Re: Bellydance

  • elisabeth687
    Message 1 of 29 , May 2, 2005
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Angela <deedle_momof3@y...> wrote:

      > I have been trying to find whether or not bellydance would be
      suitable to the 1812 period, but can't find any information. I
      realize it's not typical, but it is authentic? I mean, would there be
      any possibility that there'd have been a woman or her ancestors who
      may have traveled to the Middle East or Latin America? Who is now on
      Sutler's row?

      Well, there were persons of European descent who were captured into
      slavery in the Ottoman Empire; some were women and some were American
      (I don't know if any were American women)--I seem to recall that's
      where the "shores of Tripoly" came into the Marine's history, which
      would seem to put it at the right era--and some were subsequently
      ransomed and went back home. Another possibility would be the wife of
      a diplomat who lived in the Middle East--think Lady Montague and her
      accounts of Turkey.

      There have been several books published in the last year or so with
      articles on Ottoman history and at least one had several articles on
      slavery in the Ottoman Empire. Unfortunately, I can't locate the
      title right now; taking a quick look, I see that I.B. Tauris has
      published several books on different aspects of Turkish history--try
      looking up that publisher's website.

      --Amy C.
    • Angela
      Message 2 of 29 , May 2, 2005
        That was one of my first concerns, Angela - an one I'd like to learn more about.

        Costuming can be made as demure as entire coverage from collar bone to ankle, or even just the eyes, hands and feet exposed; dance styles vary from sensuous to energetic and geared towards all members of the family.

        I'd really love to check out some resources if available on the subject. If bellydance would be appropriate - in which form? Where? When? What style of costuming, exactly? I could make educated assumptions on the topic, but I'd really rather not assume.

        I guess I'm thinking that if it was appropriate in the Cavalier period (let's remember those Victorian era "prudes")!... it'd make sense that it "may" be suitable to our re-enactments in some form or another as well.

        Where to start! I haven't a clue...

        Cheers,
        Angela Bourbonnais

        Angela Gottfred <agottfre@...> wrote:
        >Do you
        > think that a 'Bellydancer'
        > would spice up the Crown Forces Corps of Drums presentation at events
        > or a dull Officer's Mess ....... :^)

        I would've thought that bellydance would be quite scandalous by period
        standards, so it would be most suitable for a gentleman's after-hours
        entertainment...Like, say, at the Beaver Club or other, less-genteel
        establishments (be they permanent or temporary). It's the kind of thing that
        might also have a veneer of respectability, since it is a true depiction of an
        exotic cultural practice (thinking of Mata Hari's dancing, a century later) .

        The other Angela,
        Your humble & obedient servant,
        Angela Gottfred

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Lisiting
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      • Angela
        Message 3 of 29 , May 2, 2005
          Excellent, Amy! This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

          Thank you so much!

          Cheers,
          Angela

          Message 4 of 29 , May 2, 2005
            > That was one of my first concerns, Angela - an one I'd like to learn more
            about.

            > Costuming can be made as demure as entire coverage from collar bone to
            ankle, or even just the eyes, hands and feet exposed; dance styles vary from
            sensuous to energetic and geared towards all members of the family.

            > I'd really love to check out some resources if available on the subject.
            If bellydance would be appropriate - in which form? Where? When? What style
            of costuming, exactly? I could make educated assumptions on the topic, but
            I'd really rather not assume.

            > I guess I'm thinking that if it was appropriate in the Cavalier period
            (let's remember those Victorian era "prudes")!... it'd make sense that it
            "may" be suitable to our re-enactments in some form or another as well.

            > Where to start! I haven't a clue...
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Angela Bourbonnais
            >
            > Angela Gottfred <agottfre@...> wrote:
            > >Do you
            > > think that a 'Bellydancer'
            > > would spice up the Crown Forces Corps of Drums presentation at events
            > > or a dull Officer's Mess ....... :^)
            >
            > I would've thought that bellydance would be quite scandalous by period
            > standards, so it would be most suitable for a gentleman's after-hours
            > entertainment...Like, say, at the Beaver Club or other, less-genteel
            > establishments (be they permanent or temporary). It's the kind of thing
            that
            > might also have a veneer of respectability, since it is a true depiction
            of an
            > exotic cultural practice (thinking of Mata Hari's dancing, a century
            later) .

