re: 1812 dead link

  • J.Bruce Whittaker
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2005
      Thanks Dave,
      I figured the link may be cumbersome. I am something of a Luddite
      though and "cut and paste" to me usually involves scissors and Elmer's
      glue. :)
      Thanks again.
      Bruce Whittaker
    • Camp Chief
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2005
        And from CTV News Toronto..

        David Randle

        CTV.ca News Staff

        Updated: Mon. May. 30 2005 11:29 AM ET

        After nearly 200 years, the lives of 195 American soldiers who were captured
        by the British during the War of 1812 will be remembered today in Halifax.

        The men died while imprisoned on Melville Island. Most of them were buried
        on nearby Deadman's Island in unmarked graves.

        The land, which is actually a small peninsula of land, was almost sold to
        condo developers five years ago but groups from Halifax and the U.S. helped
        to halt the plans. The land is now owned and protected by the Halifax
        Regional Municipality.

        Today, which is Memorial Day in the U.S., a special ceremony will be held on
        the island to remember the men. The U.S. Consulate is expected to present an
        American flag to the people of Halifax in exchange for a promise to preserve
        the site and honour the memories of the soldiers.

        Leonard Hill, the U.S. consul general in Halifax, says the U.S. Department
        of Veterans Affairs will also unveil a bronze plaque honouring the dead. It
        will be inscribed with the names of the captured Americans who are buried at
        the site.

        The War of 1812 was fought between the United States and Great Britain from
        June 1812 to the spring of 1815 and ended in a stalemate. More than 8,000
        American prisoners were held at the military detention camp on Melville
        Island after being captured in sea battles off New England or in land
        battles in Upper Canada, now Ontario.

        Many of those who died in the prison succumbed to typhus, smallpox,
        pneumonia and tuberculosis, according to British records.

        C Copyright 2002-2006 Bell Globemedia Inc.