Re: Crap on this list

  • David Marquis
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1 4:13 AM
      Here, Here!!!

      David Marquis
      42d RHR

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ibbotson" <ibbo@m...> wrote:
      > John,
      >
      > I am Mark Ibbotson, you singled me out for some reason so here I am!
      >
      > I am with no group just an 1812er over in England (old battery has
      a connection with the war), I use this list mainly for research but
      will and should (like we all should) answer posts if I/ we see fit to
      do so (and I dont recall singling anyone out like you have me).

      > As for the list, I have been posting here for several years and
      have been involved in many discussions and even sometimes shared some
      humour (though never again with you). If I had singled you out and
      offended you I would gladly appologise but alas I didnt.

      > I provided a simple solution to the security scenario that was put
      on the list. Your all happy to re-enact and play soldiers, so do it
      properly and stag on like a good soldier and your men should remain
      safe (short n sweet answer with some lingo thrown in for good
      measure).

      > "Apologies to those who may have been offended. And yes, I'm in a
      pissy mood!"

      > And that makes it right for you to single someone out and have a
      rant does it?

      > Well John if your security is anything close to your attitude then
      I am sure you will all be fine and secure.

      > And my reply was in no way out of line, A good sentry would leave
      some cold steel in his oppo's belly should they try anything on and I
      beleive that cold steel and run through are all terms from the day
      (valid this day too) British soldiers especially know these words
      (perhaps I could recite the The British Bayoneteers for you and get
      you into the frame of mind I was in when I answered the original
      post).

      > Why dont you trawl through the posts and complain about all the
      ones that refer to you as cousin johnathan, that's more racist and
      bigoted than anything i wrote, or are you simply attempting to pick
      on old Ibbo because you simply beleived I was new and been stupid?

      > However that said I am determined to visit some old battle sites
      and nothing (not even you mate) can deter me from attending the odd
      show or two. So keep your toes crossed I shall appear one day (I be
      starting at Fort Niagara).

      > I shall be more than happy to continue our little ravings privately
      via email should you wish to do so.

      > Ibbo
      > Niagara battery.
      > UBIQUE
      >

      > --
      > Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      > http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
    • Terry Lubka
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1 7:10 AM
        Mark,
        Of all people I'd have to say you were out of line. First this is an
        egroup for reenactors of the War of 1812. The discussion was about a
        possible act of violence/vandalism at an 1812 event. You make a post
        about "giving the cold steel of a bayonet" to any offenders.
        What kind of comment is that? This is a serious issue and you come up
        with something like this?
        John assumed you were a reenactor of this time frame and being asked
        to be a safety officer at an upcoming 1812 event has to look for
        people who aren't safety minded on the field. With bravado statements
        like yours what do you expect? If it were a joke you were making then
        I'd have to say your timing was off.

        Terry
        25th US
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1 7:33 AM
          I think this is a case of one side taking the other side too seriously
          folks.
          Every one , put the bayonet down, back away, take a deep breath,
          chillax!

          Craig
          On 1-Jun-05, at 10:10 AM, Terry Lubka wrote:

          > Mark,
          > Of all people I'd have to say you were out of line. First this is an
          > egroup for reenactors of the War of 1812. The discussion was about a
          > possible act of violence/vandalism at an 1812 event. You make a post
          > about "giving the cold steel of a bayonet" to any offenders.
          > What kind of comment is that? This is a serious issue and you come up
          > with something like this?
          > John assumed you were a reenactor of this time frame and being asked
          > to be a safety officer at an upcoming 1812 event has to look for
          > people who aren't safety minded on the field. With bravado statements
          > like yours what do you expect? If it were a joke you were making then
          > I'd have to say your timing was off.
          >

          > Terry
          > 25th US

          > THOUSANDS of square miles...