            > The other Angela,
            > Your humble & obedient servant,
            > Angela Gottfred

            square miles...

          • suthren@magma.ca
            Message 5 of 29 , May 2, 2005
              Dear Angela

              With respect to prudishness in the neoclassical era, I think if anything it
              was a far more libertine era than the stifling Victorian era which followed,
              in which grandparents who had lived much more freely (in relative terms) in
              the Revolutionary/Napoleonic/Regency era were forced to live with a sense of
              nostalgia and enforced guilt amidst far more restrained, prudish and
              inhibited children and grandchildren. You might recall it was as well the
              era of Emma Hamilton and her 'attitudes' in thin Grecian drapery, and the
              charming Empire gowns that shocked later Victorians with their revealing
              styles. As mentioned, your persona could likely be either a
              Turkish/Levantine woman attached to a musician, or indeed a European woman
              having involuntarily experienced Middle Eastern culture; either way, I would
              think it would be a charming addition to the encampments, adding grace and a
              touch of the color and romance which always has been part of our Napoleonic,
              recreated world....

              Vic Suthren
              > That was one of my first concerns, Angela - an one I'd like to learn more
              about.

              > Costuming can be made as demure as entire coverage from collar bone to
              ankle, or even just the eyes, hands and feet exposed; dance styles vary from
              sensuous to energetic and geared towards all members of the family.

              > I'd really love to check out some resources if available on the subject.
              If bellydance would be appropriate - in which form? Where? When? What style
              of costuming, exactly? I could make educated assumptions on the topic, but
              I'd really rather not assume.

              > I guess I'm thinking that if it was appropriate in the Cavalier period
              (let's remember those Victorian era "prudes")!... it'd make sense that it
              "may" be suitable to our re-enactments in some form or another as well.

              > Where to start! I haven't a clue...
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Angela Bourbonnais
              >
              > Angela Gottfred <agottfre@...> wrote:
              > >Do you
              > > think that a 'Bellydancer'
              > > would spice up the Crown Forces Corps of Drums presentation at events
              > > or a dull Officer's Mess ....... :^)
              >
              > I would've thought that bellydance would be quite scandalous by period
              > standards, so it would be most suitable for a gentleman's after-hours
              > entertainment...Like, say, at the Beaver Club or other, less-genteel
              > establishments (be they permanent or temporary). It's the kind of thing
              that
              > might also have a veneer of respectability, since it is a true depiction
              of an
              > exotic cultural practice (thinking of Mata Hari's dancing, a century
              later) .

              > The other Angela,
              > Your humble & obedient servant,
              > Angela Gottfred

              square miles...

              > ---------------------------------
              > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              >
              > American Forces Unit Lisiting
              > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              square miles...

              > --

            • PEGGY Mathews
              Message 6 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                And let us not forget the influence of those coming from or going to India.
                Exotic/erotic dance was imported from there, though not necessarily for
                "polite" society. I'm thinking of the demure Becky Sharpe(?) from Vanity
                Fair as an example. ;-) Been too long since I read the book, but the movie
                certainly had an entertaining dance sequence.

                Michael Mathews

                "The opportunity for brotherhood presents itself every time you meet a human
                being." - Jane Wyman

                (snip)
              • ray hobbs
                Message 7 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                  I'll throw my two cents' worth in here. This for a couple of reasons,
                  [1] as an historian and [2] as the father of a daughter who takes
                  bellydancing lessons. She has no intention of performing it, but what
                  she has learned has dispelled some of the mythology of the craft.

