Re: The Glorious First of June

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      Ah yes William James' accounts. Fun to read...dangerous to take at face
      value. Good old Rough Rider Teddy puts James in his place with basic facts.

      Also
      Got to love the text of the cigarette card on the previous link

      "In the American War of 1812, this country was much disheartened by the loss
      of several small men-of-war to the powerful American frigates."

      I guess Guerriere, Java and Macedonian were small "men-of-war". We all
      know they were not of the same class as the US 44's but RN 38's had beaten
      many french 44's in previuos years and only lost once if I recall correctly.

      C Murphy
    • Brian Howard
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2005
        And to the memory of Captain Lawrence of the
        Chesapeake who gave the battle cry of "Don't give up
        the ship" to his crew as they valiantly fought to save
        the ship.

        Brian

        --- Camp Chief <sbfg.cc@...> wrote:

        > And perhaps to Captain Philip Broke and the
        > Shannon's who engaged and
        > captured the Chesapeake on this day in 1813.
        >

        > David Randle

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • MauriceD
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
          I send you all joy on the anniversary of this celebrated victory.