Re: American Light Infantry

  • md5_yager
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
      Dan,
      I'd hazard that an answer to your question could almost fill a small
      book. But to take a very general overview, here are some personal
      opinions.

      As for light infantry companies in regular US regiments, I'll leave
      that for rep's/historians of those recreated units.

      As for State militias up to the War of 1812, I offer some
      observations from personal study. The short answer is that
      one could make a claim that all of the state militias were "light"
      infantry, in that their military training (drill, maneuver
      evolutions, etc.), where there was any, was never on a par with
      regular infantry. State militia service traced back to the earliest
      colonial periods, being a requirement for able-bodied males in the
      designated age range, which varied over time, but often from 16-50.
      For the vast majority, this meant nothing more than being a name on
      the company commander's muster role, and maybe showing up at
      infrequent drills.

      Virginia for a time used militia districts to determine who was in a
      company, based on census location. The numbers I have seen in
      Virginia the post-RevWar period suggested a variable 60-80 men per
      company. If a militia draft occurred, it usually did not mean
      everyone reported due to hardship that would result in agrarian
      culture. Attempts were made to get enough of the company to
      volunteer, to meet quotas. And there was a process for substitutes.

      No companies in southwest Virginia or western North Carolina, for
      example were designated 'light infantry', since many of these were
      (for historical and weapons reasons) designated rifle companies. This
      was economical, as a hunting frock was often the official State
      uniform. And it capitalized on long-standing familiarity with rifles,
      and hunting dress. (I know some may think this sounds like its from a
      Davy Crockett movie script, but know that there were small Indian war-
      party raids in east Tennessee, albeit infrequent, into the mid 1790s.)

      In most areas, it appears that men were also free to constitute their
      own independent, uniformed companies. Incredibly, there was no public
      fear or shock at the sight of organized groups of men carrying and
      drilling with guns in public in those times. People actually welcomed
      it. But I digress... Uniformed companies could be found in Baltimore,
      Maryland, and some other cities. Maryland had companies which
      retained the name "Light Infantry" from the RevWar period right up to
      the time of the War of 1812. Baltimore also had a independent "Yager"
      company. (you Prussian fans spelled it as "Jager" or "Jaeger"). At
      the battle of North Point, Baltimore, Maryland in 1814, historical
      records show they functioned as skirmishers, although evidently armed
      with muskets. There was a independent, uniformed "First Baltimore
      Light Infantry Company" at the same battle, that traced back to the
      Revolutionary War. But I have not yet seen evidence they fought
      independently from other line infantry companies in the 5th Regiment,
      Maryland Militia they were attached to. Local military commanders
      attached rifle units to at least a couple of the infantry regiments
      at that battle. But organizationally, a Rifle Battalion was a
      separate entity.

      ... This only gives a few details about variation from State to
      State, and within each State. (As I said, you could fill a small
      book.) US law mandated State militias, but their organization,
      uniforms, training, and fighting quality was a proverbial 'patchwork-
      quilt'. The War of 1812 certainly brought to light many of the
      organizational and political management problems of the US Government
      relying on augmenting US forces with State militias.

      Dave Welch
      Sadtler's Baltimore Yagers Company
      5th Reg't, Maryland Militia

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "dan_055" <dan_055@y...> wrote:
      > This may be a dumb question, but did the American
      > regular regiments have light companies? How about
      > the State or militia regiments?
      >
      > If not, what happened to all the light infantry
      > made famous during the revolution?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Dan
    • dan_055
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        Dave,

        Thanks for the prompt reply, very helpful.

        Dan

      • Annette Gower
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
          Dan ,
          Yes the infantry has light units in the war of 1812 , as well as the Regiment of Rifles , they have a special supplement to the infantry regulation , as light and rifles .
          Lloyd
          This may be a dumb question, but did the American
          regular regiments have light companies? How about
          the State or militia regiments?

          If not, what happened to all the light infantry
          made famous during the revolution?

          Thanks,
          Dan

          ---------------------------------
          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

          American Forces Unit Listing
          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        • machewr
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2005
            Yes, I was curious about this, too. Been reading Smyth's regs of 1812 and he mentions
            two companies of Grenadiers with each battalion. I fear I am still in research 101 and
            hopefully can glean the expertise of this group.

            Were the Grenadiers distinguished from the regular line companies in any way, in uniform,
            function and the like? Were they detached and converged into "light" battalions? Did they
            do any skirmishing like the lights of the British battalions? Or were they indistinguishable
            from the line companies?
          • Brian Howard
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2005
              Dave,
              Davy Crockett aside, Virginia did maintain militia
              companies that were designated "Light Infantry".
              Governor Barbour in Jan of 1812 specified a Light
              Infantry uniform of a blue coat with white collar,
              cuffs, half-lapels, and turnbacks. A white waist coat,
              blue trousers with white seams, and a black round hat
              with a black cockade. Many of the more well to do
              companies designated themsleves as light infantry and
              adopted variations of this uniform regulation.