                  First - it is quite possible, even probable that in the Regency period
                  oriental dancing became popular in places like Vauxhall Gardens. As
                  several have already pointed out, things "Turkish", or "Mohammetan"
                  were very popular at this time. There is even a famous print of two
                  "Mohammetans" visiting Vauxhall Gardens in the late 18th century, but
                  as visitors, not performers.
                  Second - equally as probable is that this art was exploited by the
                  clubs and gangs of "Young Turks" (note the epithet) which were
                  sprinkled throughout the London and Brighton society of the day.
                  Third - whether there was public display in military encampments is
                  another matter. Looking at the schedule for the day of the average
                  British encamped soldier, I think it highly unlikely that such things
                  would be allowed, even by the most liberal-minded commanding officer
                  (and they were few!)
                  Fourth - as for the officers' mess, as the popular saying has it "What
                  happens there, stays there". However, I have read a few first-hand
                  descriptions of mess antics, and they seem to me to be rather boring.
                  The cost of having such entertainment would probably be prohibitive.
                  After all, how many such dancers would there be in Canada, or the US at
                  the time?
                  Fifth - I have every support for someone who wants to explore all
                  aspects of Regency society as an aid to improving our impression. The
                  more research the better. However, I have the sneaking feeling that at
                  the current state of our knowledge this falls into the category of "If
                  it was available, they'd have done it".
                  Sixth - Military encampments and barracks were not town fairs.
                  Seventh - now whether the Methodists of Ancaster or Saltfleet engaged
                  in such entertainment is another matter. After all, they did distill
                  some of the best whisky in the Province :-) Come to think of it, Isaac
                  Brock thought that Methodist preaching was a "threat to public order
                  and safety", Lord knows what he would have thought of belly-dancers.
                  Yrs etc.
                  Ray Hobbs
                  41st Regt.

                  On Monday, May 2, 2005, at 04:49 PM, PEGGY Mathews wrote:

                  > And let us not forget the influence of those coming from or going to
                  > India.�
                  > Exotic/erotic dance was imported from there, though not necessarily for
                  > "polite" society.� I'm thinking of the demure Becky Sharpe(?) from
                  > Vanity
                  > Fair as an example.� ;-)� Been too long since I read the book, but the
                  > movie
                  > certainly had an entertaining dance sequence.
                  >
                  > Michael Mathews
                  >

                  > "The opportunity for brotherhood presents itself every time you meet a
                  > human
                  > being." - Jane Wyman
                  >

                  > >From: <suthren@...>
                  > >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                  > >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Bellydance
                  > >Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 16:13:29 -0400
                  > >
                  > >Dear Angela
                  > >
                  > >With respect to prudishness in the neoclassical era, I think if
                  > anything it
                  > >was a far more libertine era than the stifling Victorian era which
                  > >followed,
                  > >in which grandparents who had lived much more freely (in relative
                  > terms) in
                  > >the Revolutionary/Napoleonic/Regency era were forced to live with a
                  > sense
                  > >of
                  > >nostalgia and enforced guilt amidst far more restrained, prudish and
                  > >inhibited children and grandchildren. You might recall it was as well
                  > the
                  > >era of Emma Hamilton and her 'attitudes' in thin Grecian drapery, and
                  > the
                  > >charming Empire gowns that shocked later Victorians with their
                  > revealing
                  > >styles. As mentioned, your persona could likely be either a
                  > >Turkish/Levantine woman attached to a musician, or indeed a European
                  > woman
                  > >having involuntarily experienced Middle Eastern culture; either way, I
                  > >would
                  > >think it would be a charming addition to the encampments, adding
                  > grace and
                  > >touch of the color and romance which always has been part of our
                  > >Napoleonic,
                  > >recreated world....
                  > >
                  > >Vic Suthren

                  <image.tiff>

                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                    In a message dated 5/2/05 3:50:44 PM, ciefranche21e@... writes:

                    > I'm thinking of the demure Becky Sharpe(?) from Vanity
                    > Fair as an example.  ;-)  Been too long since I read the book, but the movie
                    > certainly had an entertaining dance sequence.

                    I would imagine that cinematic representation would be about a accurate as
                    the military bits of that opus Mike!

                    Timothy Pickles
                    1100 Rue Chartres
                    New Orleans
                    Louisiana 70116
                    Tel & Fax: 504 522 4822
                    Mobile: 504 236 7130

                  • Angela
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                      There we have it...
                      Thank you, Mike!

                      Bellydance is the world's oldest known documented dance form. The fact that it's been tainted as a means of erotic entertainment for men is the responsibility of Westernized society. The dance was once used to pantomime the sowing and harvesting of crops, to bless and heal, expel demons, to worship deities, to prepare for childbirth and womanhood, and as most of you have come to know it - for secular entertainment.

                      Nobody knows where it originated, but ancient forms of bellydance have been traced to India, Egypt, Turkey, Tunisia, Hungary, Russia, China, Africa, the Caucasus Mountains, Eastern Europe, Russia, Western Europe and Spain. (I'm probably leaving some out here)!

