Re: La Compagnie Franche de la Marine

  • mmathews@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 28, 1999
      >From: "Robert Van Patten" <orville@...>
      >
      >Perhaps you'd give me a translation of the phrase Compagnie Franche - I
      >would read it in this case as Free" or "Volunteer" Company of the Navy

      I promised I wouldn't post again, but...

      The whole army and navy were theoretically a volunteer force as
      conscription didn't come into play for thirty+ years and press gangs were
      rare in France. ;-) In this context I would make the translation
      "independent," as befitting their intended use and practical organization.
      Just my two centimes.

      Michael

      (snipped old messages)

      Voice: (507) 285-7585 Fax: (507) 280-5568
      "Wit is educated insolence." -- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)