RE: [WarOf1812] The Glorious First of June

  • Camp Chief
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      And to the brave Chesapeakes for giving such a strong accounting of
      themselves.

      David Randle

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        To Captain Lawerance, Lt. James Broom and the Marines of the Chesapeake
        who fought to the last. And to the most worthy of conquerers, the Tars and
        Royal Marines of the Shannon
      • Camp Chief
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
          If anyone would care to read an account of the engagement:

          http://www.maritime-scotland.com/shannon.html

          It also features at the end of the novel "The Fortune of War" - the sixth of
          the Jack Aubrey (O'Brian's Master and Commander books).

          David Randle

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
            Ah yes William James' accounts. Fun to read...dangerous to take at face
            value. Good old Rough Rider Teddy puts James in his place with basic facts.

            Also
            Got to love the text of the cigarette card on the previous link

            "In the American War of 1812, this country was much disheartened by the loss
            of several small men-of-war to the powerful American frigates."

            I guess Guerriere, Java and Macedonian were small "men-of-war". We all
            know they were not of the same class as the US 44's but RN 38's had beaten
            many french 44's in previuos years and only lost once if I recall correctly.

            C Murphy
          • Brian Howard
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2005
              And to the memory of Captain Lawrence of the
              Chesapeake who gave the battle cry of "Don't give up
              the ship" to his crew as they valiantly fought to save
              the ship.

              Brian

              --- Camp Chief <sbfg.cc@...> wrote:

              > And perhaps to Captain Philip Broke and the
              > Shannon's who engaged and
              > captured the Chesapeake on this day in 1813.
              >

              > David Randle

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • MauriceD
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
                I send you all joy on the anniversary of this celebrated victory.