                      For years (B.C.), it's been customary for bellydancers to entertain family at weddings in the Middle East. A dancer would wear a candelbra on her head to light the way for the wedding party (no streetlights then). Family members would (and still do) get up and dance with the dancer. Middle Eastern men bellydance nearly as often as women. (In their masculine version).

                      As a mother of three young children, I assure you that my goal here is not erotic entertainment for the men among us. What I wonder, is that whether or not an ancient artform such as bellydance could have been found in millitary encampments of the 1812 period in Upper Canada. I almost wonder how such an ancient dance from so many corners of the world could not have found a place.

                      Would it have been shunned as something entirely inappropriate? There's no secret that Western society was (and still is) uncomfortable with sensuality. It's unfortunate that so many have a hard time distinguishing feminine sensuality from overt sexuality - but that's a battle I've grown accustomed to defending.

                      Would it have been possible for a (dancing) woman of any stature to be traveling with the millitary for any reason? If so, how? Would such a thing be frowned upon? Why? I'm interested in your opinions, I truly am. But where can I find some accurate details on the subject? Anybody?

                      Respectfully,

                      Angela Bourbonnais

                      BritcomHMP@... wrote:

                      In a message dated 5/2/05 3:50:44 PM, ciefranche21e@... writes:

                      > I'm thinking of the demure Becky Sharpe(?) from Vanity
                      > Fair as an example. ;-) Been too long since I read the book, but the movie
                      > certainly had an entertaining dance sequence.

                      I would imagine that cinematic representation would be about a accurate as
                      the military bits of that opus Mike!

                      Timothy Pickles
                      1100 Rue Chartres
                      New Orleans
                      Louisiana 70116
                      Tel & Fax: 504 522 4822
                      Mobile: 504 236 7130

                      ---------------------------------
                      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                      American Forces Unit Lisiting
                      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                    • Phil Graf

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                          Angela,
                          A can't comment on "bellydancing" in Upper Canada, but let's look a
                          little closer.
                          I have reference to an Anglican Minister from York visiting the Detroit
                          region in 1793 where he observed MPP William McComb dancing pagan
                          dances with the natives. His letter expresses outrage at the sight
                          (little would he know that this was the annual Fete of the early
                          NWCo.). The Macomb and Edgars of Detroit were invested in the China
                          Trade by 1788, so the question to ponder is whether they brought back
                          any visiting foreign "dignataries" and/or entourage?
                          Considering that the Anglican Church was the only sanctioned and
                          official church in Upper Canada at that time, a phantom "bellydancer"
                          would most definately not meet with approval in the community at large.
                          However having said that, someone else has commented that it was the
                          Victorian age that brought us the common perception of English
                          prudishness. The Regency period was full of rogues, drinking, and
                          experiencing the good life and all the wonderous discoveries the world
                          had to offer. To the adventurous soul, this was akin to a scientific
                          experiment.
                          Just a thought.
                          Murray.

                          Message 12 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Angela <deedle_momof3@y...> wrote:

                            > Would it have been possible for a (dancing) woman of any stature to
                            be traveling with the millitary for any reason? If so, how? Would such
                            a thing be frowned upon? Why? I'm interested in your opinions, I truly
                            am. But where can I find some accurate details on the subject? Anybody?

                            Emma Hamilton has been mentioned, as a woman performing what might
                            have been considered inappropriate "Attitudes" in private for her
                            husband and his guests. Another wife might have Turkish dance talents;
                            I doubt a wife connected with the military would perform publicly,
                            although if her husband was dead, she might need a source of income.

