Re: Crap on this list

  • Terry Lubka
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      Mark,
      Of all people I'd have to say you were out of line. First this is an
      egroup for reenactors of the War of 1812. The discussion was about a
      possible act of violence/vandalism at an 1812 event. You make a post
      about "giving the cold steel of a bayonet" to any offenders.
      What kind of comment is that? This is a serious issue and you come up
      with something like this?
      John assumed you were a reenactor of this time frame and being asked
      to be a safety officer at an upcoming 1812 event has to look for
      people who aren't safety minded on the field. With bravado statements
      like yours what do you expect? If it were a joke you were making then
      I'd have to say your timing was off.

      Terry
      25th US
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        I think this is a case of one side taking the other side too seriously
        folks.
        Every one , put the bayonet down, back away, take a deep breath,
        chillax!

        Craig
        On 1-Jun-05, at 10:10 AM, Terry Lubka wrote:

        > Mark,
        > Of all people I'd have to say you were out of line. First this is an
        > egroup for reenactors of the War of 1812. The discussion was about a
        > possible act of violence/vandalism at an 1812 event. You make a post
        > about "giving the cold steel of a bayonet" to any offenders.
        > What kind of comment is that? This is a serious issue and you come up
        > with something like this?
        > John assumed you were a reenactor of this time frame and being asked
        > to be a safety officer at an upcoming 1812 event has to look for
        > people who aren't safety minded on the field. With bravado statements
        > like yours what do you expect? If it were a joke you were making then
        > I'd have to say your timing was off.
        >

        > Terry
        > 25th US

        > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      • John Harris
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
          Mr. Ibbotson
          Sir, with all due respect , you ventured into a very volatile and
          emotionally charged situation. The moderator had requested that the thread
          stop. With your suggestion to use a bayonet on someone, it only added fuel
          to a smoking fire.
          If it was an attempt at humour, well, I guess I didn't get the joke.
          Unfortunately, there are people who can get carried away and I was genuinely
          concerned that someone would think that a bayonet is the answer. Not
          knowing you, I wanted to be sure you were not one. Yes, it seems ridiculous
          but the potential is there.
          I was not aware that you are on this list for research purposes. Being a
          re-enactor's list , I incorrectly assumed that you were a re-enactor. You
          were singled out by me because of your statement. I wanted a clarification
          as to Who and what group you belonged to.
          As for your comments below , Yes, I have an attitude, sometimes you need
          that. Picking on you because I thought you were new and being stupid? Only
          the latter. Cousin Jonathan ? Has no bearing. I play US but I'm Canadian . I
          also play British occasionally.
          Your trip to the colonies . All I can say, is I sincerely hope you have a
          wonderful time. The Niagara Region is a beautiful place and I'm sure you
          will enjoy the area. I don't know what your trying to imply with your
          statement "nothing (not even you mate) can deter me from attending the odd
          show or two." ??? Where did that come from ??
          As far as I'm concerned I feel we have wasted enough of the list members
          time on this issue. The moral of the story is think before you type. As I am
          now on moderated status, this message must be approved before it is posted.
          That's the price you have to pay sometimes.
          In closing Sir, I wish you nothing but the best, and I hope we can put this
          issue behind us.
          Regards
          John Harris

          Message: 1
          Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 08:39:45 -0500
          From: "Mark Ibbotson" <ibbo@...>
          Subject: Crap on this list

          John,

          I am Mark Ibbotson, you singled me out for some reason so here I am!

          I am with no group just an 1812er over in England (old battery has a
          connection with the war), I use this list mainly for research but will and
          should (like we all should) answer posts if I/ we see fit to do so (and I
          dont recall singling anyone out like you have me).

          As for the list, I have been posting here for several years and have been
          involved in many discussions and even sometimes shared some humour (though
          never again with you). If I had singled you out and offended you I would
          gladly appologise but alas I didnt.

