RE: [WarOf1812] The Glorious First of June

  • Camp Chief
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      And perhaps to Captain Philip Broke and the Shannon's who engaged and
      captured the Chesapeake on this day in 1813.

      David Randle

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        And to the brave Chesapeakes for giving such a strong accounting of
        themselves.

        David Randle

        And perhaps to Captain Philip Broke and the Shannon's who engaged and
        captured the Chesapeake on this day in 1813.

        David Randle

      • Colin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
          To Captain Lawerance, Lt. James Broom and the Marines of the Chesapeake
          who fought to the last. And to the most worthy of conquerers, the Tars and
          Royal Marines of the Shannon
        • Camp Chief
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
            If anyone would care to read an account of the engagement:

            http://www.maritime-scotland.com/shannon.html

            It also features at the end of the novel "The Fortune of War" - the sixth of
            the Jack Aubrey (O'Brian's Master and Commander books).

            David Randle

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
              Ah yes William James' accounts. Fun to read...dangerous to take at face
              value. Good old Rough Rider Teddy puts James in his place with basic facts.

              Also
              Got to love the text of the cigarette card on the previous link

              "In the American War of 1812, this country was much disheartened by the loss
              of several small men-of-war to the powerful American frigates."

              I guess Guerriere, Java and Macedonian were small "men-of-war". We all
              know they were not of the same class as the US 44's but RN 38's had beaten
              many french 44's in previuos years and only lost once if I recall correctly.

              C Murphy
            • Brian Howard
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2005
                And to the memory of Captain Lawrence of the
                Chesapeake who gave the battle cry of "Don't give up
                the ship" to his crew as they valiantly fought to save
                the ship.

                Brian

                --- Camp Chief <sbfg.cc@...> wrote:

                > And perhaps to Captain Philip Broke and the
                > Shannon's who engaged and
                > captured the Chesapeake on this day in 1813.
                >

                > David Randle

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • MauriceD
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
                  I send you all joy on the anniversary of this celebrated victory.