Fort Meigs

  • Carole
    Message 1 of 21 , May 30, 2005
      Hello List,
      I've posted some pictures capturing the spirit of our hobby at Fort
      Meigs to share with those who where not able to join us. Was a
      wonderful time shared by all and a very memorable event. Even Mother
      Nature co-operated with us.... :P

      Carole
      41st Campfollower
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2007
        List:
        I have been away for most of the week, and incommunicado for that time.
        I simply wish to add my strong endorsement to the event at Fort Meigs -
        whether it is a CF event or not. It is also not my intention to
        diminish those events which have been designated CF events in the 2007
        calendar.
        The 41st has been attending Fort Meigs for several years, sometimes as
        the only Brit unit present. And with the loyal assistance of that
        "Hofficer of Engineers", Capt. Gilmour. But we are treated royally, and
        I have nothing but praise for the staff at the fort. Marty and Tamia
        Land are most welcoming, and adaptable.
        Occasionally, as in 2006, unusual and delightful things happen. We were
        able to greet, and escort into the fort a busload of British tourists.
        I think it was the highlight of their tour!
        We also have had the opportunity to try out some independent
        skirmishing tactics in the woods, to great effect and satisfaction.
        It looks as though we will have company this year in the form of the
        two flank companies of the 1st (Royal Scots) at least. This is great
        news - hey, we now have a battalion - Grenadiers - Line - Light Bobs!
        Yr Humble Servant
        R. Hobbs, Captain
        41st Regt.
      • R FELTOE
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2007
          Does anyone have Ken Hall's email address or home phone number.

          Richard

        • larrylozon
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2007
            R FELTOE wrote:

            Does anyone have Ken Hall's email address or home phone number.

            Richard

            It is listed at http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            along with yours

            Yrs.,
            L2
          • Dave McMeekin

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                In a message dated 4/1/07 9:20:43 AM, feltoe@... writes:
                > Does anyone have Ken Hall's email address or home phone number.

                Yes.

                Lt Col give me 5 bob B
                93rd SHRoFLHU
                www.93rdhighlanders.com
                THE Thin Red Line

                Message 7 of 21 , May 24, 2008
                  This weekend is Fort Meigs

                  Visit www.fortmeigs.org
                  to broaden your knowledge of the War Of 1812

                  " Fort Meigs is a War of 1812 battlefield located in Perrysburg,
                  Ohio. A reconstructed fort and museum help bring history alive. Fort
                  Meigs is one of sixty sites owned and operated by the Ohio Historical
                  Society. Along with school tours and interactive displays, a number
                  of reenactments and special events take place here throughout the
                  summer. . ."

                  Fort Meigs was the backdrop for the movie 'First Invasion: The War of
                  1812'.

                  The weather looks glorious for those who are attending this event

                  Yrs.,
                  L2
                • mimathews@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 24, 2008
                    I was there once for the US Memorial Day weekend. They are superb hosts and the site is indeed fantastic. The newish museum is also excellent and many of the blockhouses have nice displays. It never disappointed for any of the numerous events I've attended there in various uniforms.

                    Michael Mathews

                    --
                    A Truism - For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 25, 2009
                      I would like to say thank you to our hosts this weekend at Fort Meigs.

                      A fun weekend! For myself, it was nice to finally come back to the
                      fort after an absence of over a decade.
                      I certainly won't wait that long again until my next visit,

                      Congratulations!

                      Craig Williams
                    • tom4141fournier
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 30, 2011
                        I would like to take a moment to thank the organizers of "First Siege" at Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, Ohio this past weekend.

                        A little bit of rain at night and damp ground did not dampen the ardour of the participants where we had a fun and lively time.

                        The 41st Regiment always counts this as one of our favourite events and we truly value and treasure the friendships that we have with the fort staff, the volunteer association and local units.

                        Your most humble and obedient Servant,

                        Tom Fournier,Captain
                        41st Regiment of Foot
                      • Ray Hobbs
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 30, 2011
                          Dispatch from the Head of the Lake UCMonday, May 30th
                          I am happy to report on the expedition of His Majesty's troops up the Miami River, Ohio, to lay siege at Fort Meigs and to engage the enemy in open battle.The inclement weather overnight did nothing to dampen the ardour of the troops and they fulfilled their duties in exemplary fashion, even though outnumbered.
                          I was privileged to have command of a force consisting of members of the 1st (Royal Scot) Regiment, Grenadier and Light Companies; The 41st Regiment; The 60th Rifles; The Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada, and reinforcements from the Regiment De Meuron and the Glengary Light Infantry. Capt Dubbeld commanded a battery of artillery and Native Warriors assisted in the battles.
                          My thanks go to all participants, and especially the unit commanders, Captain Dennison, Colour Sergeant Stott, Captain Fournier, Sergeant Kelly, Sergeant Newfield, and Captain Dubbeld for their dedication in damp and muddy circumstances. Major Gilmour, of the Royal Engineers was a most supportive Adjutant.
                          On the Saturday we faced a superior force of the enemy, and were successful in taking the field, preserving the guns and forcing the enemy to offer themselves in surrender after suffering many casualties. On Sunday the fortune went to the enemy after a gallant and costly fight by His Majesty's force. The 41st paid dearly for their gallant maintenance of the centre and left wing, a feat which managed to preserve the guns from capture. In this they were accompanied by the IMUC. On the right wing, the light troops harrassed the enemy well, but were unable to restrain their vastly superior numbers. They too suffered much at the hands of the disciplined enemy advance. I had no alternative but to accept the circumstances and to yield to the enemy.
                          During the conflict I suffered a wound to my left arm, but "it was only a flesh wound".
                          Our withdrawal was done with discipline and honour.
                          The staff at Fort Meigs deserve our thanks for their excellent hospitality, and welcome.
                          My hope is that all returned safely from the venture, in spite of serious weather in Ohio and Michigan on our journey home.
                          I remain Your Most Humble and Obedient ServantR. HobbsHon Col.Head of the Lake UC

                        • tom4141fournier
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 30, 2011
                            Photos have been posted on:

                            www.fortyfirst.org