        • John Harris
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1 3:31 PM
            Mr. Ibbotson
            Sir, with all due respect , you ventured into a very volatile and
            emotionally charged situation. The moderator had requested that the thread
            stop. With your suggestion to use a bayonet on someone, it only added fuel
            to a smoking fire.
            If it was an attempt at humour, well, I guess I didn't get the joke.
            Unfortunately, there are people who can get carried away and I was genuinely
            concerned that someone would think that a bayonet is the answer. Not
            knowing you, I wanted to be sure you were not one. Yes, it seems ridiculous
            but the potential is there.
            I was not aware that you are on this list for research purposes. Being a
            re-enactor's list , I incorrectly assumed that you were a re-enactor. You
            were singled out by me because of your statement. I wanted a clarification
            as to Who and what group you belonged to.
            As for your comments below , Yes, I have an attitude, sometimes you need
            that. Picking on you because I thought you were new and being stupid? Only
            the latter. Cousin Jonathan ? Has no bearing. I play US but I'm Canadian . I
            also play British occasionally.
            Your trip to the colonies . All I can say, is I sincerely hope you have a
            wonderful time. The Niagara Region is a beautiful place and I'm sure you
            will enjoy the area. I don't know what your trying to imply with your
            statement "nothing (not even you mate) can deter me from attending the odd
            show or two." ??? Where did that come from ??
            As far as I'm concerned I feel we have wasted enough of the list members
            time on this issue. The moral of the story is think before you type. As I am
            now on moderated status, this message must be approved before it is posted.
            That's the price you have to pay sometimes.
            In closing Sir, I wish you nothing but the best, and I hope we can put this
            issue behind us.
            Regards
            John Harris

            Message: 1
            Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 08:39:45 -0500
            From: "Mark Ibbotson" <ibbo@...>
            Subject: Crap on this list

[...]

            However that said I am determined to visit some old battle sites and " So
            keep your toes crossed I shall appear one day (I be starting at Fort
            Niagara).

            I shall be more than happy to continue our little ravings privately via
            email should you wish to do so.

            Ibbo
            Niagara battery.
            UBIQUE
          • Angela
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1 6:17 PM
              Well, I have to admit I'm awfully disappointed with the maturity of many of the folks on this newsgroup, and have been since I signed up nearly a year ago. If it weren't for the informative posts and the helpful (and some very nice) people on this list, I'd have bailed long ago.

              This is a list to share information and excitement on the topic of the War of 1812. I cannot believe how common it is for people here to be so belittling in the way they speak to people. It's just plain disrespectful and hurtful. (And very inappropriate).

              Play nice, people! I don't want the next event I attend to require security guards!

              Respectfully,

              Angela Bourbonnais
              www.sandstonecottage.com

              Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:
              I think this is a case of one side taking the other side too seriously
              folks.
              Every one , put the bayonet down, back away, take a deep breath,
              chillax!

              Craig
              On 1-Jun-05, at 10:10 AM, Terry Lubka wrote:

              > Mark,
              > Of all people I'd have to say you were out of line. First this is an
              > egroup for reenactors of the War of 1812. The discussion was about a
              > possible act of violence/vandalism at an 1812 event. You make a post
              > about "giving the cold steel of a bayonet" to any offenders.
              > What kind of comment is that? This is a serious issue and you come up
              > with something like this?
              > John assumed you were a reenactor of this time frame and being asked
              > to be a safety officer at an upcoming 1812 event has to look for
              > people who aren't safety minded on the field. With bravado statements
              > like yours what do you expect? If it were a joke you were making then
              > I'd have to say your timing was off.
              >

              > Terry
              > 25th US

              > THOUSANDS of square miles...

              ---------------------------------
              Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

              American Forces Unit Listing
              http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            • md5_yager
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2 7:24 AM
                Hi Angela,
                I would agree that the postings which gave rise to your note
                weren't flattering to anyone. One person's "pissy mood" results in
                another's insult. The flame wars begin.

                Not making excuses for anyone, but safety is a foremost concern to
                those of us who reenact history. North American reenactors create
                risk each time we light a cook fire, stake down a tent rope, or fix
                bayonets. Event sites are usually public property, but they must
                manage risk as well.

                While we hope what we do is interesting to the public, nowhere I am
                aware of are we indemnified from the risks of 'living history'. We
                already have more safety concerns than unpaid volunteers should have
                to deal with, in my view. So wild rumors of arson and provocative
                hints of physical violence have no place here. Besides, they likely
                violate Yahoo's user agreements and perhaps even statutory law. But
                please check your "pissy moods", along with your shootin' irons, at
                the door.

                I'll probably annoy someone somewhere with my remarks. If so, it's
                not my intent to give offense, just my point of view as a re-enactor.
                ... my 2 cents worth, Dave

                Service.