson.

                You are on the mark with the variation of the
                uniforms. Seemed that by the end of the war the
                militia of Virginia was wearing the uniform of the US
                army. Governor Barbour issued an order in April of
                1813 that the militia was to adopt the regular
                infantry uniform. Seems that this was largely ignored
                in that the Adjutant General reinterated this order in
                orders dated March of 1814.

                By the way, I think my parents still have my coonskin
                cap in a trunk in their attic. Wonder how much it
                would go for on Ebay?

                Brian

                === message truncated ===

                __________________________________
                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/
              • md5_yager
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
                  Brian,
                  No apology needed. Between us I hope we cleared some of the "fog
                  of war" for readers concerning light infantry and rifle companies of
                  the militia. What is sometimes called the "second British War"
                  or "second war of Independence" was briefer, but undoubtedly more
                  hotly fought, and over a much bigger piece of the continent.

                  If you are associated with Ft. Norfolk, I'll beg the indulgence
                  of the List, to mention Charles Sexton, who had the honor to serve
                  your State's Governor (probably Barbour's successor Nelson). Drafted
                  August 2,1814 at Russell County Court House into Captain John
                  Hammon's Co'y, 5th Reg't, Virginia Militia. Discharged at Ft. Nelson
                  March 20, 1815. His widow applied in 1872 for a pension in his name,
                  for his 231 days service. But only after attesting "that at no time
                  during the late rebellion against the authority of the United States
                  did he adhere to the cause of the enemies of the Government giving
                  them aid or comfort"

                  ... But that "late rebellion" is another story and one for another
                  list.

                  I have the pleasure to be
                  your Mo: ob: servt,
                  Dave Welch