                            For your earlier query about clothing: I did look into late 18th
                            century Turkish costume some years ago and have been trying to
                            remember what I found with only mediocre success. Folkwear
                            (www.folkwear.com) has two patterns that look like reasonable starting
                            points and both have received good reviews on The Great Pattern Review
                            at gbacg.org: Turkish Dancer (108) includes the entari and a vest and
                            short jacket and Sarouelles (119) has shalwar trousers. I don't know
                            where you'd find a pattern for the shift but you might be able to fake
                            it, given a decent description--try for a quote of Lady Mary Wortley
                            Montagu's comments on her Turkish clothing; it's quite detailed,
                            although it's a century too early. There is a chapter on fancy dress
                            including oriental costume in Aileen Ribeiro's The Art of Dress:
                            Fashion in England and France, 1750-1820 which reproduces several
                            paintings of rich ladies in Turkish-inspired costume. There is also a
                            very well-illustrated book called Historical Costume of Turkish Women
                            (Nisantasi, Istanbul: Middle East Video Corp., 1986) that you might be
                            able to get through ILL. I don't think any of the costumes therein
                            date back to 1812, but you might be able to use it for ideas and
                            confirm with research. I know I've seen other books on historic Middle
                            Eastern costume, but it's been a few years and I'm having trouble
                            finding specific titles. I see several perfect books in Library of
                            Congress' catalog, if you live close to DC, but as they have
                            publication dates of 1819 and 1820 I doubt LC would send them anywhere
                            (you can try going to catalog.loc.gov and searching by call number at
                            GT1370 and following to see books on Middle Eastern costume or
                            searching subject headings to get an idea of what has been available
                            in this or other areas of interest).

                            --Amy C.
                          • Len Heidebrecht
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                              Hello Angela, I have a few thoughts to add here.

                              > I have an off the beaten path question here about bellydance. Yes,
                              bellydance.

                              Yes, it is quite a distance off.

                              > Last year I was asked to take part in a medieval re-enactment.

                              Neither the Dark Ages Society, nor Regia Angoreum have such a style
                              of dance, so this must have been the Society for Creative
                              Anachronism.

                              >During that event, there were some bellydancers performing and I
                              was awestruck and taken with the artform immediately!

                              Fantastic. As a dancer myself, I'm always pleased to see someone
                              discovering new forms of the art and the ability to express oneself;
                              though how anyone over the age of six has not ever been subjected to
                              bellydance in some form, is beyond me.

                              > This last year I've been recruited by two local professional
                              troupes and am now performing in restaurants and theatre events.

                              I wish you well in your chosen profession.

                              >Therefore, I'm calling upon anyone who is versed on bellydance in
                              its original form and has appropriate resources for me to research
                              the topic.

                              There are a number of professional researchers on this list who
                              would (for a given and oft quoted hourly fee) spend a great deal of
                              time looking for this information.

                              > I have been trying to find whether or not bellydance would be
                              suitable to the 1812 period, but can't find any information.

                              There is, to my mind at least one possible reason for this.

                              >I realize it's not typical, but it is authentic?

                              No, I am certain that it is not a typical form of entertainment to
                              be found in a reputable camp. I'm sure someone would have mentioned
                              it, Lt John le Couteur being the most likely.

                              >I mean, would there be any possibility that there'd have been a
                              woman or her ancestors who may have traveled to the Middle East or
                              Latin America?

                              Having been in a state of war for almost a generation it is
                              suprising how well travelled people were at this time. Actually
                              whole regiments, many of which served in North America, visited
                              places such as Egypt, India and Argentina.

                              >Who is now on Sutler's row?

                              Please see previous postings on the topic of sutlers. There is a
                              wonderful 1790s drawing of one possible person being drummed out of
                              Hyde Park.

                              >It's ancient, it's artistic and would add such a wonderful flair to
                              our events.

                              Yes, so would elephant rides.

                              >I just wonder how it could be appropriate to a British/American war
                              re-enactment. I have an inkling it isn't - but I really want to
                              discover it is!

                              Professor Hobbes has made an appropriate comment to this in his last
                              paragraph.

                              Thankyou so much for your interest in our hobby and area of study
                              though I do feel the Society for Creative Anachronism is more likely
                              fit for your interests.

                              Cheers,

                              Len
                            • Angela
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                Dearest Len,

                                I'm not sure whether or not you meant your post to be informative or humorous, but I found it insulting.

                                As far as professions go, I am a Systems Analyst.

                                As for the SCA being an outlet for my re-enacting interests, this will be my third year on sutler's row as a chandler and soap boiler. I'm still fairly new, but have taken a good deal of time, effort, research and expense to portray myself with historical accuracy. I've made errors and take pride enough to fix the mistakes I've made. Odds are - I'll make more, but each year will be better than the last.

