Re: [SPAM] [WarOf1812] Digest Number 2425

  • PEGGY MATHEWS
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2005
      Well John, without reopening old wounds or cluttering the mailer, we feel we made a sincere and significant effort to fit/adapt into the scene without success. So although we have been invited to participate in a few events in our alternate portrayal, by and large the unit has chosen to walk away from 1812 reenacting if we aren't welcome across the board.

      For myself, as Eric Matthews points out (no relation <grin>) I am kitted out to take the field as a Glengarry, 95th Rifle, de Watteville Regiment and as a Captain of Militia in the Canadian Corps of Voyageurs. Hence my occasional signature of Michael "coats of many colors" Mathews.

      If you are interested in the full story of our trials and guilty verdict please contact me off list. I'd be willing to clear up some of the myths, but don't want to bore the disinterested. Just bear in mind it remains a sore subject with me personally. Or, we can sit down with a medicinal beverage at the GT and chat. Perhaps a better idea.

      Michael Mathews (uniforms in red, white, blue and green)

      ps. In the 95th we have a wealth of Michaels and even two Michael Mathews, even if one does misspell his last name. <VBG>

      Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:00:55 -0500
      From: "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@...<mailto:ciefranche21e@...>>
      Subject: Re: Battle of Austerlitz, December 2005

      BTW, over 1800 French registered so far, and it's still April! Oh, and
      "boooooo" on allowing Red-coated units. This is the 200th anniversary after
      all, not some rinky-dink backyard event. Just my opinion, no offense
      intended to our extended reenacting family. Just disappointed with the
      organizers.

      Michael Mathews
      Sergeant-major, 3e Cie, 21eme Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne

      So does this mean that the "3e Cie, 21eme Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne"
      will don US/Brit uniforms when they come out to a War of 1812 re-enactment??
      Just asking with no offence intended !
      Regards
      John Harris
      25th US Infantry

    • PETER CATLEY
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2005
        Avoiding the uniform issue :-)

        Just watched Anteques Road Show this evening which was
        from Toronto and the introduction featured Fort York
        complete with a redcoat sentry and a young drummer in
        a yellow jacket. They didn't identify the period as
        the war of 1812, I guess because very few here would
        know what they were talking about!

        Shots were good though.

        P**