          I provided a simple solution to the security scenario that was put on the
          list. Your all happy to re-enact and play soldiers, so do it properly and
          stag on like a good soldier and your men should remain safe (short n sweet
          answer with some lingo thrown in for good measure).

          "Apologies to those who may have been offended. And yes, I'm in a pissy
          mood!"

          And that makes it right for you to single someone out and have a rant does
          it?

          Well John if your security is anything close to your attitude then I am sure
          you will all be fine and secure.

          And my reply was in no way out of line, A good sentry would leave some cold
          steel in his oppo's belly should they try anything on and I beleive that
          cold steel and run through are all terms from the day (valid this day too)
          British soldiers especially know these words (perhaps I could recite the The
          British Bayoneteers for you and get you into the frame of mind I was in when
          I answered the original post).

          Why dont you trawl through the posts and complain about all the ones that
          refer to you as cousin johnathan, that's more racist and bigoted than
          anything i wrote, or are you simply attempting to pick on old Ibbo because
          you simply beleived I was new and been stupid?

          However that said I am determined to visit some old battle sites and " So
          keep your toes crossed I shall appear one day (I be starting at Fort
          Niagara).

          I shall be more than happy to continue our little ravings privately via
          email should you wish to do so.

          Ibbo
          Niagara battery.
          UBIQUE
        • Angela
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
            Well, I have to admit I'm awfully disappointed with the maturity of many of the folks on this newsgroup, and have been since I signed up nearly a year ago. If it weren't for the informative posts and the helpful (and some very nice) people on this list, I'd have bailed long ago.

            This is a list to share information and excitement on the topic of the War of 1812. I cannot believe how common it is for people here to be so belittling in the way they speak to people. It's just plain disrespectful and hurtful. (And very inappropriate).

            Play nice, people! I don't want the next event I attend to require security guards!

            Respectfully,

            Angela Bourbonnais
            www.sandstonecottage.com

            Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:
            I think this is a case of one side taking the other side too seriously
            folks.
            Every one , put the bayonet down, back away, take a deep breath,
            chillax!

            Craig
            On 1-Jun-05, at 10:10 AM, Terry Lubka wrote:

            > Mark,
            > Of all people I'd have to say you were out of line. First this is an
            > egroup for reenactors of the War of 1812. The discussion was about a
            > possible act of violence/vandalism at an 1812 event. You make a post
            > about "giving the cold steel of a bayonet" to any offenders.
            > What kind of comment is that? This is a serious issue and you come up
            > with something like this?
            > John assumed you were a reenactor of this time frame and being asked
            > to be a safety officer at an upcoming 1812 event has to look for
            > people who aren't safety minded on the field. With bravado statements
            > like yours what do you expect? If it were a joke you were making then
            > I'd have to say your timing was off.
            >

            > Terry
            > 25th US

            > THOUSANDS of square miles...

            ---------------------------------
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            American Forces Unit Listing
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          • md5_yager
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
              Hi Angela,
              I would agree that the postings which gave rise to your note
              weren't flattering to anyone. One person's "pissy mood" results in
              another's insult. The flame wars begin.

              Not making excuses for anyone, but safety is a foremost concern to
              those of us who reenact history. North American reenactors create
              risk each time we light a cook fire, stake down a tent rope, or fix
              bayonets. Event sites are usually public property, but they must
              manage risk as well.

              While we hope what we do is interesting to the public, nowhere I am
              aware of are we indemnified from the risks of 'living history'. We
              already have more safety concerns than unpaid volunteers should have
              to deal with, in my view. So wild rumors of arson and provocative
              hints of physical violence have no place here. Besides, they likely
              violate Yahoo's user agreements and perhaps even statutory law. But
              please check your "pissy moods", along with your shootin' irons, at
              the door.

              I'll probably annoy someone somewhere with my remarks. If so, it's
              not my intent to give offense, just my point of view as a re-enactor.
              ... my 2 cents worth, Dave

              Service.