Marks of Respect - Naval Establishment

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005
      General Signal

      Naval Establishment
      Crown Forces North America

      Payment of Marks of Respect

      Grand Encampment of 1812
      Navy Hall
      Fort George National Historic Site
      Niagara-on-the-lake,
      Ontario
      15-17 July 2005

      With the likelihood of a large and continually observing public audience through the weekend, and to enhance the 'naval' experience for all concerned, participants are asked to remember when possible to pay marks of respect to more senior officers throughout the weekend---and senior officers are to respond appropriately.

      1. Seaman to Officer of Any Rank, when passing him:

      Touch the hand (knuckles or first two fingers) to the brim of the hat, or to the forehead (if hatless). Officer to respond similarly or by lifiting his hat briefly.

      2. Seaman to Officer of Any Rank, if standing and addressing him:

      Remove headdress with either hand and remain 'uncovered' until conversation is over. Officer to respond to the first removal by touching his own hat or lifting it briefly.

      3. Junior Officer to Senior Officer, passing:

      Touch the hat brim or briefly lift the hat. Senior officer to respond in kind.

      4. Junior Officer to Senior Officer, if standing and addressing him:

      Remove headdress until asked by Senior Officer to "Recover, if you please". Senior officer to reply to first uncovering by a touch of his hat or lifting it briefly.

      5. Marines

      As instructed by the Officer of Marines.

      I have the Honour to be
      Yours
      with great Regard

      Victor Suthren

      Squadron Commodore pro tem
      Naval Establishment
      Crown Forces North America

      G O D S A V E T H E K I N G .

    • Colin
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005
        Not to be a square, "too hardcore" or anything in that way,but I think
        that while in uniform during public visiting hours, or in "character"
        even with out the public, Saluting and most other military courtesies
        should be extended. We as a unit do it a vast majority of the time
        because we are around the Navy, Marine Corps and other Service people
        so much, but I rather enjoy doing it at events.

        2 wooden nickles worth
        PRIVATE C. Murphy
        USS CON
        1812 MG
      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005
          I couldn't agree more, Colin. I saw some of your lads---perhaps you---at the
          launch of the 1812 schooner "Lynx' in Maine in 2001, and your bearing---and
          comportment---in that regard were superb. Very much a standard to emulate.

          Vic
          > Not to be a square, "too hardcore" or anything in that way,but I think
          > that while in uniform during public visiting hours, or in "character"
          > even with out the public, Saluting and most other military courtesies
          > should be extended. We as a unit do it a vast majority of the time
          > because we are around the Navy, Marine Corps and other Service people
          > so much, but I rather enjoy doing it at events.
          >
          > 2 wooden nickles worth
          > PRIVATE C. Murphy
          > USS CON
          > 1812 MG

          square miles...

          > --

        • Will Woods
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
            Could anyone on list recommend a source for info on children (1812
            and Napoleonic) who were campfollowers, drummers, etc.
            - Will Woods
          • Colin
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
              Vic,
              It doesn't hurt when your unit has nearly 600 combined years in the
              USMC (probably more since we have grown exponentially this past year)
              and another 1-200 in the other sevices as well as serious historians,
              PROUD sons of veterans (yours truely among others) and the priveledge
              of serving on board an active duty warship. Thank you for the
              comments. We do try, we shall continue to improve and we shall always
              hold those who serve (served) and those who "go down to the sea" (for
              all purposes) in the highest regard.
              Highest Regards Sir!
              C. Murphy