              As for riflemen, I must say you are incorrect with the
              hunting shirt being the uniform of the rifleman. Yes,
              the 1812 regulation called for a purple hunting shirt
              and purple trousers. The Mathews County Rifle companie
              adopted a uniform of a blue coat with black vest and
              black trousers. The hat was odd but I don't recall
              the exact configuration.

              It's late and I could go into more detail once I get
              my facts together. I will post more at a later time.

              Brian Howard
              2nd Virginia Regt., 1813-1815

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • md5_yager
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
                Brian,
                Your example of the Mathews County company is a good example of what
                I described as an independent, uniformed company. This "Volunteer
                Rifles" company even had their own constitution. The silver
                epaulettes of their officers must have been splendid. Mathews County
                on the Chesapeake Bay is a pretty far piece from the piedmont and
                mountain counties of Virginia, where the militia rifle companies and
                mounted volunteers were not so fashionably dressed.

                One could devote many pages to the colorful variations of uniform to
                be found among many such companies across the States. Many on this
                list probably are familiar with several excellent published sources
                on such. Variety in militia dress stemmed from many factors. North
                Carolina had a volunteer cavalry with with blue round jackets, and
                white pantaloons. But at the start of the war, there was no
                regulation uniform, leading Governor Hawkins had to draw up a design.
                Major William Hamilton was placed in charge of recruiting in North
                Carolina and promised to equip volunteers in "RIFLE DRESS and give
                you your FAVORITE WEAPON". (I daresay the latter was not a Bess or
                Charleville, subject to the limits of supply from US depots and
                contrators.) Hollywood notwithstanding, the dress of Tennessee and
                Kentucky mounted volunteers is legendary.

                As noted in earlier posting, State militias, both volunteers and
                draftees, were heavily relied upon to augment US Forces. A reader had
                asked what became of American light infantry units of the RevWar
                period. I was suggesting that the role of light infantry units among
                State forces was, by 1812, made unremarkable by sheer weight of
                overall militia quotas States were directed to provide.

                I don't think I implied that light infantry units did not exist, or
                see combat. In fact, several in Maryland were employed like quick-
                reaction teams to respond to British landing parties in the
                Chesapeake. But across the spectrum of State units, both volunteer
                and drafted, the record and tactics suggest to me that it was
                frequently ad hoc, "come as you are" campaigns -- by combatants with
                little-to-no formal military training. But as Horseshoe Bend, New
                Orleans and other battles demonstrate, to borrow a phrase they didn't
                have to "dress for success".

                (Now what did I do with that old coonskin cap, it was here
                someplace... <grin>)
                Dave

              • Brian Howard
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
                  Dave,
                  Did not mean to cause you any discomfort and my
                  appologies if I did so with my response. Your
                  Hollywood analogy is correct when it comes to the
                  rifleman image. I remember the movie "The Buccaneer"
                  with Yul Brenner as John Lafeet. Gotta love those
                  early movies especially with Charleton Heston as
                  Jackson.

                  You are on the mark with the variation of the
                  uniforms. Seemed that by the end of the war the
                  militia of Virginia was wearing the uniform of the US
                  army. Governor Barbour issued an order in April of
                  1813 that the militia was to adopt the regular
                  infantry uniform. Seems that this was largely ignored
                  in that the Adjutant General reinterated this order in
                  orders dated March of 1814.

                  By the way, I think my parents still have my coonskin
                  cap in a trunk in their attic. Wonder how much it
                  would go for on Ebay?

                  Brian

                  === message truncated ===

                  __________________________________
                  Discover Yahoo!
                  http://discover.yahoo.com/
                • md5_yager
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
                    Brian,
                    No apology needed. Between us I hope we cleared some of the "fog
                    of war" for readers concerning light infantry and rifle companies of
                    the militia. What is sometimes called the "second British War"
                    or "second war of Independence" was briefer, but undoubtedly more
                    hotly fought, and over a much bigger piece of the continent.

                    If you are associated with Ft. Norfolk, I'll beg the indulgence
                    of the List, to mention Charles Sexton, who had the honor to serve
                    your State's Governor (probably Barbour's successor Nelson). Drafted
                    August 2,1814 at Russell County Court House into Captain John
                    Hammon's Co'y, 5th Reg't, Virginia Militia. Discharged at Ft. Nelson
                    March 20, 1815. His widow applied in 1872 for a pension in his name,
                    for his 231 days service. But only after attesting "that at no time
                    during the late rebellion against the authority of the United States
                    did he adhere to the cause of the enemies of the Government giving
                    them aid or comfort"

                    ... But that "late rebellion" is another story and one for another
                    list.

                    I have the pleasure to be
                    your Mo: ob: servt,
                    Dave Welch