Battle of Austerlitz, December 2005

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2005
      ========================

      "TO: ALL CROWN FORCES"

      ========================

      Sirs,

      I am directed to forward the following

      Unit Commanders, Please Inform your members,

      L. Lozon ~ AdC-CFNA
      ==================================

      Monday April 25, 2005

      It has been brought to the attention of The CROWN FORCES NORTH
      AMERICA that the organisers of
      the Battle of Austerlitz 2005 http://www.austerlitz2005.com/en/
      November 30th ~ December 4th
      have now agreed to allow "RED COAT 1812 SOLDIERS" to participate in the
      battle re-enactments this December.

      To this end Peter Twist would like to have numbers of musketmen per
      unit interested in going to Austerlitz this December delivered to him, May
      7-8 at the Battle of Longwoods Event near London Ontario.
      (or email Unit and number of MUSKETMEN interested to lalozon@... )

      Air fares, hotels, etc. are not confirmed as of yet, 'definite-maybe'
      numbers are required first.

      A meeting will be held on the Battle of Longwoods weekend as to the "RED
      COAT 1812 SOLDIERS" being allowed to participate, which changes the numbers
      of those attending, as only French were to be permitted.

      Ray Hobbs who lived in Prague for many years will be asked to address the
      units as to what to expect in the Czech Republic during this event.

      Michael Mathews is also working towards Austerlitz 2005 in the USA and
      this notice is only for those expecting to fly from Toronto Airport.

      Austerlitz 2005 may turn out to be the Waterloo of 1990/1995 ... only
      larger!

      =======
    • PEGGY MATHEWS
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
        Just for the record, the travel package I have been working on also covers flying out of Toronto, since the 21eme proudly has Canadian members. It involves flying into Prague with a wee bit of tourist time, coaching to the battle, playing and back to Prague, home by the Monday following the event thanks to time changes. Our travel agent has also worked with others who wanted to go early or stay longer. Just for your information.

        BTW, over 1800 French registered so far, and it's still April! Oh, and "boooooo" on allowing Red-coated units. This is the 200th anniversary after all, not some rinky-dink backyard event. Just my opinion, no offense intended to our extended reenacting family. Just disappointed with the organizers.

        Michael Mathews
        Sergeant-major, 3e Cie, 21eme Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne

        the Battle of Austerlitz 2005 http://www.austerlitz2005.com/en/<http://www.austerlitz2005.com/en/>

        (or email Unit and number of MUSKETMEN interested to lalozon@...<mailto:lalozon@...> )

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
          In a message dated 4/30/05 3:03:07 PM, ciefranche21e@... writes:

          > BTW, over 1800 French registered so far, and it's still April!  Oh, and
          > "boooooo" on allowing Red-coated units.  This is the 200th anniversary after
          > all, not some rinky-dink backyard event.  Just my opinion, no offense intended
          > to our extended reenacting family.  Just disappointed with the organizers.

          As one who plays in a red coat I agree with you 100% Mike if I go I can
          assure you it will not be in a red coat unless I am invited to play Sir Robert
          Wilson, (and I am not holding my breath) Wht's dificult about wearing a greatcoat
          and French, Russian or Austrian headgear?

          Timothy Pickles
          1100 Rue Chartres
          New Orleans
          Louisiana 70116
          Tel & Fax: 504 522 4822
          Mobile: 504 236 7130

        • PETER CATLEY
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
            I understand that the event is seen as a celebration
            of the Napoleonic Wars and not specifically a
            re-enactment of the Battle of Austerlitz.

            Red coats allowed, as are French uniforms not related
            to 1805 such as the Imperial period :-) and perhaps
            they'll look at the Battle as a spectacular rather
            than a re-enactment and then the result could be up
            for grabs as well hee.hee.hee ~ Evil thoughts.

            Cheers Mike!

            P**

            --- PEGGY MATHEWS <ciefranche21e@...> wrote:
            ---------------------------------
[...]

            The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the
            fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America,
            hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
            miles...

            ---------------------------------
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            American Forces Unit Lisiting
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            Terms of Service.
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
              In a message dated 4/30/05 4:11:40 PM, peter.catley@... writes:

              > I understand that the event is seen as a celebration
              > of the Napoleonic Wars and not specifically a
              > re-enactment of the Battle of Austerlitz.

              Ooooo how wonerfully politicaly corect, perhaps we could all join in a big
              ring and sing 'We Are the World' while doves of peace are released from the
              Pratzen Heights.
              I can quite see commemorating a war but quite why one might wish to
              'celebrate' war strikes me as odd. If Napoleons greatest victory is to be turned into
              some sort of 'all inclusive love fest' what chance that Waterloo 2015 will be a
              celbration of the death of the nation state and the rise of the homogonized
              European, lord help us!

            • PETER CATLEY
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
                Perhaps celebration was the wrong adjective to use but
                it is not intended as a specific re-enactment of
                Austerlitz, rather like Mississinewa isn't a
                re-enactment.

                Cheers

                P**

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
                  In a message dated 4/30/05 5:02:52 PM, peter.catley@... writes:

                  > Perhaps celebration was the wrong adjective to use but
                  > it is not intended as a specific re-enactment of
                  > Austerlitz, rather like Mississinewa isn't a
                  > re-enactment.

                  Ah but Peter, Mississinewa is NOT a bicentennial, and not even on the actual
                  date. I believe that Martin does have plans, or at least is looking seiously
                  at, having a one off re-creation of the actual thing for the 200th in December
                  and only featuring Insians and US cavalry.

                  Back when we started Napoleonic re-enacting (35 years ago) one of the dreams
                  we looked forward to was re-creating the battles on the 200th anniversaries.
                  Personaly I have no objection to all sorts of anacronistic troops being there
                  at any other time but that people can't be bothered to get something correct
                  toether for the 200th anniversary of such a great event, or that the organizers
                  would permit it, strikes me as pathetic, sorry but it does.

                • PETER CATLEY
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2005
                    I respect ypu right to your views on the matter, I
                    just don't share it, however there is nothing to be
                    gained in a prolonged animated discussion, after all
                    we have the basic options :-)

                    Cheers

                    P**