                                I suppose I could go beyond these statements in the name of defensiveness, but speaking respectfully to others has always been a quality of mine. For a small fee, I may entertain the idea of sharing a little lesson or two with you on how to speak to others as equals.

                                In the meantime; happy re-enacting.

                                Regards,
                                Angela Bourbonnais

                              • PETER CATLEY
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                  On this Tim and I agree! as far as I recall Becky
                                  didn't visit India in the original novel, that was a
                                  Bollywood add on for the spectacular effect allong
                                  eith the Russett Rangers.

                                  Cheers

                                  P**

                                  ---------------------------------

                                  ciefranche21e@... writes:

                                  > I'm thinking of the demure Becky Sharpe(?) from
                                  Vanity
                                  > Fair as an example. ;-) Been too long since I read
                                  the book, but the movie
                                  > certainly had an entertaining dance sequence.

                                  I would imagine that cinematic representation would be
                                  about a accurate as
                                  the military bits of that opus Mike!

                                  Timothy Pickles
                                  1100 Rue Chartres
                                  New Orleans
                                  Louisiana 70116
                                  Tel & Fax: 504 522 4822
                                  Mobile: 504 236 7130

                                  The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the
                                  fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America,
                                  hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
                                  miles...

                                  ---------------------------------
                                  Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                                  American Forces Unit Lisiting
                                  http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                                  Terms of Service.
                                • Angela Gottfred
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                    > as far as I recall Becky
                                    > didn't visit India in the original novel, that was a
                                    > Bollywood add on for the spectacular effect along

                                    Yes, I think they got confused with Italy. They both begin with an "I", you see.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                      Dear Angela

                                      I hope you will proceed with your efforts to recreate the possible
                                      appearance and repertoire of a 'raisa' of 'baladi' as she might have
                                      appeared in the 1790s-1815 timeframe. True, it has little to do with the
                                      largely military focus of the majority of our re-enactment activity, nor was
                                      it likely an art form or entertainment seen on the Upper Canadian or
                                      Michigan frontier. It nonetheless would add a flash of color from the wider
                                      Napoleonic world that the Invasion of Egypt and the Turkish fascination of
                                      the age so represent, and which must have touched our shores in one way or
                                      another.

                                      The Naval Establishment, Crown Forces North America, wishes to extend an
                                      invitation to you to be a respected guest of the Naval Encampment at any
                                      time.

                                      Vic Suthren
                                      > > didn't visit India in the original novel, that was a
                                      > > Bollywood add on for the spectacular effect along
                                      >
                                      > Yes, I think they got confused with Italy. They both begin with an "I",
                                      you see.

                                      > Your humble & obedient servant,
                                      > Angela Gottfred

                                      square miles...

                                      > --

                                    • bmitcheca
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                        Hi Angela,

                                        Here is another site that I have just registered with that could give
                                        you some of the historical references that you were looking for.

                                        www.milescopeland.net/bellydance/home/

                                        I am a sutler as well and it would be great speaking with you about
                                        this great hobby.

                                        Beth Mitchell
                                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 4, 2005
                                          In a message dated 2/05/2005 7:32:08 AM, suthren@... writes:

                                          > But I'd risk the
                                          > thought that it would be colourful and an addition, even if more the
                                          > atmosphere of Napoleon's campaign in Egypt than William Henry Harrison
                                          > pursuing Tecumseh.....

                                          Just what I was about to say!
                                          So when are we having an Egypt event? (NOT actually IN Egypt, mind!)

                                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                                          93rdhighlanders.com
                                          THE Thin Red Line

                                        • ray hobbs
                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 4, 2005
                                            Dear Thin :-)
                                            My archaeological expedition for six years was at Tel Dor, Israel. It
                                            used to be known as Tanturah, and was one of the sites of a pause in
                                            Nappy's journey back to Egypt after Acre.
                                            In the museum at the site there are numerous encrusted cannons and
                                            muskets, a few sabres and other swords as well. Many were found on the
                                            seabed by the underwater team from the University of Haifa, others were
                                            found on site and had been buried for 180 years.
                                            Now this ain't Egypt today, but when Napoleon went through it was
                                            governed by Egypt as a province of the Ottoman Empire.
                                            I would love to see a battle or skirmish over land that has seen
                                            thousands of years of civilisation and warfare - and hot! Talk about
                                            hot! 40 Celsius by midday onsite (for those still using Fahrenheit -
                                            very hot). Wool uniforms - just what was needed.
                                            Egypt today - India tomorrow, and then the Fever isles - now that would
                                            be reenacting!
                                            Ray H
                                            41st Foot

                                            On Wednesday, May 4, 2005, at 03:10 PM, HQ93rd@... wrote:

                                            > In a message dated 2/05/2005 7:32:08 AM, suthren@... writes:
                                            >

                                            > > But I'd risk the
                                            > > thought that it would be colourful and an addition, even if more the
                                            > > atmosphere of Napoleon's campaign in Egypt than William Henry
                                            > Harrison
                                            > > pursuing Tecumseh.....
                                            > >

                                            > Just what I was about to say!
                                            > So when are we having an Egypt event? (NOT actually IN Egypt, mind!)

                                            > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                            > 93rdhighlanders.com
                                            > THE Thin Red Line

                                            > THOUSANDS of square miles...

                                            > �� ---------------------------------
                                            > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                                            > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                                            >
                                            > American Forces Unit Lisiting
                                            > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                                            <image.tiff>

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            > �
                                            > �

                                          • lalozon
                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 4, 2005
                                              From: "ray hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>

                                              " ... I would love to see a battle or skirmish over land that has seen
                                              thousands of years of civilisation and warfare - and hot! Talk about hot!
                                              40 Celsius by midday onsite (for those still using Fahrenheit - very
                                              hot)...

                                              For my American friends that's 104 Fahrenheit!

                                              40 Celsius = 104 Fahrenheit

                                              But it is a dry heat ...

                                              similar to putting one's head in the oven !

                                              L2
                                            • ray hobbs
                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 4, 2005
                                                L2
                                                Not a dry heat - very, very humid on the coast. Prevailing west wind
                                                from the Mediterranean Sea.
                                                More like being boiled in a pan.
                                                :-)
                                                RH

                                                On Wednesday, May 4, 2005, at 06:03 PM, lalozon wrote:

                                                > From: "ray hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>
                                                >

                                                > " ... I would love to see a battle or skirmish over land that has seen
                                                > thousands of years of civilisation and warfare - and hot! Talk about
                                                > hot!
                                                > 40 Celsius by midday onsite (for those still using Fahrenheit - very
                                                > hot)...
                                                >

                                                > For my American friends that's 104 Fahrenheit!
                                                >
                                                > 40 Celsius = 104 Fahrenheit
                                                >
                                                > But it is a dry heat ...
                                                >
                                                > similar to putting one's head in the oven !
                                                >

                                                > L2

                                                > THOUSANDS of square miles...

                                              • Angela
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 16, 2005
                                                  G'Day Folks,

                                                  Well, I'm tickled right pink! My husband has finally decided to join me in a re-enactment event this summer. He and our three children will be accompanying me on Sutler's Row at Wasaga Beach. After three years of pestering him, I really want him to enjoy this as the family event I've worked it up to being.

                                                  Our three children are ages 2, 5 and 8. This was a last minute decision and there's no time to order and games via Jas Townsend or the like. Does anyone have any suggestions for games for us and the children? My husband is handy with woodwork and he'd have no problem whipping something up in time - I just haven't seen many family games around camp so am at a loss for ideas. My Google searches aren't helping much at all, unfortunately!

                                                  Regards,

                                                  Angela Bourbonnais (who's speed sewing their costumes)

                                                • Peter Monahan
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 17, 2005
                                                    Angela

                                                    In addition to the Squire's suggestion, a skipping rope made of real rope and/or a rag stuffed ball (of leather orm cloth)would be appropriate for any age. A cutout wooden musket or pistol, while not "PC" in 2005 terms is very appropriate for 1812 and popular with all ages. In a pinch, crooked branches work too!

                                                    You can probably recruit some olders as "sitters" who mwould take the littlers ona tour of the camp to meet the dogs and other kids too. Ask when you check in which families are there. Most of our young adults are very responsible that way! Hope to see you there.

                                                    Peter Monahan,
                                                    Royal Nfld Reg't

                                                    From: Angela <deedle_momof3@...>
                                                    Date: 2005/07/16 Sat PM 03:17:08 EST

[...]